[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - severe diarrhea with blood and incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello everyone, I am having a hugeproblem with Jasper! Over the last three days things went from bad to even worse. Jasper has had tummy problems since the first week we got him ( will be one year next week) I have taken him to three vets so far and had him tested for everything we could think of. after treating for giardia, coccidia, and worms snd the problems still went on, he had two more full panel pcr and everything was normal. So I thought it might be the blue wilderness he was eating and switched him from that to Royal Canin gastro. This helped tremendously and he stopped having accidents and his stool became formed, but not completely solid if that makes sense. So fast forward until three days ago, I was cleaning the litter boxes and noticed diarrhea again! I kept a close eye to make sure it was Jasper and sure enough it was. After three trips to the box that day he started to have blood and mucous again. The next morning I called the vet and he of course suggested only boiled chicken with broth for 24 hours and bring him in today if he wasnt improving. So yesterday he was in the kitchen with me while I was cooking, he was sitting in front of the fridge grooming himself, stood up and did the usual shake (shaking his body) and poo went everywhere! It was horrible and needless to say I was horrified. So I wake up this morning and go to wake my kids for school and their is poo and blood all over mydaughters comforter! I got Jasper and cleaned him and the mess up (this was his third bath within 24 hours) he was sitting on my lap while I was drying him and he went everywhere again. So off to the vets we went. Test came back he has tape worms so they gave him panacur and said that is all it was!!!! I have never in my life been so upset! There is no way all of that was caused by worms over a three day period, and to add to it he is on revolution! What on earth do I do next? The vet also assured me if it was food allergies his new diet royal canin gastro, onky dry, would clear it up. It did help but his poo was still loose, it never became completely firm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It seems odd that they're saying he has tape worms? :eek: How on earth would he get those? Good luck, sounds horrible. Love to Jasper and hope you sort things out fast with the help of your Vet xxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:43 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Man sorry to hear that, My parents bengals used to vomit all the time, not exactly sure how their stools were, but once they switched from Nutro to Royal canine sensitive stomach, they hardly ever vomit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hang in there Jasper and friends :neutral:

He's lucky to have you in his corner.

joseph.tilseth@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ok the vet just called after running numerous test on his poo and said he is 100% convinced it is tf and wants to go ahead and treat him! What do I do? The only thing that is bothering me is he will not treat BB because she is not symptomatic, is that not pointless?

Thank you all for your well wishes and reading my book of a post!! I am just so frustrated because I know Jasper is uncomfortable, I sat and cried all day trying to figure out what to do!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Revolution is a spot on and I don't think it covers tape worm ...hence the panacur. I tend to do panacur 6monthly and stronghold which covers mites, fleas, and worms just not tape every 3 months

I guess if he has a sensitive tummy as it is then it might be why there was such an effect.

I would put him on the dry gastro only and give him literally nothing else, no treats no wet nothing until he has formed properly and then start to introduce things back in very slowly. Poor jasper and poor you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He said their was an "unknown" organism under the microscope. After consulting with three colleagues they all seem to think it is tf. The thing is, I didnt think tf could be easily seen with a microscope and a culture had to be grown or the pcr. He has had the pcr (more thsn once) and the " pouch testing" or at least thats what the vet called it. Both have been negative, however I have read and been told time and time again the only results you can be sure of are positive ones. I am also nervous about treating him blindly. I am so torn right now I dont know what to do! The vet has ordered the meds and they should be here next week, so I have until then to decide. I just honestly dont know what it could be! He has been on RC gasto dry for a month now, I finished the transition and cut out the wet food altogether. He also has not had any treats since then, other than freezedried chicken or boiled chicken. I am just really concerned about him, I have never seen that much blood come out of any living creature's bottom without something being terribly wrong. It wasn't just blood streaked stool, it was pools of blood that soaked through a blanket, comforter, two sheets, and into the mattress! I literally had to take a spoon and scoop it off the bed to put in s container, just to show the vet I wasnt exaggerating the amount of blood.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh so sorry I didn't see the post above mine re the tf. I can understand your concern as obviously need to treat bb aswell due to passing it around.

Poor jasper this just sounds a nightmare, could you contact UC Davies and maybe ask for their advice, and explain the situation of what has been occurring.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

TF can be seen but often is mistakingly diagnosed as Giardia as it can look similar to the untrained eye....

It could well be that he has TF, it does sound very much like it. I know you have been concerned about it for some time.

Regarding BB.... I ink you have a few options.

1 do what the vet says and keep your fingers crossed for no cross contamination
2 isolate Jasper from BB whilst giving Ronidazole and for 1-2 weeks after to make sure he is clear
3 lie! Take a sample of BB's poo and pop some of Jasper's in it :rolleyes: might not be easy... If you can get them both warm and fresh, it might even multiply....

Sorry I can't be of more help... On holiday at the moment so not checking on here as much. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi lollo!! I hope you holiday is going great! Thank you for taking the time to answer my post! Ok so this is what the vet is telling me now. I went to get the meds and he told me a 12 day supply would be enough to treat Jasper, since BB is only a carrier and not symptomatic give her the rest of it( two day treatment) I am ready to pull my hair out with our vet!!! I also contacted UC Davis small animal clinic, he said that I should seperate them for the treatment and 14 days after treatment,assuming it works and Jasper has normal stool. After the one month seperation if Jasper returns to normal and is introduced back with BB and shows signs again within a month she is also infected. This is so confusing and I have no idea what to do! I CAN NOT let Jasper continue the way he is! It is stressing me to the point of having major anxiety attacks that lead me to the hospital Saturday night. It has to be equally stressful if not more stressful on him!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You need to find another vet. In a way this is fortunate, because through this non-life-threatening experience you discovered their incompetence and can now make a better choice. I realize that switching vets right this instant might be unsettling, because you are knee deep in this, but I think the sooner you find another one the better for you. Get a recommendation from someone you know with cats if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat