[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Poor Widget :(
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor Widget :(
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I came home from work in Friday expecting my usual greetings from Pixel and Widget but Widget was nowhere to be seen. I found him upstairs- clearly out of sorts, all huddled up and his stomach area was really bloated. He looked like a fluffy beachball with legs. My housemate who had been off work said he had been fine all day so it had obviously come on that afternoon. His belly was rock hard and really sore for him. He also kept trying to lick himself around his 'special' parts. So much so that they had started looking sore. He couldn't run and he tried to get on to the footstool to seek out some fuss but it was obviously too painful to do so as he waddled off- barely able to walk.

I immediately called the vet and got the last appointment of the day (luckily). Then the crying started. The poor boy was in agony and peed on the floor a couple of times. Once he had done this, the swelling round his stomach area went down. I rushed out the door with him crying all the way to the vets (he hates the crate and hates travelling... so it wasn't a fun journey for either of us).

By the time we got there the swelling was completely gone. The vet checked him over thoroughly but couldn't find anything wrong with him (apart from the obvious stress and fear from being at the vets). The vet took his temperature, checked him over, felt round his bladder area etc but couldn't find anything to indicate there was a problem. He wasn't dehydrated either.

The vet concluded that he might have had a blockage which had cleared itself- aid it was more common for males to get blockages and that it was unusual for it to clear itself so it's possible it may come back. My poor boy was petrified- so much so that he cuddled up to me on the vets table and buried his head in my arms as I stroked him.

The vet then gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and some tablets to be sprinkled on to his food to help digestion. Both kitties normally have a mix of wet and dry food but I've taken away the dry food for now so they're on wet food only as the vet said wet food may be better for passing through. (No idea how true that is but I'm not risking anything).

I've got to watch him like a hawk for the next few days, make sure he gets his meds and watch out for when he uses the litter tray and how much he eats etc.

Yesterday he seemed loads better and much like his normal self. No issues eating or using the tray. Today he was even better and had a mad five minutes this morning, chasing pixel about etc. He also wanted LOADS of fuss and cuddles this morning when I woke up. Which is great.

No idea what caused the problem or if it will come back/is an ongoing thing. I was absolutely heartbroken to hear his little cries of pain though. Can't stand animals being ill as I feel so helpless! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it was a one off and he'll be fine from here on out.

Sorry for rambling- just needed to jibber somewhere with people who don't mind me waffling and obsessing about my cats!

Owned by:

Post subject: Re: Poor Widget :(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh geez, sorry to hear it. Widget was the one that was ill when you first got him wasn't he? I hope he has no re-accurances.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor Widget. Glad he is seeming better and makes a full recovery soon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor baby!

Our vet also said that males are much more likely to have a blockage. We actually lost our 11 year old Siamese rescue kitty last year to a blockage. I came home and found him already gone. He looked and acted normally even that very morning and he was urinating but apparently was not fully emptying his bladder. The vet looked over his body and said that his bladder was very full and she felt that he likely had a partial blockage (because he was urinating) that became a full blockage very suddenly and it was just too much for his body.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Owned by:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Owned by:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, it was back to the vets this morning. Widget was struggling to pee and when he did manage it, only a few drops came out.

Vet isn't too concerned at this point and gave me some anti-inflammatories to give him alongside the other medicine. If he bloats out and becomes properly blocked (so can't pee at all) or any blood appears then I've got to take him straight back and he'll probably have to have a catheter.

So nothing horrific at this stage but need to keep doing what I'm doing by monitoring him and getting him his meds.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear he's still having issues. Poor little guy :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So we were back at the vets today. Widget was still having troubles peeing properly but the vet said whilst he was eating, drinking and peeing (even if it was only a small stream or dribbles) then it was good. He was also his normal active self. Today we came home and Widget was nowhere to be found when he's normally the first at the door wanting attention. We discovered him hiding under my bed, feeling very sorry for himself, not really able to move too quickly. I felt him and he was pretty solid- so was obviously blocked again- unable to pee at all. Not as bloated as the first time but bad enough to get an emergency appointment at the vets.

He's had to stay in- they're taking bloods and checking his heart and other vital organs. If there's no serious ill effects from the backed up urine found then they're going to anesthetize him and put a catheter in with an IV. They'll then wait for his bladder to drain through the catheter (and hopefully clear whatever is causing the blockage) and then will keep him there after taking the catheter out until he eats, drinks and pees normally on his own.

I actually just had a call as I was typing this though - he's come round from the anesthetic ok, is eating and meowing lots (typically!) but seems to be ok. They said it was fairly easy to clear the blockage too. They've flushed his bladder a few times and are keeping him topped up with liquids to make sure everything is flowing through ok with the catheter. Likely to be in a couple of days before they take out the catheter. So fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the update. I always hold my breath when I see a post in this thread, but it sounds like your kitty is in good hands, so good for you for sticking it out. Hope all goes well *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor guy, hopefully them flushing out his bladder will help resolve the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bless him. Sending tons of hugs and good vibes that this solves the problem.
Jo n Merlin xxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for all your kind words. It's been a bit of a worrying time but Widget is obviously made of tough stuff!

We've been getting updates once or twice a day from the vet. Widget had the catheter and IV removed this morning. His bladder was flushed through several times and they sent a urine sample to the lab to see if any bacteria was present which could cause cystitis. If bacteria is present in the sample then the lab will grow it in order to find out the type of bacteria and see which anti-biotics are needed to treat it.
He's been eating small amounts apparently- but they put that down to being in an unfamiliar place as opposed to any illness. They said he's very bright and seems well in himself. They're now waiting to see if he can take in and pass fluids on his own, without the catheter. Once they're happy then he'll be coming home- tomorrow with a bit of luck.

I can't wait to get him home. It's not the same without him here!

Pixel didn't seem too bothered that he was missing at first, but now she keeps meowing loudly as if she's shouting for him (they usually communicate when they're looking for each other). She's also been VERY needy today. So perhaps she does actually miss him.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww that has to be a little unnerving for her now that she's realized he's missing. *fingers crossed* he does well today and can come home!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry, just realised I hadn't posted an update in a few days.

Widget came home on Saturday. I've got to take him back in a week for a check up but he's doing ok. He's on a special diet for now and he's pee'd normally a couple of times that we've seen. He's got some more cystaid to take for a while. He's very bright in himself and wants lots of fuss and cuddles.

The main problem we had was Pixel. She freaked out when we got him home (presumably because she couldn't identify him by smell) and went absolutely nuts. She screamed so much that she gave herself a sore throat! She would start screaming as soon as he even meowed- even though he was in a different room. We separated them Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday I went out as soon as the shops opened and got two feliway defusers. Fortunately they made a big difference. She's still hissing and spitting and occassionally yowling but she's so much better than she was. In fact, they're currently sleeping in the same room... which wouldn't have happened Saturday or Sunday. She's a right grouch with him though and won't let him pass (or gets very funny about it when he dares to dart past her). He's mostly indifferent- just a bit wary. I think he's more confused than anything.

However, other than that hiccup, he's fine and doing well so far. :biggrin:

Owned by: