[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Sprained ACL
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sprained ACL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We've been at a stand still - he's not getting worse but he's not getting any better either. He still carries it when he runs, and if I support him on that right side when I'm holding him he cries. I have to make sure I pick him up with his right side against me so I'm holding his left leg to support him.

I'm going to take him back to the vet in the morning. We're at about 2 1/2 months now so it really should be further along than it is.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So we made another trip to the vet Saturday morning. Diesel is now scheduled for ACL repair surgery this Friday :eek: She said it would heal on it's own, eventually, but based on how slow it's going it could take up to a year to scar up properly. With how much it still hurts him there is no way I can let it go on like this.

The plan is to sedate him Friday morning, confirm that it's his ACL and perform the repair. He'll get a "cone of shame" while he's still under anesthesia (because I have zero chance of getting it on him once he's awake!) and he'll have his whole leg wrapped for about 7 days. He'll have to stay in our giant dog crate for at least those 7 days possibly a little longer depending on how it's healing. :sad:

On the plus side the vet said that cats have an almost zero reoccurrence once they've had the surgery. The material they use is the same as what they use in dogs and since cats are so much smaller it is very unlikely to fail.

My poor boy has been through so much in his short 2 years, I really hope this is the last thing he has to endure for a very very long time.

Last edited by Donna741 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor Diesel. I really hope the op goes well Friday - I'll be sending positive thoughts his way. And to you for the following 7 days - I imagine that will be painful for everyone with him cooped up and no doubt complaining about it once he's over he operation! x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Clare. I just don't want him to hurt any more. It's heart breaking to hear him cry when he moves wrong. Last night he was laying with me and when he went to roll over he let out a cry and then hissed, yowled and ran away carrying his leg up off the ground. :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Totally understand how you feel. It broke my heart every time I saw Hendrix hobbling, barely able to walk and certainly not wanting to when his knee cap(s) slipped out of position. Fortunately we haven't had a recurrence for about 6 months now (touching wood wherever I can see it...), apparently it may have been linked to his growth plates closing much later than they should have.

Of course they also give you that look thinking you can sort it out for them... you are sorting it out for him and he will be a very happy Bengal when it's all over and can charge around going bonkers again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh the poor boy, you weren't kidding when you said he'd had a rough time recently. I really hope everything goes well on Friday and he's back to 'crazy' as soon as possible.

Keep us updated with his progress, and sending you both hugs ((())) x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 pm 
Senior Bengal

Let us know how it goes! I'll be thinking of you both.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Donna, I had no idea that Diesel had surgery to amputate a toe. I can only imagine how painful something like that is to a kitty. Probably as much pain as the declawing! And now he's having surgery for the ACL? Poor baby! Kitties just don't understand what's going on. Hoping all goes well on Friday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, it's been an eventful day for us. Originally he was supposed to stay over night after surgery, but he was so stressed out this morning the doc decided I should pick him up tonight.

Surgery went well, turned out he had a torn meniscus in addition to the torn ACL so it's good we did the surgery. The meniscus would not have healed on its own. They put a cone on him while he was sedated but he got it off within 30 minutes of waking up and they couldn't get it back on him.

Post op the wild cat sure came out in him. The doc said "they'll get your check out papers then YOU can go get him out of the cage". I went in the cat room and they had a big CAUTION sign on his cage. He was growling and trying to bite anything that came near him. I had to catch him in a towel to get him into his crate to go home. Poor guy was scared and hurting - even after heavy pain meds.

Got him home and into the giant dog crate. He's finally just now settled down after 20 minutes of growling and screaming. I had to cover the crate with blankets to make it dark so he would calm down.

We have about 6 weeks until he's 100% but the doc thinks it went great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh poor Diesel! I'm sure now he's home he'll be a bit happier, although the pain will take a while to clear. Hopefully he'll be quiet for a couple of days so the healing process can begin.

I really hope he starts to feel better soon, and is a good boy in his crate so he heals quickly.

Sending you all hugs (((())))

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you Clare.

Today has been a better day. He's still uncomfortable but he's not constantly growling and crying. He's resting well in the crate (so I know he doesn't feel well lol). He's eaten some turkey and a little canned food. He's gotten up for water and to move around a little but he's not using his leg yet.

He's started laying in the litter box - despite having tons of room and soft blankets to lay on - so I put a towel in half of the box for him to lay on. I'm off to give him his last dose of pain meds. Hopefully we won't need to get more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my goodness, he is so beautiful. So sorry he had surgery agin. Hopefully he will be up and around soon. How long before the stitches come out, or do they dissolve? That is going to be a challenge to keep him away from the leg area.

I had a cat that had a small cyst removed from his shoulder area and had stitches. I couldn't look at him without sobbing! This has got to be tough on you too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you! He's my spoiled boy.

They're supposed to dissolve. The ones in his toe only lasted about 5 days before he started pulling them out but it was pretty well healed so he was ok. This one he's actually biting the skin so I'm trying to figure out how to stop that. I'm thinking of putting something bad tasting on the skin around the incision. I also saw Thunder Shirts for cats, I may return the donut collar and try that.

He doesn't seem to be in nearly as much pain as he was with the toe amputation so even though the first day was horrible it's gotten much better. He's really antsy tonight, asking to be let out, I think I may have to let him out of the cage tomorrow night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next