It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is true that the TF virus will die. It thrives on wet matter! A thorough cleaning should do the trick! At least your babies will be healthy once they return home. I know you miss them terribly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:24 pm 
Bengal Cat

Another update... very positive this time...

They've been home for 5 days now... and their last dose of the ronidazol was 6 days ago. They remain on the GI food (wet and dry) and also the pro textin pro biotics... but for the first time EVER since we've had them we're getting nice hard, dry solid poos! It's amazing to be able to walk into the room where the litter trays are and smell nothing!

Langford have told us to keep them on the special diet for at least another week and until they have been re tested for TF...

Also... further good news is that their blood tests came back all normal and the extra tests for vitamin B absorption also proved normal... they don't think that they have any permanent digestive defects....

So... looking good so far... I just hope this parasite is finally dead and buried!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's the best news ever.

What a nightmare you have been through. I know what it's like as I went through it myself but unfortunately not such a happy ending.

I am so relieved for you to be clear of this awful parasite.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's fantastic news!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

Well... it's now been close to three weeks since their medication came to an end... and their poo is still solid, low odour (compared to the previous disgusting mess) ... and max 2 poos per day per cat (compared to multiple poos every day)

They are still on a diet of exclusive Royal Canine GI food (wet mixed with dry) and I'm reluctant to give them anything else until I've had a successful test for TF that's come back negative. Even then I'll integrate it extremely gently... one kibble at a time...

I'll get a poo sample that's straight from Anus to sample pot if I can.... to make it as accurate as possible..

But so far still looking good...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That good news, seems like it's finally cleared up :thumbup:

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Skymaster, that's great news. I can understand your trepidation at introducing new foods.

I hope one day soon this will be a long and distant memory and you can get on with enjoying your feline friends.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wonderful news, but what an ordeal!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:02 pm 
Bengal Cat

Further update....

It's been over 5 weeks since they got back... I'd been very gradually introducing other foods back into their diet (starting one kibble at a time) and poos remained solid and virtually free of smell .... I then began adding other wet food.. (teaspoon at a time) ... and things remained perfect...

Until yesterday ! When to my horror Rufus (the F3) did a stenching liquid poo.... I've immediately switched them straight back onto the GI food that Langford had them on with no additional food items.... and I'm seriously hoping it's a temporary glitch... he's done another chocolate sauce stinking poo today..... Naga (the little bengal) remains perfect with lovely dry solid poos....

I'll be utterly furious if after all this time the blasted parasite has been lurking in Rufu's digestive system waiting to gain enough in numbers to come back with a vengeance .... It seems impossible that it could survive the treatment they received at the vet hospital... If the TF has survived then it means it's totally resistant to Ronadizol .... as the dose they had in hospital and the way it was administered was as good as it gets.... worrying for the condition as a whole...

I'll keep you posted :-(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a nightmare for you. Hopefully this is just a glitch and he will recover. Maybe it's best just to keep him on that one food if you can. He may just have gut issues with having the TF parasite. Maybe it did some damage and he is now sensitive.

Keep us posted and thinking of you.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Changing their diet can cause this -- even the slightest change. Hopefully, that's all it was and no more awful parasites.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thankfully after 2 days back on the special diet poo's are solid again... I have managed to get some really good samples from each cat too... (straight from anus to sterile sample pot) and they were sent off for TF testing the very same day.... so hopefully it's a good sample for a definitive test...

I think other foods will have to be added to their diet very gently, slowly and selectively...

It's likely their poor tummies could take weeks to fully recover from the months and months of living with TF and having runny poo...

Fingers crossed ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Relieved for you their poos are back to normal again.

Let us know how the samples go.

Does sound more like sensitive tummies though particularly as they have already been through the TF treatment.

Fingers crossed!

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:46 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sadly - The poo tests have come back showing that Naga, the little Bengal is clear... but Rufus, the huge F3 still has TF... :cry:

So the solid poo's must be a result of this food.. rather than a lack of TF....

Utterly gutting given we have tried the most direct and efficient way of getting rid of it.... I can't think of another approach that is better....

This must be a strain of TF that is very very resistant to Ronidazol ....

The cats will be a year old soon.... so maybe their journey into adulthood is also helping the symptoms... Rufus however has always had that extra little bit of bloating.... especially noticeable as he's such a lean muscular animal...

Extremely frustrating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry the TF has returned. It is the WORST of the parasites to treat an get rid of! Hopefully, your other kitty will not contract it -- so you've got to keep them separated for the most part -- separate litter boxes, zoo. I know this has been a real ordeal for you -- I don't honestly know where you can go from here besides giving the medication again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next