It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

First, a brief medical history of my 1.5 year old bengal LIly-

Two or three weeks ago she had surgery to remove a piece of plastic mouse from her stomach. The vet surgically opened her stomach and removed it. Lots of stitches were involved.

Her stitches are finally healed but she decided that one of my spandex running shirts was what was on Friday night's dinner menu. After some vomiting (four times total) I decided she wasn't going to pass it and called the vet. In retrospect I should have called the night she ate it or the next day just to get their input.

Fast forward through an ER vet visit (Sunday night) that was precipitated by her emptying the entire contents of her stomach... to Monday. She was put on a special diet called a Bulking Diet (? any info would be nice ?) of 4 parts rice and 1 part boiled and shredded chicken (through a food processor). It's supposed to punch the material into her colon I guess... allowing her to finally pass it. She didn't vomit once for the first 24 hours and she passed a good amount of stool the night I put her on it (Monday night).

There was no vomiting until Tuesday night around 11 pm. I trained her for a half an hour or so (using crunchy treats as rewards) and after we were finished (30 minutes later), more barfing. It's nerve racking but the 24 hospital I had taken her to told me over the phone the treats I was feeding her probably didn't help her system. No more treats. Got it.

I'm opening this thread for whoever would like to follow through this with me and offer feedback and support as you like :) Any support would be great! I'm not sure what I'm looking for in her health, that is, I'm not sure what could be considered progress or regression. I only know that litter box usage, appetite and energy is good... and constipation, vomiting and lethargy is bad. Anything extra the forum could provide would be great.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry to hear what Lily has been thru. I have no experience of this but after reading your post I didn't want to leave without wishing her a speedy recovery.

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Her surgery and internal trauma involved in her operation would have been a massive shock to her digestive system.
Help her settle her sore tummy with the food/recipe you have been prescribed and lots of calm loving vibes - for sure avoid stress for kitty during this time.

The prescribed diet sounds like an attempt to move anything unwanted (tiny bits of non-digestible material) through her system and out. I hope that works well.
It may not have been the treats... without knowing exactly what they contain the vet prolly has to assume and advice against giving treats.

You can use chopped up pieces of boiled chicken as treats? .. its a little more messy but no reason to stop all your training and rewards and bonding thru training... just no more mass produced junky treats.

She may be fine of freeze dried and jerky style treats (100% pure meat with no additives) but be guided by your vet.

There was another thread recently that mentioned a kitty eating clothing and other odd (chewy/rubbery) things and same as there I suspect here you may have a case of PICA.
Again ask your vet about this ... if it turns out your kitty has PICA you can manage the condition (its lifelong) with practical actions in the home to prevent objects being chewed and swallowed in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd be looking into PICA as well, maybe a milder form of it, but it definitely sounds like a possibility.

I have no advice on the rest of it as I haven't had experience with any of my cats doing things like this.
But good luck and I hope it all works out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 am 
Senior Bengal

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It was really stressful for me there for a few days.

She seems to be coming through the worst of it. I finally transitioned her fully back to her regular diet and she seems to be taking it well. I haven't seen the piece of shirt she ate in her stool but the vet said it could be up to two weeks! She hasn't been vomiting which was my biggest concern from the start. Her coat looks really healthy and she's active and seeks attention.

Thanks again to those who posted.