[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Parasite Tests & HCM Screening
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:35 am 
Bengal Cat

Hey hey!

So I'm looking at making an appointment for Harley soon to get some tests done. He's had some problems with loose (fairly strong smelling) stools since I brought him home. I assumed it was to do with diet (and it still very well might be), I've got some pre-made raw food on it's way, but I'd really like to rule out any parasites before making the transition.

The problem is, I'm not really sure which parasites I should be asking the vet to test for, or what the different tests involve. Could you guys chime in with some of the common feline parasites found in Australia, and which tests I should request be done? I want to be thorough, I don't want any surprises down the line because we missed something.

On another note, I'm also looking at potentially screening Harley for HCM, mostly for peace of mind. I'm aware it can still crop up later in life, but if I don't get the test done at some point just to rule out current HCM, I'm going to go a little crazy with worry. I found out about HCM after bringing Harley home, and to my knowledge it's not one of the illnesses his breeder screens for, unfortunately. So if any Aussies know of a Cardiologist that could help me out in NSW (The Hunter Valley region), I'd hugely appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

x Renae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 am 
Bengal Cat

TF, or tritrichomonas foetus is becoming pretty common in felines, especially those that are purebred or from a cattery. Cyrus came to me the same way and he's being tested right now. Everyone I spoke to told me it's TF, and all of my researching pointed to TF as well. There's a sticky thread on one of the forums, I think it's the healthcare one. I'd find it but I'm using a mobile device.

I'd recommend a full panel or just tritrich PCR test, collecting several poop samples since TF is shed intermittently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd just get a standard test done (worms, giardia, coccidia etc) plus a PCR for cryptosporidium & TF. It's a more expensive test and requires 3 stool samples.

How old is your cat? There's no point in getting a HCM test until the cat is over 1 year old.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 am 
Bengal Cat

Thanks guys, I always learn something new around here, I'm really glad I found this place.

Harley's 6 months old, so if there truly is no point testing for HCM yet, I'll wait. I do want to have the test performed when he's old enough though, for peace of mind, and also so that IF he's positive we have a chance to manage it as best we can. I have no reason to believe my little guy has HCM, I've just read so many heartbreaking stories from people who had absolutely no idea anything was wrong with their furbaby, only to find them dead or paralysed. I just want to be as prepared as I can one way or the other. So eventually I would definitely like to have the test done.

I'll discuss the different parasite tests with my vet during our upcoming appointment. If it's not ridiculously expensive, I'll look into the test for TF.

Zone out if you're a bit squeamish with descriptive stool talk haha. So his bowel movements aren't 100% diarrhea, what I've noticed is that most of it is semi formed (just quite soft), with a small amount that does appear to be a more liquidy-consistency. I have noticed improvement on the days that Harley eats more fresh meat, they appear to be more formed, which was what made me wonder if something in his commercial food was irritating his belly. As mentioned in another thread, there are several questionable ingredients in the food he's on at the moment. We will be transitioning him off it in the near future, but I'd really like to do the necessary tests to see if we can find another cause first.

I guess we'll see what we find! Would you guys recommend taking stool samples over several days for all of the tests, or only testing for TF?

x Renae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 am 
Bengal Cat

Raw food can mask the symptoms of some parasitic infections like TF. I tried raw food with Cyrus and was so happy for the first few days, but the diarrhea came back about a week later. Trying raw food is a good idea before spending £150-200 for a test, in my opinion. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work for long.

I'm only testing for TF right now, so I can't be sure on collecting multiple samples for all tests. I probably would have had I been able to afford a full panel. Ah, US college..

Anyway, TF usually makes the poop have a particular smell and the poop can go through "cycles" of liquid, cowpielike consistency, to semiformed or solid. Lots of other things can to, but that's my experience paired with research that I've done, and I've been told the smell can trigger the human gag reflex quite a bit. I've had or been around plenty of sick cats and Cyrus is definitely the worst when it comes to poop and gas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:23 pm 
Bengal Cat

I suppose it is possible that the raw food has just been masking the symptoms. Sigh, I hope if Harley is infected with any parasites, that they show up on the test and we can treat them and get past this. Just to clear it up though, he hasn't got 100% diarrhea, but even when it's just soft it's still a worry. I wouldn't say the smell is gag-worthy, but there's definitely a pretty strong smell, as in I can be in the next room and still know if he's left me a litter present. I'm not really sure what's normal as far as smell goes, but I don't imagine that's it.

Ouch, the test for TF is several hundred dollars? You weren't kidding about it being on the pricey side. I'm happy to pay it if that's what it takes, but I might see how Harley goes on the new pre-made raw food I've ordered first. I'm still concerned that the high level of cereals and sugars in his current food might be causing or at least adding to the problem. If the loose stools clear up and don't return, is it likely that the problem was dietary and not a parasite? Or can raw food indefinitely mask the symptoms of a parasite?

Elaine: Harley's parents have not been screened to my knowledge, which is why I've been so worried about my little guy. At some point I'll have him tested, but he's not giving me any reason to think he's HCM positive, I'm probably just being overcautious.

Harley has an appointment coming up next Monday, I'll let you guys know how that goes and what I decide to do after talking to the vet.

x Renae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raw will mask sadly, the most important thing to do is test as mentioned.

I would go down the route fenstar suggested and that's full panel plus PCR for the tf.

Also regarding food, you may be worth putting Harley on something stable for a while esp for gastro conditions just to limit any intestinal scaring. Royal canin gastrointestinal vet diet dry is excellent for helping the gut. But you do seriously need to use a food and stick to it for at least 4 weeks to see if it suits. Obviously only so proper food trials once any parasites etc have been ruled out but you can start the vet diet when you like.

I'm not really one for fancy foods but honestly I used it on a kitten that had it's gut knocked out due to a salmonella infection and it worked miracles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 pm 
Bengal Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:26 am 
Bengal Cat

Alrighty, so the consensus is that I should test Harley now. Can anyone tell me a little more about actually collecting the sample?

Do I collect the whole thing, or just a portion of it, and if so, how much? What should I put it in, as I haven't got an actual stool collection container? I have got some small square food storage containers, will those do? And when I collect from several days worth, does each sample need it's own container, or do I just put it all together? Can I only collect the sample just after Harley's done it, or can I collect from some that he's buried when I'm scooping it?

Thanks guys, you've all been a lot of help. Hopefully we can get Harley 100% real soon, even if it does make my bank account hurt!

x Renae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can put it in a storage container, that's what I did. You also put all of the samples together and refrigerate them. The less litter you have the better you will be, if he is going in the box at predictable times you can place paper/plastic under him and get it without litter. If he will not go like that you can put a tiny amount of litter in the box that way if he covers it, it will not be
Covered completely.
If it were me, and I have my own experience with tf, I would absolutly get testing done prior to food change. It got so bad with my boy I was praying for a positive tf!!! It can be a nightmare and go on for a very long time without treatment. It is very expensive when you do full panel PCR and treatment but in the long run it could possibly save you a ton of money.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:52 am 
Bengal Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:31 am 
Bengal Cat

The lab I sent samples to wanted 5 grams. You should call your vet and confirm that though. Don't take my word for it. But it is best to have no litter in the sample as some of the components in litter can inhibit the PCR reactions and create a false negative. When I collected my samples, if they were in the litter box, I took what was right on top of the puddle because Cyrus doesn't cover anything up. I don't think you should waste your time trying to collect something that's already buried. I've been told to just replace the litter with magazine or other papers when collecting samples, so you could go that route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:59 am 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for the tip, Cormasaurus :biggrin:

I've just called and spoken to someone at the veterinary clinic. They've suggested I collect about 2cm cube sized samples, and to put the samples in individual, dated containers in the fridge. I've told her that I'd like a full panel and PCR done (even though I have NO idea what any of that means haha, but she seemed to).

She also recommended something she called a PCV, to check Harley's red and white blood cells to see if any other infections are causing the loose stools. No one here as mentioned that, is it something any of you would say is worth doing at this point?

It appears I'm going to be looking at about $300 for the tests, and goodness knows how much if they find something. My bank account may cry. It'll be worth it when Harley's all better though.

So please, everyone pray or cross your fingers (and everything else!) that if there is anything to find, that it's found in these tests so it can be treated!

x Renae