[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sprained ACL
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sprained ACL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh I'm glad he's not suffering too much with pain.

It's awful when they are in pain and you can't help them.

Sounds like he is on the mend and hope you manage to sort out a way to stop him nibbling his incision.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh his poor leg looks like a chicken drumstick!

It must be itching like crazy now, I bought some cream from a pet shop that is supposed to reduce itching and tasted vile by all accounts, but its hard to know if you should put anything on a wound like that. Looks like its healing nicely though.

Hopefully you will find something he can't remove and stops him tugging at it.

Glad to hear he is feeling better though and giving you grief to be let out!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Donna. Poor Diesel! Such a gorgeous kitty -- but the leg definitely looks like a drumstick! It is going to be an agonizing six weeks for you both. Thank goodness for the 2-week antibiotic shot. Raiden got one after that last vicious cat fight and it saved me from having to give him the medication. Hopefully, every day things will improve for you both.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

:shok: now he's biting his incision, pinching it with his teeth, I caught him doing it this morning. No wonder why it looked SO much more bruised this morning :rolleyes:

I tried tying a little rolled up washcloth wrapped in a bandana around his neck but he could still reach it if he tried really hard. So I tied it around him just behind his front legs, he doesn't like it at all, and when he tries to bend to get to his leg it's uncomfortable so I'm hoping that will keep him from messing with it while I'm at work today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Could you wrap the leg in gauze or something like that? I'm sure fresh air is the best thing to heal the incision, but Diesel biting at it will only aggravate it and it's only been a few days -- the would needs to heal. We can't train these little munchkins -- it's just what they do, especially when cats are used to grooming every part of their body! Perhaps you can create a sock that can go over the leg just to keep Diesel from chewing on the incision. Oh Donna .... this is just the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I talked to the vet and he said gauze won't last long. He said he stopped wrapping cats legs post-op because they freak out and rip off the bandages.

I'm going to return the donut collar that didn't work and possibly get a Thunder Shirt for him. I think the TS will keep him from bending as far so he won't be able to reach his leg.

I'll aslo try to find a sock that's loose enough to not put pressure on his knee but still cover it, I figure I can sew some something on the top edge that I can tie around his waist so he can't pull it down and off over his foot as easily. (he probably still will!)

I sent the doc a picture of the incision from this morning, he wasn't at all surprised that he's messing with it but he said it looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got my old cat Harry a soft cone which he still hated but was not as bad as the plastic ones. He punctured the donut one in minutes so I took the inflatable bit out and filled it with cushion stuffing! The soft cones seem to not be as hated by the cats. Poor Diesel !

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope things get better by the day for you and Diesel! There will come a time when the incision will itch like crazy as i heals. That's the absolute worst on humans -- I can only imagine how a cat will react! I think a sock would work great if you can find a way to make it stay on his leg. We all know cats don't like anything foreign on them. That's just the way they are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you all so much for all the kind thoughts and the support.

He was very vocal last night when we got home so we let him out of the crate for a little while. He was SO happy to be free :lol: and of course he had a fit when I put him back in but when we turned the lights out to go to bed he settled down.

He limped around the house rubbing on every doorway and the corner of every wall, it was pretty funny. We didn't want him to run around too much though because it's still so early in the healing process and we didn't let him jump on anything. He's lost SO much muscle tone in that leg from not using it :sad:

He didn't mess with the incision as much yesterday so the bruising is starting to go away but I know the worst is still to come with the itching. The vet said I can put the ointment with pain reliever on the incision every day as long as I don't cover it up with a bandage, hopefully that helps keep it a little bit soft so it doesn't itch as badly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ya can't keep a Bengal down for long! I can't stop him from doing anything. He jumped on the coffee table then to the couch and up onto the back and onto the ledge between the kitchen and the family room.

Our favorite vet tech (and former neighbor) came by last night to say hi and check on Diesel. We had just let him out of the crate so he was running around like a nut. She said he looks great and that most cats aren't using their leg until 10+ days post-op but he's been toe touching since day 2. She said keep doing what we're doing, let him exercise when we're home but back in the crate when we're gone so he doesn't get too carried away.

We also talked about his "behavior" post-op (mostly because my husband didn't believe me when I told him how bad it was) she said she's seen feral cats that were not as wild as he was :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure using the leg is helping with physical therapy and will strengthen the leg. Cats just do not understand, but hopefully, the pain is now gone and he can just heal. I'm sure jumping isn't the best thing for him, which is why the vet wanted him crated for a week. I am just hoping something like that does not happen to Raiden. I could not take the stress.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's an adventure for sure. He raised the roof last night when I put him back in the crate. My husband kept saying "just let him out" but I held tough and he eventually settled down. This morning he didn't try to get out at all when I went to feed him so I think he's learning the routine :lol:

Thank you all again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diesel looks so much better. That's great!

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next