It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: HCM contributed??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,
I am copying part of my post in the breeder section of the forum. I am still so unsure of what exactly caused our baby to get so sick, so fast. If anyone has ever had a similar health issue in one of their Bengals, I would welcome any feedback, thank you, -kk:

I am new on this forum. We lost our beautiful marble boy three weeks ago. He would have been 7 in May.
I know that I will want another and possibly two Bengals down the road. We are still actively grieving but I know that time will help heal. Our memorial to Ari is tomorrow with poems, songs and wish lanterns to honor his presence, he was the light of our lives. I can't imagine living without that wonderful Bengal energy forever.

I am terrified of having any health problems when we do get another. Ari seemed fine one day, stopped eating the next and after many tests including an echocardiogram and Ultrasound , trachial wash and cultures taken we still don't know what happened. He died of acute respiratory failure within 4 days of first seeing the vet, the day after he stopped eating. His echo showed mild to moderate HCM but the cardiologist ruled it as sub clinical. Being a strictly indoor cat we don't know the cause (a virus?, the cultures came back negative for bacteria) and neither do the specialty vets who treated him. It was a heart-breaking roller coaster for those 4 days and he had he best care available. His Daddy and I had both been very ill with a respiratory virus ourselves the week before...The vet says no but...