[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Dexter has diarrhoea
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dexter has diarrhoea
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there didn't want to hijac the other thread so thought I'd start a new one.

As I said in other post Dexter developed diarrhoea on Sunday. It is very loose, foul smelling and has blood in it.

I made an appointment with Vet and luckily enough Dexter had a poop immediately before visit so I was able to take a fresh sample along with me.

There were two choices of testing (don't understand the ins and outs of it) but we chose the more expensive option as they will test for TF.

I am really worried it's even something more sinister such as FIP.

Apart from the foul smelling, bloody diarrhoea you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with him. He was weighed at Vets and is 9 pounds at 6half months.

I have heard that there is only one treatment for TF (if this is what it is) but that it's not available in the UK. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Many thanks.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

Post subject: Re: Dexter has diarrhoea
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Brian and I'm glad your cats made such a good recovery. Must have been so worrying for you at the time.

You can't help but 'google' and start to get paranoid. I guess part of me wanted to prepare myself for the worst too just in case.

I would love it to be something simple like diet related but don't think it is.

The Vet prescribed a probiotic (getting most of that on myself rather than into Dexter's mouth at the moment) and a prescribed diet. He's on Hill's Prescription i/d Gastric Health. It's quite pricey at the vet but I've found it on Zooplus link below cheaper:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cann ... hes/276472

Is this the same? It looks exactly the same to me just that I thought with it saying 'Prescription' on it I would only be able to get it from a Vet?

Many thanks.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Debbie

I would say that looking at the 'Important Notice' and the caveats re the vet that it is the same but would check all the ingredients/composition as well to be sure. Maybe just order a small supply to be on the safe side so you can compare on receipt?

I hope Dexter is starting to feel a little better if he has started on this diet now and like Brian said, keep focussed on the positives.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Clare that's a good idea checking the ingredients. Zooplus is usually pretty good about giving that sort of information on the products it sells so I'll have look.

Dexter is still the same unfortunately but very happy in himself. Such a sweet little guy.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it is TF the treatment is available in the UK, several members here have treated their cats. However, the treatment is not approved for use in felines. I don't think it's approved for cats anywhere. I am located in the US and it's available here but not approved for cats. When I had to treat them I had to sign a waiver at the vet stating I was aware of the side effects and giving this medicine can cause neurological damage. It was scary but it worked miracles for my boy. He went from walking and pooing at the time to having normal bowel movements within two weeks. I had went through bloody diarrhea and the horrendous smell for so long I actually cried when his poo was normal.
I hope everything goes well and you have answers soon. I know how it is to go through the not knowing and just hoping they find something. It's a hard thing to go through but I'm sure your PCR will she'd some light on the situation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is only one treatment for TF and that is Ronidazole. It is available in the UK and is made specifically for each individual cat as it is essential that it's done on current weight. I believe the guideline is 20-30mg per kg per day in a daily dose and for 14 days.... It must be given whole as a capsule and not broken or sprinkled on food as it tastes nasty and needs to be absorbed in the stomach as saliva can kill the essential components.

I advise you give it at the same time each day, preferably not late afternoon or evening. Watch carefully for side effects which a neurological. So play at the same time each day with the same toy so you can assess coordination etc...

Since the dose has be refined so much, side effects are rare. They are normally fully reversible on stopping medication.

Ronidazole is not licensed for cats anywhere but it is effective against tf.

The theory is that cats overcome it in a few years. But it is more common for it to be dormant only to resurface every now and again in times of stress and illness. I believe my Bengal had it when he came to me. Both my cats were poorly but it eventually cleared up and I thought nothing of it. 2 years later I brought home two new kittens. After around 2 months they were all poorly. Eventually diagnosed with TF. The home where the kittens came from was tested for TF and was negative. I am friends with the breeder so I know this to be true. So I must have already had TF in my house....

I would always treat, my one cat now has irritable bowel from damage caused by TF going untreated in her for so long!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lollo thanks. I'll write that name down for when the Vet rings me with results.

If it is TF I will probably have to get my elderly cat treated too do you think? Problem is he isn't insured as we stopped it a few years ago because he has not had ones day's illness in his life (he's nearly 15 now) and the insurance company put the fees up sky high once he got to a certain age. I would of course get him treated if I had to although he shows no signs of being unwell.

I'm really scared about the treatment and can't even imagine how we are going to get a capsule down Dexter every morning. I was hoping it would be in tablet form and we could just wrap it in some ham as he's a greedy little thing and would have just gobbled it up.

Thanks for the tips I will definitely do that. I'm 99% sure it's TF going by all the symptoms.

As it's not licensed anywhere how are Vets able to prescribe it?

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Many drugs are not licensed for the purpose they are given. Trouble is, it's not financially viable for drug companies to test them, or ethnically!

I had to sign a form when my vet prescribed it.

I'm a paediatric nurse and so many drugs are not licensed for use with kids but are still used. It just means you cannot complain to drug companies if something goes wrong.

Do your cats share litter trays? Or wash each other?

When was the last time Dexter was wormed?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes the cats groom each other and there are 3 litter trays.

I've noticed that Dexter prefers to use one particular tray over all the others and I haven't seen Muskey in that one but can't be 100% sure. They are washed out and cleaned every morning.

When Dexter poops I wash and change the whole litter tray immediately which has been quiet a few times in one day recently.

Dexter was wormed by the breeder and we took him for a health check when we got him at 13 weeks and he was wormed again there (tapeworm I think) plus we were given Stronghold treatment to use for the next 4 months which I think was for fleas and roundworm. Not sure why as she said she couldn't find any fleas on him.

When we took him to the vet about his diarrhoea she wormed him again (tapeworm I think). He has one more treatment of Stronghold that he should have had last week but I haven't given it to him because the Vet wormed him and although I think the Stronghold is for roundworm I wasn't sure if there should be a gap between the two.

I doubt he has worms particularly after all the treatment he has had.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the drug.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like worms are covered...

Did you collect sample for testing prioro the worming medication being given? I ask because TF can be dulled by worming although not killed so it's posible yo get false negatives from resting too soon after medication.

Regarding your older cat, I think I would treat if it turns out to be TF. Sometimes vets won't if they aren't ill but it is possible for them to carry it and dyed it but not have issues. It's also possible to reinfect Dexter halfway through treatment if the other cat isn't treated.

I would think, given the situation, it is unlikely TF if there have been no other issues before.

Fingers crossed for you. I have dealt with it myself and I beeed, though not bengals, so i know how important fecal health is. PM me if you have any questions....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Debbie

How is Dexter and have you had the results back for him yet? I hope he's improved and that you hear something soon, it must be really frustrating if you still don't have any results.

Thinking of you both.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie