[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Hendrix at vet overnight
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hendrix at vet overnight
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My poor boy started diarrhoea Friday night. He was pretty bad Saturday, but seemed a bit better yesterday. It's nothing new, he has a sensitive tummy so I gave him probiotics and cut down his food a bit to try and rest his gut.

Got home today, every tray used and he'd been sick.

Took him to the vet and he was literally expelling mucus from his backside. They kept him in to collect poo and ensure the sickness didn't get worse etc and to monitor him.

So upset and missing my boy :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear that... Must be so upsetting, he's in the best hands I'm sure xxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Darn, I hope that turns out ok. I know how upsetting that can be. Let us know?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh no Clare. Thinking of you. Big hugs to you all xxx

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The vet said she'd call me this morning with an update and if I can pick him up to go home. I've packed a bag though with his food, a blanket he's been laying on at home and a couple of worn tops of mine and Jon's just in case. The vet is just down the road from where I work so hopefully I can pop in and give him a cuddle if he's not allowed home.

She did say she'd be more worried if he hadn't been so vocal about it all. They will test for giardia and tf but said tf very rare around here. I think he's eaten something he shouldn't have personally. The main reason they kept him in was in case of dehydration or if it was infectious to try and protect Jagger and even us, especially if the sickness and secretions from his bottom ended up all over the house.

Praying its nothing too major but she was a bit taken aback by the bodily fluids just pouring out of him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Clare, I hate to hear this. Poor Hendrix! I've been there with Raiden, although the vet has never kept him overnight. I'm so fast on the draw that Raiden doesn't have a chance to get dehydrated. The vet is like 2 miles down the street. It could easily be something he ate that he shouldn't have. Raiden has been eating leaves on our walk. I took him to the vet over a week ago as he was vomiting and not interested in food and definitely did not cry at all and refused to go outside for a walk. They ran every test on him and everything came back negative. It took three days before he finally felt better. These little munchkins get into things they shouldn't -- and with Hendrix's sensitive tummy anyway -- it's harder on him.

I hope he gets to come home. {{HUGS}}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor Hendrix, hope they find out what it is and get him sorted out.

My previous boy was always in and out of the vets with bouts of diahorea, I know what it's like.

Some of them do have problems with sensitive stomachs, let's hope it's something simple and he's home soon xx

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's back home with Jon now but I'm at work :mad: . I did go to the vet to collect him and get the lowdown though (its just down the road from where I work) and he was soooo happy to see us! He'd been a perfect boy whilst there though and just sat in his cage looking decidedly unimpressed with everything :lol:

They still don't know what the issue is, he didn't really eat much whilst there, but he's had a couple of anti-nausea injections and probiotic paste and was starving when he got home. He didn't have any other episodes whilst there, but she said she kept him in as she was so concerned about the stuff he was emitting. We need to keep him in for a couple of days so we can monitor him and check on the 'poo situation' so that will be fun (but I'll be at work and missing the complaining!).

I'm calling them tomorrow morning to let them know how he's doing. Thank you for all your good wishes and I'll keep you informed of progress xx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well he's still pretty poorly. I think the fact he barely ate at the vets was the reason he didn't have any more diarrhoea! However, I've managed to get some samples, I'm taking it to the vet later today and picking up some medicine to try and reduce the inflammation in his stomach. The samples will be tested but I won't know the results for about a week and in the meantime, we have to pill him twice a day - so that will be fun!

I lost count of the times he had to use his tray last night, and then a couple of hours after breakfast, the poor lad is at it again.

Hopefully if this medicine works he'll start to put some weight back on as he is losing weight fast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm 
Bengal Cat

I'm really sorry to hear Hendrix is poorly. Hopefully the tests will show nothing serious, or else something that can be easily treated. I have all my fingers crossed for him (and you!) that the medicine helps, and he's soon back to bouncing around happily again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had to give Raiden anti-nausea pills for three days. Ugh! They thought about giving him a shot but figured this was better. Clare, it just takes time for this to run its course! It was three days for Raiden. He didn't have diarrhea but he was constipated and could not go.

Hopefully Hendrix will get to feeling better. Raiden didn't want to eat much either, but his appetite increased each day and now he's back to normal. With Hendrix and Jagger being outdoors -- they can find anything to get into. They an step on something and then groom it off. There is no telling what caused this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, one step forward, two steps back... His 'poo' is a better colour, still very, very runny and still using the tray a lot, but not as much as before. His bottom is still very sore though, poor thing.

We started the antibiotic Wednesday evening. Out of three doses, he's been sick afterwards twice. I'm hoping some of it has been absorbed as last time it was about an hour afterwards but still a lot of Undigested food. It is a side effect of the drug although could also be that he's still got a very inflamed large colon. I'll speak to the vet later to see if it's worth also giving anti-nausea tablets.

Will be glad to get the results of the faecal tests. If they are negative and he's still not better, he'll have a blood test and imaging Etc to look at other possibilities such as IBD.

It's been a week now since I noticed he had diarrhoea, and he is as light as a feather through weight loss. Just want some food to stay in him and build him up a bit again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

With my girl Mina when she got like that although she was a lot older mind it was IBD and kidney issues causing it and she was on regular steroid injections and a change of diet. If it's nothing he's picked up parasite wise I would get his kidneys checked as well.

I'm truly hoping it's nothing serious and can be cleared up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Get some high calorie vitamin paste if he's not keeping anything down as at least that will keep something going in.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is amazing how common IBS is in cats! I mentioned it to the vet when we were there a couple of weeks ago and she was surprised I even knew about it in cats. Thankfully, she did not think Raiden had it. Hope Hendrix gets to feeling stronger. I can only imagine how much his little rear ends hurts! We get that same way -- so we can kind of relate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Max was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago. Has been on methylprednisolone since November 2014... Finally on double antibiotics for pneumonia and a collapsed lung while tapering off the steroids and his bowels are finally under control. I'm wondering if it ever was IBS or a chronic infection. Hope Mr Hendrix gets going on the upswing.