It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bee sting in ear?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:10 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm
Posts: 1165
Has anyone experienced their cat being stung in the ear? I'm only guessing this is what's happened. He was holding his ears flat, shaking his head? He was sick and had diarrhea and was panting really badly. He's had something to drink now and his breathing is better, he's washing himself and is curled up on his bed. I'm checking him every 10 mins and he seems much better if subdued but wondered if this is symptomatic of a bee sting? I can't see a sting left behind in his ear, but it looks sore and red inside.

I'll be straight to the vet with him in the morning if he's not completely better, our worry was he's been poisoned but I'm hoping that as he seems to be better in himself already it is a bee sting.

Any thoughts?

_________________
Clare
Hendrix and Jagger, Brown Marble Boys (born 18 August 2013)
Hampshire, UK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bee sting in ear?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:38 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm
Posts: 1165
Update:

He seems back to himself today, thank goodness. His ear looks a bit pink still but it was very angry and red yesterday. His appetite is back and he wants to play.

I imagine being stung in the ear is pretty painful and he was traumatised by the whole thing, but at least he didn't have a severe allergic reaction, although it was probably the venom that made him sick.

Lovely to see my green eyed Jagger back to his usual boisterous self!

_________________
Clare
Hendrix and Jagger, Brown Marble Boys (born 18 August 2013)
Hampshire, UK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bee sting in ear?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:26 pm
Posts: 720
Oh no poor Jagger, symptoms definitely sound like a sting from probably a wasp if there is not visible sting in his ear. I remember our dog when I was young doing exactly the same thing. Shaking head and flat ears etc. As you said he is much better now but it is scary when they are panting and in obvious distress. allergic reaction is such a dangerous thing, especially when they are stung in the head area which is near airways etc. Hopefully he will have learned to stay away from them!

_________________
Melissa

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bee sting in ear?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:09 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm
Posts: 1165
Hi Melissa

Hendrix has had numerous stings on his paw and never learns unfortunately! He was after one only this morning! But hopefully Jagger will be more sensible as I think this was pretty painful! He'd never been stung before so I didn't know if he was going to have an allergic reaction which was my main worry, and I can't put his head in a bucket of cold water like I do with Hendrix's paw when he's been stung! I couldn't see a sting but he didn't want you too near him to look properly. i looked again this morning though and I think you are right, it must have been a wasp as I still couldn't see anything.

I was panicking though when he was panting so badly as the ear, nose and throat are all connected, so we spent all evening checking on him, by bedtime he was purring on top of the wardrobe and asking for tummy rubs! He also came and jumped on us at 1am and was very hungry by 5am and letting me know about it!

It was lovely to have him being his usual loud self though! X

_________________
Clare
Hendrix and Jagger, Brown Marble Boys (born 18 August 2013)
Hampshire, UK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bee sting in ear?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:44 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8005
Bee and wasp stings are very painful. They inject poison into your system and people and pets can be allergic to the sting. If Jagger was stung, those symptoms you described are very possible. The good thing is that he's back to normal, so the poison from the sting should be out of his system. I know Raiden likes to chase bees and wasps that are flying around outside, too. And we have plenty of both during the spring and summer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey