It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

I think I need an advice.

When I got my kittens from a breeder (they were 12 weeks old) they were both having some signs of upper respiratory infection (running nose, eyes, sneezing). In addition one of them was coughing from time to time (once a day or once per couple days).

A breeder gave me antibiotic which I was giving to kittens for one week, but it did not do anything. So I showed cats to a vet. And she told that there was nothing to worry about. That all symptoms should go away in a few weeks. And she gave me l-lysine to add to their food.

In couple weeks the time to revaccinate them came and I showed them to another vet as I was worrying if we could actually vaccinate them or not. And the vet again checked them and did not find anything wrong other then slight signs of upper respiratory infection. She actually told they were healthy enough to vaccinate them.

Now it is two month since I brought kittens home. They don’t sneeze and their noses are not running, however their eyes are not perfect. In addition to eyes I still catch them coughing (once a week or something like this for 15-30 seconds). Is it normal? How long does it take to fully recover from URI?

There are no other symptoms (knock on wood). They eat well (even too well), they play a lot.

I don’t want to bring them to vet if there is no real need as 1) it is -20C and they can get cold easily 2) they will be stressed a lot 3) they can catch some infection in vet clinic. But if whatever is happening is bad, I will. Please advice.