[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Water Please!! How Much Do I Need Each Day?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:06 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is a question for a vet. I hydrated my last cat who had kidney disease for 4 years. She drank water constantly too, but the sub-Q fluids provide more fluid than they are able to drink and is absorbed through the tissue. I would not try to force water by mouth. Your vet will be able to teach you how to administer Sub-Q fluids at home. They add vitamins to the saline and send you home with needles. It helps if you have someone else who can hold the cat during the process but it is possible to do it on your own. Or you can take the cat to the vet a couple of times a week and they can do it for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I've had the most success with hydration by pouring water over canned food with the canned food on tiny paper plates. The temperature and type of water also matters. My late tabby demanded Brita filtered cold water (not tap, not bottled water). My snow Bengal loves tap water from the cold spout on his canned food. His brother is more problematic but sometimes drinks from the 24oz plastic cup I place in my bathtub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry to hear your cat has been diagnosed with a horrible disease. I rarely see my bengal drink! At one point, he was heavy into the water and drinking out of MY glass as well. He gets mostly wet food and that may hydrate him enough. I am sure you can syringe water into your kitty's mouth! How much you will actually get in there is another thing, thus sub-q fluids are often recommended. Note, I would not use a much larger syringe. You don't want to get too much water caught in your kitty's throat. I had a cat develop kidney failure and I gave her the fluids myself. You can buy the supplies online -- OR your veterinarian can administer them every few days (costly). The only time mine gets dehydrated is when he's sick and not eating. You can add water to dry food and even more water to wet food if you think that will help. I'm sure your baby is going through a rough time right now. The only thing with subq fluids is the needle is GIGANTIC. My kitty took it fine and I was able to give them to her myself. It's super scary the first few times -- but then it becomes second nature. Have your vet show you how to determine whether your boy is dehydrated and give extra water accordingly.

I'm guessing this is the same John who came on here with the other question as to whether it was IBD or lymphoma! Did you ever find out for certain? I mean, you mentioned Gordy is having chemo. You want to make sure you are treating the proper disease but you were not going to have a biopsy done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A friend of mine was giving her cat water via a syringe into his mouth several times a day, he had cancer and wasn't eating very much so he got dehydrated, she checked how his hydration was by lifting the scruff of his neck to see how quickly the skin went back down, if he needed it she would syringe some water into his mouth then check again later by his skin.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I am very sorry to hear about your cat... Maybe try to get a water fountain? Bengals do drink much more from the fountains as it's more interesting for them. Also make sure the water is far away from your bengals food. My Kiki's water is in the different room from her food. In the beginning she had her water and food in the same room and she barely ever drank any. Now she is drinking plenty. They are very sensitive to smell, and for some reason if their water is close to food, they think that their water is contaminated and they stop drinking it.

Hope that helps!