[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal Polyneuropathy
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal Polyneuropathy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there. Would love some advice on our 6 month old male bengal kitten. For the last week he has had weakness in both hind legs. He isn't running or playing and just sleeps most of the day. Eating and using the toilet fine. He hasn't had any accident in the garden. Took him to the vet on Monday just gone, nothing untoward found and told to go back in a few days if no better. Been back today as he hasn't improved. The vet has taken blood but I am doubting this will show up anything. He is due to go back on Monday for xrays and again I am feeling that this won't show up anything. I have been researching on here about Bengal Polyneuropathy and have a feeling this sounds exactly like what he has got. The vet hadn't heard of it and didn't like the sound of giving a kitten steroids.

I just want to ask - is there a difference between Bengal Polyneuropathy and Distal Neuropathy? When I researched Distal neuropathy the prognosis didn't look good and just wondered if these diseases were the same? Also, if the vet is not familiar with these diseases, do I need to seek a neurologist or just go to a different vet? If steroids will help him, I would rather that than just leave him - it is so sad that he doesn't have his sparkle anymore!

Any help much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there, Sorry to hear about your 6 month old male kitten. I have a post on this thread regarding Bengal Polyneuropahy a few years ago. My cat Ziggy developed polyneuropathy. Vet sent him to the Royal Dick Vet Hospital here in Scotland. They did a barriage of test on him and yes he did have Bengal Polyneuropathy.
They put him on a course on steroids. Ziggy is now fully fit, he is great. Please push the vet for the steroids,, and don't let them do biopsies on your cat. it nearly killed Ziggy, you will see that when you read ther post.
The younger the cat is then the better chance they have.
I'll be honest and say that I don't know the difference between Distal/Bengal Polyneuropathy.
Fingers crossed for you
Colin x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is a link to Colins thread about Ziggy.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2607

Heather

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Really sorry to hear about it. Here are other recent threads with cats with similar problems:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all for your help, in particular Colinmc11. It was actually your post from a few years ago that I had come across that made me think this sounded so familiar. Theo has now been xrayed, bloods taken and all coming back negative. There is only one blood test we are now waiting on which is for Acetylcholine receptor - a rare condition that affects their hind legs/nerves. This is going to take about 10 days to come back and I suspect that will also be negative.
The vet isn't keen on steroids in a 6 month old kitten, but I rather take the approach of try it and see. If it doesn't help, then at least we've tried, but if it does work, then a huge bonus. It is so sad to see our active kitten so lethargic now an unable to even climb up on the settee. So if the vet won't go down the steroid route, we'll either find a vet who is or get the medication online for him.
As per your advice Colin, we won't be having biopsies done!!
Will keep you all updated!
So encouraging to hear that Ziggy is well and healthy now - I believe his birthday is coming up soon?!!

Regards,
Victoria.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Victoria,
If the tests come back negative for the Acetylcholine receptor, let the vet know that the steroids are not a long term agenda,,, Like i said in the post,, your kitten can wave/wane,,, ie get better then relapse,,,, if your kitten does relapse, start the steroid treatment again,,, If your vet wants any more info on this matter, get them to contact the Royal Dick vet College in Edinburgh.... Steroids are the treatment for this illness,, Fingers crossed,
Colin x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much Colin! I think that as the vet is not familiar with this he is hesitant on giving steroids without any diagnosis. The test results are not due back until next week but as of yesterday Theo is now only walking on his front legs and dragging his hind legs (like the splits), which means he now can't even manage to get in/out of the litter tray properly. I am so worried that if this is just left he will progressively get worse. So we are going back lunchtime today and going to have to really push for steroids - you have to try something as his quality of life is getting worse. I will update you on this. I am so worried that steroids won't work or the outcome won't be good. We had Theo's half brother last year but lost him being run over so am terrified of losing another one now. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much Elaine! I took a print out from your post with the contact details for the Edinburgh university. He has now given Theo a steroid injection and oral steroids to start tomorrow. Going back Monday hopefully with a little improvement- how quickly did the steroids work for you? If no improvement our next step will be advice from Edinburgh and contacting Bristol university for further help. Will keep you updated further, but thank you so much for your help and forum as we would have been in the dark otherwise with no positive outlook.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Everyone - my 16 month old Bengal (Buddy) got diagnosed with Bengal Polyneuropathy on Friday 21 March 2014. We have been on a roller coaster ride of testing & our tears - which resulted in an MRI Scan / Muscle & Nerve Biopsy - then the results sent from San Diego, USA to back here in UK - yes he has Polyneuropathy.

Friday 21 March was the first time he was given a Steroid injection & we are seeing results already in his ability to walk more than just 3 steps. Keeping fingers & paws crossed that with some more Steroids given he will be back to his old funky self. If anyone is interested - I have a 8 page document written by Diane Shelton of The San Diego Pathology Unit. We are based in Essex, but had the testing carried out at a Centre in Newmarket, Cambs.

Colin - do you have the name of your Steroids please & was Metacam or Anti-Inflammatory dosages of Prednisone used to get your cat back on track? Buddy has spent way too much time sleeping because he was weak - we need to get him moving again but I think he has rather taken to being showered with TLC instead.

I'm guessing around August of 2013 he stopped jumping up onto the kitchen counters - but at the time I did not realise something was up. It was when he failed to get up onto our bed that my concerns started. On first inspection very late December 2013 the VET felt along his spine & as Buddy winced in pain at the middle section - we decided on Metacam for a pulled muscle or even a disc issue. The Metacam did bring results - but he then deteriorated Feb to Mar. So - any post.diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. x x x :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

A quick update to say that already the steroids are having an improvement with Theo!! He could barely walk Friday, had the injection and taking oral steroids since. He can now walk properly and can get in the litter tray. I know we have a long way to go to have him back running around, but was terrified last week we were going to lose him. I know that Bengals can be slim cats, but think he has lost a little weight and looking a little bony on his rear end, even though he hasn't gone off his food at all. Have gone and got him some chicken today to perk him up!!
Thank you again so much for your help and advice. The vet is still of the opinion that he may have improved anyway without the steroids, but given the fact that he could barely walk Friday, I suspect he was going to go downhill gradually and that it is the steroids that have worked their magic.
Will hopefully be able to give some positive update again in a month or so when he will be back to his normal naughty self!!

Victoria.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I will gladly email you the .pdf document - 8 pages - extremely informative. Also later this evening I will attempt to upload it here - but am new to the forum & not sure if this will be possible. Regards Steph x