It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sick 14 week old
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:11 am 
Bengal Cat

I just got back from the emergency vets and had to leave my little Simon there for the night for testing. He had a FVRCP booster shot on Monday (he was perfectly healthy up to this point) and Wednesday seemed to be sick with a URI. I took him to the vet and she said to up his l-lysine and be sure he's eating and drinking. We did this, and he ate okay when prompted, but he started to occasionally throw up (about 4 times between Wednesday and Thursday evening). He didn't throw up at all today (Friday), but was somewhat lethargic today and seemed really nauseous and wanted to throw up after supper. Both cats were pretty quiet today as it was very hot out, so I didn't worry about it much, but he was clearly not feeling well this evening so we took him back to the vets as he didn't seem to be sick with usual URI symptoms.

At the vets he showed a slight fever, some weight loss since Wednesday, and an x-ray showed that his liver and spleen are enlarged. His intestines are very gassy, too. He's going to be in tonight to have a barium test to check for any blockages (I don't think this is a problem as he had a normal bowel movement this afternoon).

I'm at a total loss as to what happened with him this week. He was perfectly healthy up until Wednesday. He hates going in the car and to the vets, and it felt awful to leave him there, but there's clearly more going on than a URI. We've only had him two weeks and I'm very worried about him.

Any insight as to what could be wrong?

Thanks. ~Liz

Post subject: Re: Sick 14 week old
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry, Liz. There could be a number of things going on -- thankfully, Simon is under the care of a vet who can diagnose the situation. Please know there are diseases that go around a cattery that may seem clean and spotless. Sometimes kittens get something from their mom. Have you contacted the breeder and are any of the other kittens in the litter showing similar symptoms? Know that upper respiratory infections are common -- very contagious in going around a cattery and may not show up until the little ones goes to a new home (been there, done that). The vaccine could be an issue as well. Some cats suffer from the after effects! And, of course, stress from just going to the vet!

The key is Simon get better and back to normal health! I know how much you hated leaving him there, but he needs to be monitored and improve health-wise. It is natural to worry about him and hopefully, he will be as good as new soon. Keep us posted, please.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:39 pm 
Bengal Cat

Simon is doing so much better now and is home again. He had two more scans overnight and the inflammation and swelling resolved themselves after some meds (one is called Cerena, I think, and also an antihistamine). He's easing okay now and not nauseous. The vet suspects that he might have had a huge reaction to his FVRCP booster that he had on Monday. As of right now, he's running around with his kitty sister and seems thrilled to be home again. I've let the breeder know what happened and will talk to our regular vet on Monday. I'm not sure how I will handle future boosters for him. We were really worried about him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:10 am 
Bengal Cat

Simon is doing better now, but he's sure had a rough week. He started to feel better after his stint in emergency on Friday/Saturday, and was just getting his appetite back when he started to show clear signs of a URI, most likely brought on from all of the stress (sickness, and car rides to the vet). His appetite dropped dramatically again, but he didn't get lethargic. We were in touch with the vet again, but didn't want to take him in unless absolutely necessary (he gets really, really upset in the car). He's eating well now, and we are in touch with the vets by phone a couple of times a day.

It's been a difficult start; we've only had him for just over two weeks now. Hopefully we can get through a full week without any more visits to the vets!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry that you're having to go through so much just after getting Simon. These things can happen, but once you get over the hump, your life should improve and Simon should become stress free as well. There is a lot to read up on as to whether to give pets vaccines. Pros and cons! You have to decide. Many municipalities require certain vaccines, but I when we had an older cat in kidney failure and with diabetes, the vet said we should not give the vaccines. She was an indoor cat and there was simply no need to stress her system.

Thanks for the updates.