[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Prozac for stress?
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Prozac for stress?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:31 am 
Bengal Kitten

I'm writing because my 10 year-old Bengal, Bianca, gets easily stressed. She was on Clomicalm for three years, and I stopped it five months ago because her liver values were increasing. Since stopping the medication, I have tried holistic remedies to help with her stress (i.e. GSC, homeopathic remedy), but nothing has helped as much as Clomicalm.

Some background related to her stress. She gets stressed by seeing/smelling the other household cat (they are in separate areas of the house because Bianca is aggressive towards the cat), by loud noises, and from being left alone during weekly work hours. Her signs of stress include inappropriate elimination (occasional), and other signs which I believe are stress-related such as: daily sneezing, weepy eyes, weight loss, and inflammation of the bladder and intestines. She has been treated for the inflammation, and everything seems good with that. And she had allergy testing to identify foods that may be causing the irritation. She has been cleared of other health issues which may cause the above symptoms, and is being fed foods that she isn't allergic to in order to reduce inflammation and related effects.

The signs that bother me, and make me think her stress is doing harm, is the daily sneezing and constant weepy eyes. I know these signs are related to feline herpes, so I give her lysine daily in an effort to strengthen her immune system. Also, her weight is lower than it was while she was on Clomicalm. She is at a healthy 11 lbs, but her average is 13 lbs. I worry that the stress is taking a toll on her immune system, and will do more harm over time.

Her vet has recommended Prozac. I have had the medication in a drawer since February, have been contemplating giving her the medication since then, and finally gave her the first dose tonight. I don't feel good about it, and am once again questioning whether I'm making the right decision. I do feel it will help her stress, but I feel bad giving her medication because I see it as a band-aid.

Does anyone have any thoughts on giving Prozac for general stress? Do you think it is a good idea to give her Prozac so that it will reduce her stress, and in turn help her immune system? I would welcome any feedback or recommendations.

Thank you for reading this long post!

Post subject: Re: Prozac for stress?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello,

Apologies if this is a ridiculous suggestion (I'm not experienced on this issue, but wanted to reply to you as no-one else has yet) but could sneezing and weepy eyes really account for stress? Is it possible your cat has allergies? Hmm, I guess the vet would have already covered that?

Your cat doesn't sound very well. :cry:

If you have tried everything else, then what have you got to loose but to try the medication that your vet has prescribed? He/she may not be a bengal expert, but as a vet he/she's still a highly qualified practitioner who has likely seen many cases of animal stress before, and his/her experience has led them to believe this medication may help your pet.

If not, how about you try to get in touch with an animal behaviourist who will no doubt cost the earth, but could maybe help assess your situation and give you the tools/information you need to turn this situation around, maybe without the help of drugs?

I hope things improve for you and your cat xxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm 
Bengal Kitten

please see my posts on anti depressants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

It is possible that there is something airborne that is triggering her weepy eyes and sneezing, but I have definitely noticed these symptoms flare up when she is stressed. For example, after there are people in the house or loud noises outside, or when I get home from work her eyes are weepy but then after a few hours of being home with her, her eyes are perfectly fine. I like your suggestion of the animal behaviorist - this is something I was researching years ago before putting her on Clomicalm, but stopped because I didn't find anyone in my area...hopefully I can find one now. I have tried so many things to manager her stress, such as Feliway, Bach's, GSC, Calming Chews, lavender around the house, a Homeopathic remedy from the vet...and nothing worked as well as the Clomicalm.

I'm pretty sure I have to stop the Prozac, because I think she is allergic to the solution - I give her the medication in transdermal form on her ears, and her ears have been inflamed since I started the medication a few days ago. I will get the detailed ingredients tomorrow from the compounding pharmacy and talk to the vet. But I think it's back to the drawing board...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just thought it worth saying, has he been investigated for herpes? This can cause runny eyes and sneezing. Once infected they will be prone to relapses at stressful times. So it sounds like a distinct possibility to me. You can give them something calked Lysine as a daily supplement to help keep heroes at bay.

Regarding the antidepressants, my stupid (I say so because he is a bit dim, bless him) Bengal was on Clomicalm because he sprays in the house. That had no real affect on him so we tried amitriptyline, which is very difficult to get in him so is rather hit/miss. On the whole, Max is a very happy cat though and doesn't attack my other cats. He's not a fan of the Tonkinese so keeps to himself mostly but loves his humans. I'm trying to break the cycle of the spraying with feliway as I'm not a fan of medicating cats to fit around us. I have considered rehoming Max but I'm not sure he would be better elsewhere, he does have some strange, but annoying quirks, which we put up with because we love him. Not sure a new owner would have that bond. Have you considered the possibility of your Bengal going to live elsewhere as an only cat? I know it's a hard choice but I like to think I'd make the best choice for my cat and not just me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Bianca definitely has feline herpes, and I give her lysine everyday. I'm not a fan of medicating cats either, which is why I have tried a lot of other things to help her manager stress. I am back to square one now, because she is definitely allergic/sensitive to something in the transdermal solution.

I hear you about putting up with our cat's quirks out of love. I'm not sure another owner would have the patience or bond I do with Bianca, which is why she's definitely staying with me. I feel it's my responsibility to make sure she's the happiest she can be in her environment, and do things to lessen her stress as much as possible. I keep her separated from the other cat, so she's almost like an only cat. I like trying out different things, and learning as much as I can about cat behavior and Bengals in particular - they're so much fun, and challenging too. This week, I'm going to talk to her vets and try to find a cat behaviorist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I understand where you see coming from regarding being your responsibility, I feel like that over Max. It's so hard though.... I just see someone else getting angry with him and that would stress him out lots.

I think a behaviourist may be a great idea, I think well look into one. We are having an extension to our house so it's a bit stressful here.... Will be better once it's all sorted. Max does not like change much at all!

Good luck with it all, please share any advice your given.