It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My cat Aria has been struggling with Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD), for the past couple months. Originally discovered because he completely stopped using the litter box to urinate. When I took him to the vet she said that he had some blood in his urine and some crystals, but no active infection. He was prescribed antibiotics, an anti-inflammitory, and a pain reliever.

When the problem persisted in spite of the prescribed treatments, I took him back. Still no active bacterial infection, but more crystals were detected. She switched him to hills prescription C/D diet and I've been monitoring him since. He didn't originally like the food change, but I finally got him to start eating it.

He's still peeing on the floor almost nightly, though he doesn't seem to be in as much pain, which is great. Do you guys think this pee'ing outside the litter box issue has now become behavioral? It's really starting to become a problem, because I am temporarily living at home again while I'm back in university and my parents are becoming increasingly more aggravated with him "ruining their floors." Their sympathy in waining. He's been confined to my small bedroom until he stops peeing on everything, which isn't fair because he loves to run.

I'm even starting to get frustrated with the issue as well and just want it to run its course (he pee'd on an extremely expensive electronic musical instrument the other day; which I'm really upset about).

I've been checking and cleaning his litter box 2-3x a day, and completely cleaning it out and replacing with fresh litter twice as much as I usually would, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Floors and objects are more enticing, for him.

Any advice or help you guys could give would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:23 pm 
Senior Bengal

I would try to put more litter boxes with different sand in it (like natural, crystals etc...) and i wouldn't keep him jailed in one room.... It's really possible that his problem evolved from a healthy one to a territorial/behaviour.....
Maybe Your cat associated the litter box with pain (due to his illness), He might just need to trust to the litter box again....