[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Monty has TF
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Monty has TF
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My lovely new kitten Monty, who I have only had for a month, has tested positive for TF, Coronavirus and clostridium perfringens. I can't believe it, poor boy. I have read up on TF which is horrific enough without the Coronavirus which has frightened me to death as it can develope into FIP! I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to discuss starting him on ronidazole. the vet says it could take up to 9 months to rid him of the TF virus- has anyone else found it took that long? What are the implications of him testing positive for the Coronavirus? I am so worried about him, any advice or positive posts would be great fully received.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Monty has TF
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He looks like a mischievous little monkey :) I don't know much about coronavirus but I have experience with tf. Both of mine were treated in February and we completely fine after the first treatment. We finished the RDZ and haven't looked back since.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor kitty. I'll let others comment on the Coronovirus (didn't you have that conversation with your vet though?), but as far as the TF, I dunno, to me that would have been a big relief to get such a diagnosis. Because with whatever symptoms led you to getting that test done, if he would have tested negative, then the road to recovery would have been clouded, and much scarier possibilities would have been in play. You now have a very straightforward and well-tested prognosis for the TF part at least, even if it is a hassle for a month or two.

Anyway good luck, let us know how all that goes. There are lots and lots of posts about TF here, so a nearly unlimited amount of experiences to learn from.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sorry your kitten is poorly.

Please key the breeder know so they can deal with it in their cattery... Selling a kitten with these is not necessarily because they are poor breeders. Often signs only present when the kitten us ill. However, some breeders are irresponsible.

The TF does not always take so long to cure once diagnosed and treated. My cats cleared up once the Ronidazole had finished.. Make sure the Ronidazole us an adequate dies and based on the current weight at the time of administration. Current guidelines state 20-30mg per kg per day in one dose. For two weeks. Give at same time each day, preferably a morning so you can assess the side effects throughout the day. Play with them in the evening with the same toy for a short time. Like da bird or frenzy so they have to jump. Observe for signs of un coordination. If worried, consult vet..

The corona virus is not necessarily a concern. The vast majority of cats have been exposed to it at some point. Only a small tiny minority have issues with FIP... Most cats who have had corona do not develop FIP. Stress can be a contributory factor so minimising external stresses like neutering would be best for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks everyone! The vet wants to give him 10mg to start with, hope that's enough to rid him of the problem! I am feeling more relaxed about the Coronavirus now I know lots of cats carry it! I have been in touch with the breeder who says she will contact the other kittens owners to let them know, she is also going to treat Monty's parents and presumably all her other kittens that were in contact with him! Just waiting now to take delivery of the pills - any tips for getting them into him?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

10mg is too small a dose! unless he means 10mg perkg????

It should be 20-30mg per kg per day. Possibly 15mg per kg in a kitten.....

Absolutely pointless not giving a therapeutic dose. It probably won't work prolonging the issue and making you have to give more ronidazole in the long run!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/cat-heal ... ction-cats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 pm 
Bengal Kitten

He said 10mg per kilo I've called him but he's adamant that's what he should be started on! Grrrr not feeling too happy about it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If he is not dosing correctly then no wonder he is saying it will take that long to get rid of :neutral:

You are paying for a service, print off what lollo has posted and any other literature you can find and demand your kitten is dosed as per the guidelines. Tell him you will go to another vet if needs be. If he doesn't agree it's correct ask your vet to provide you with the literature he is going off to decide on that dose.

Sorry to hear you are having these problems....however the other two could be something and nothing.

Corona virus as already explained can be and normally is present in most cats, it's v unusual for a cat to have a zero reading of it, and even if the reading and zero that could change. 1 in 10 can mutate to FIP I believe from memory, but what you can do is ask for a frank conversation with your breeder as to whether any cats she owns or has bred has gone on to develop FIP. It's believed there is a genetic link.

Regards to the perfringens, there are two types of this, an ok one and a not so ok one to put it simply. It's abit like ecoli, in that it can sit in the stomach and not cause any issue just a bacteria...but if you get the nasty kind that's when you have a problem. It doesn't even need to be treated by antis if it poses no risk.....I expect you would know if your kitten properly affected as cats are not well at all....infact v poorly.

From what you have said it sounds like your issue is the TF so concentrate on removing that and getting the correct dose. Good luck xx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for all your comments, I have picked up the tablets today and it's 25mg per kilo so I am happy! Despite what the vet said the company that have put the pills together have given the bigger dose -yay Monty continues to be well apart from the obvious so just gotta get through the next two weeks and pray it works and the parasite goes - I am so over the Mr Whippy poos and so is poor Monty!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

How's it going with the Ronidazole?

I know that after the second day of the 14 day course, the stinky, bloody diarrhoea stopped.

One of mine was a nightmare to pill and the other one I did with one hand lol. My arms looked like I self harmed!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Lisa we are on day 3 now, Monty is not very happy about the pills and seems to have developed jaws of steel!! However we are managing to get them in, and already we are noticing a difference!m the terrible smell has diminished although he still has stinky wind!! His poo is still on the soft side but it is firming in parts....am feeling positive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

That's great news. I'll keep fingers crossed for you.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Day 6 and down to one poo a day, still a weird colour and still like a cow pat! The smell is slightly better though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:54 pm 
Bengal Cat

I found salmon/beef/fish & chicken paste was great at getting tablets into a cat,believe me I have had 2 non bengals that I have to medicate at some point,1 because he had heart failure and the other because she had an eye problem that needed antibiotics
You might need to rotate them as they are crafty and will spit the tablet out of the ball of paste you have made,usually I gave it before food so they thought they were getting a treat
Hope this helps