[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Zazu and unknown health issues
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone,

I've had my bengal for 5 weeks now and he's been dealing with some health issues. I brought him to the vet the second week I got him, and he has gotten better since then, but he has never in perfect health. I am using my old cat as comparison, which might not be the best as they are not the same breed. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but I want to give as much info as I can so that you might be able to figure out what the problem is! I've been reading up, but it's hard to tell what it could be.

So first thing's first, I never saw how he was living at his breeder's. I have seen some pictures and talked to the breeder, and she seemed like a pretty trustworthy person who cares for her cats. When I received Zazu, he looked healthy enough; all he had was a little crust in his eyes.

It's important to note that Zazu has always been playful, full of energy, and has always eaten with appetite.

Here are the symptoms before I went to the vet:

-a little discharge from the eyes and nose
-repetitive sneezing
-loss of "voice"
-diarrhea
-seveeeeere gas (you could see the bumps moving around in his stomach)

Since then, he was put on 10 days antibiotics, was dewormed again (3rd half-pill due on the 19th), and had 7 days probiotics. We changed his canned food back to Fromm, and kept going with the Fromm kibbles. He has the feline rhinotrachetitis-calici-panleukopenia vaccine (all three doses), was dewormed before I got him, and was said to be healthy at the breeder's home.

After the antibiotics, these are the remaining symptoms:
-a little more eye and nose discharge than my mom's cat, but much less than before
-we can hear him breathing when he settles down (probably some nose discharge causing it)
-some sneezing

Basically, he got better, but still had some symptoms. The breeder and vet told me to try Lysine. I tried it 4 days, not much changed and he started getting diarrhea again. He didn't like the Lysine, and not much happened, so I decided to stop in case, weirdly, this was the cause of the diarrhea.

Now:
-his diarrhea is a little bit better, it at least starts out harder and ends.. well.. you know.
-he sneezes about 5 times a day (not too bad)
-the eye discharge is still there, but it could be normal for him...
-he gets a squinty in his right eye when he's sleepy
-his nose seems a little obstructed inside, and when he is laying down and purring, it sounds like there's liquid in there somewhere. He was trying to push it out earlier today.

There it is. Hope you guys can either tell me what to do, or tell me if it is normal! I'm a worried mommy.

Thank you for reading through :)

Caroline and Zazu

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 am 
Bengal Cat

I would ask your vet if he thinks it could be Feline Chlamydia. It must be treated with different medicine that other upper respiratory diseases in cats. Our vet uses terramycin ointment in the eyes and doxycycline pills.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Regarding the diarrhoea has he had stool samples done for parasitic infections? Does he have blood in his poo?

It might be worth getting this test done to rule out such things as Giardia and TF.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie