[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hendrix at vet overnight
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I keep praying Hendrix continues to get better for you, Clare. I can handle giving Raiden a pill. He tries to fight, but he's not very good at it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, I think he's improving... he's definitely not using the trays as much and his bottom isn't quite so sore looking. He is now refusing the tablets though. I don't know how he does it, but he manages to hawk them up every time and then glowers at us daring us to try again. I tried making my own pill pockets with teeny tiny slices of pill in each but he wasn't to be fooled...

Just hope his faecal test is clear and he just ate something that he severely reacted to.

Especially as Jagger is also now on antibiotics for an entirely separate issue - he's been bitten but I got a liquid antibiotic for him and fortunately he accepts in his wet food. Thank goodness for small mercies!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad he is on the mend, hopefully he will go from strength to strength.

I've never had a problem with pill giving, I just grab the scruff tightly bending head backwards until mouth opens, then shove it in as quickly and as far back as possible, close mouth holding it shut with hand and rub neck until they swallow.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ok so the vet called. No parasites or viruses detected. But a bacteria called clostridium was. Does anyone know anything about this?

She said there may be an underlying cause such as IBD, but I'm picking up tablets for him tomorrow (apparently not so foul tasting and are flavoured) which hopefully he'll accept in pill pockets or prawns. I'm on my own again now so I need him to cooperate!

At least we're moving forward I guess. Although I was hoping there would be nothing detected and he would get better with no more pills!

He is better in himself, has his appetite back but he's still loose.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have not heard of the name of this, but I know of IBD as my previous boy had it all his life.

Hope the tablets help him to get better.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He had a funny tummy right from the time we had him.

When he was 2 it got really bad, it was like explosive diarrhoea, it poured out of him, the vet thought it was IBD the only way to tell was to do a biopsy on his gut, this proved positive.

They needed to start him on steroids but had to wait for his gut to repair after the operation, in that time he dropped from 16 pounds to only 8 he looked like a bag of bones.

We started on steroid tablets every day, plus chemotherapy tablets every day and B12 injection every month.

Slowly he put back on all the weight and the diarrhoea cleared up.

The vet warned me there was a small chance it could turn to cancer.

We had 3 more good years with no problems, then on day he was in pain, I rushed him to the vets and they scanned him to find he had cancer and his intestine had ruptured, we decided to operate and they took out the piece of gut, but sadly he only made it another 3 weeks, I brought him home but the next day the vet had to come and help him on his way.

But apparently his was a very bad case and most can be managed with medication successfully, I was just unlucky.

We managed OK for his 5 years we had him, we got into a routine of medicine and vet visits, which there were a lot of them.

But hopefully Hendrix wont have it or if he does it won't be so severe.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I guess you have figured out that the bacteria is normal in a cat, but higher levels of it can create vomiting and diarrhea. What happened to Jagger? Was he attacked by something? You've really got your hands full, with Jon away and your working full time! I'm just so happy Raiden is sleeping in a chair next to me! Peace at last!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, levels can be increased through spoiled food etc as well from what I've read. Started him on the pills today. He is a bugger though, he kept spitting it out after eating the prawn! Anyway, I cut it up into smaller pieces and put into some very smelly treats he loves and eventually got it down him. I'm going to get through a lot of treats as its twice a day for a week lol. Fortunately I don't need to worry about him getting overweight right now as he has lost weight.

There is a new cat in the area which is very aggressive and determined to invade our garden. I think he was the cat that bit Jagger as he was at it again yesterday morning and I found a collar on the patio after jagger was bitten last week. I caught it twice with my water pistol yesterday but it didn't care and still went for jagger. He's ok though and happily sprawled out in the conservatory right now.

They've been really good boys this week which makes a change! I just wish Hendrix would stop bringing me mice home! Especially the ones that are still alive....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clostridium difficile is a naturally occurring bacterium that can take over the digestive tract and who's toxins produce a membrane lining the colon and preventing it from reabsorbing water resulting in explosive, watery diarrhea.

It is common enough in the frail elderly population (I am a medical nurse) and quite contagious among immunocompromised individuals including the very young and the very old.

Please understand that the best way to disinfect this organism is bleach. Alcohol based disinfectants do not work. Be careful when handling the litter as well. Wash your hands brusquely with soap and water. Bleach and abrasion are the best defense.

Please also know that this organism can survive a long time in the gut and the stool can test negative for CDiff after a short course of treatment but that is not an indication that the host is out of the woods. Make sure your boy gets the entire regimen of antibiotic, even if he stops showing symptoms.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks kyenta, that's really helpful. It was pretty explosive to the point just meowing would cause him to lose control. Poor thing. Unfortunately I have a suppressed immune system as I have inflammatory arthritis but I have been ultra careful with the litter trays! The good news is that he is taking the pills chopped up in a little food so I will be able to get the full course down him which is a massive relief. I'll bleach all the trays again today as well and the floors again.

At least jagger hasn't been affected! But he has a stomach made of iron compared to Hendrix. They haven't suggested treating him as well but I have to check in with the vet this week and give an update so I'll ask them if they think I should treat him too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, please be careful with spraying water on the other cat. I tried that many years ago and was viciously attacked by the cat. I have the scars to prove it. My cat that he was tormenting disappeared that night. You're letting your cats outside -- there is nothing you can do to prevent cat fights or protect Jagger and Hendrix from the effects of an outdoor tom cat that may have some infectious disease.

Hope everything works out for Hendrix with these meds.