[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Treatment for TF? Neurological issues?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 am 
Bengal Cat

After reading through this forum, I have read quite a bit about TF and am going to have my 5 month old kitten tested. I have noticed since I got him, that he had very stinky stools that are sometimes loose. I spoke to my vet about TF and he mentioned that the treatment for it can cause neurological disorders. Has anyone heard this? He mentioned that there is one cat that has tested positive for it, but decided not to do the treatment due to the potential neurological problems. I would insist on treatment if my kitten is positive, but would just feel absolutely terrible if my baby had a problem with the side effects. Just looking for some advice. Thank you!
Patty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Never heard this before.
(found it mentioned in a yahoo question while posting this)

Kinda makes me dubious about this vet tbh, was he dismissive about your concerns about TF to start with?.... meaning you pressed on and wanted to know more re. treatment and got his back up?

It sorta sounds like a ''look Im the vet here, love'' comment maybe, which is an attitude sometimes reported with grumpy vets... these are the guys/gals that audibly sigh if you mention your internet research.

I recommend you insist/demand (change vet if needed) to have the recommended TF test done on your boy's poop samples and dont let anyone deter you.
IF after testing and results he turns up with TF then the vet should be more accommodating.

There are others here more experienced with TF and its treatment (Ronidazole is the only treatment) that can tell you what they know about this.

Im dubious because its likely (if true) to be a tiny % risk and as you may know with ALL drugs (for humans and animals) there is always some tiny risk of reaction or extreme side affect.
Anaesthetic being no different.
Its just not normal for a vet to throw the absolute worse case scenario in your face at the first stage of inquiring about it.

Testing is easy (totally risk free) and doesnt even need kitty to be taken in... start there and good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, Ronidazole can cause neurological issues. But, over the years the dose used has been refined significantly and so the chance of suffering side effects is much rarer. Possibly why Bengal daddy has not heard of it.

When giving Ronidazole check that kitty has been prescribed the correct dose. I cannot remember what this is now but will check later when I'm not on my mobile.

Give Ronidazole at same time each day. Preferably morning or lunchtime so you can assess how they are over the day.

Play with kitty at the same time each day with a toy that is going to make them jump. Like da bird or flying frenzy. Use same toy each day at same time. This will assess how coordinated they are. How well they watch the toy. How well they jump and how well they land.

Any problems stop the drug and consult vet. The vast majority of issues are completely reversible once treatment has been stopped.

Almost any drug has side effects. So that in itself is not a worry. Untreated, TF can cause long term gut issues through damage to the gut lining. They can also be chronic carriers making adding more cats to their life problematic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:56 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks so much for your replies. I don't think my vet was really dismissive of my concerns, just mentioned the major side effect of the drug. My vet is a little on the holistic side, and tends to not want do unnecessary tests, more of a wait and see attitude. If it does come back testing positive, he will tell me the dude effects and have me make the decision. Great suggestion about the toy and watch him play yo see if I see any changes. I wonder if my other kitten would need treatment at the same time? My older cat uses her own litter box, for some reasons the kittens really don't really use hers. She is a diabetic, so I am not sure if I would treat her if he is positive. Not even sure if the whole household needs treatment.

I did ask my breeder if any of her cats tested positive for it, she said no, but a dog many years ago tested positive for Gia... (Can't remember what it is exactly called) but I am going to have him tested for that too. I did bring in a stool sample on his first visit to the vet, and just asked within the last week what they looked for, and it was more for the different types of worms.
I read that you need to do a three day stool sample? I have three cats, and older one (17) and another kitten, so this might be a little bit if a challenge, but I am sure I can do it. Thanks again so much for all your help and suggestions!

Patty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:08 pm 
Bengal Cat

So I just got the results back, he is negative for TF...BUT, he tested positive for Cryptosporidium. My vet would like him tested for Aids and Leukemia, as his immune system should be trying to fight it and it is not. He also mentioned testing for FIP, but he said that there really is not really an accurate test for FIP. He thinks if we start with the blood test for Aids and leukemia, then try to make some dietary changes with his food, and also try an antibiotic that is a good course of plan. I am freaking out inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anybody have any experience with this. I will bring him in tomorrow for the tests, and the vet said I should have the results before I leave.

I am feeding him holistic select dry food, and a combination of AVODERM crab and tuna, and Hills Prescription food I/D for gastrointestinal upset. I feed the wet 2 times per day and kind of switch off when is stools seem a little loose, give him the I/D.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

So sorry to hear that! I have no experience of Cryptosporidium but do a search on this forum to see what info you can find and make a note of any questions you may have for the vet tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks Lisa, I appreciate your well wishes so much. I have been up since 4:00 am worried sick. In about an hour I will know if he has leukemia or aids. Then we can deal with the next step in treating/dealing with the Cryptosporidium. I didn't really see too much on this forum about it, so I am trying to research it on my own.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How was the TF tested for? Forgive me if you've already said.

I have dealt with Cryptospiridian (?spelling). I think my cat caught it from stagnant water on a building site near by when my other cats went out.... Not real treatment given. Just wait and see for them to clear it themselves. It can take weeks!

I'm surprised, given what you previously said about your vet not wanting to do tests etc., that they have worried you so much over this. My vets said that, whilst not ideal, it was not the end of the world. Kittens, elderly and sick cats will take longer to rid it than normal healthy cats.

I'm also shocked at the FIP test comment from your vet. There is no real definitive test for FIP, but there is a test for corona virus which, something like 80% of all cats will have come in contact with at some point. Testing for corona antibodies will not ever tell you the risk of the cat developing FIP. So it is a pointless test and pointless worry. If the poo sample had been sent for a FULL fecal panel by PCR or QPCR then corona virus would have been picked up if it was being shed at the time.

Unless your cat has had this tummy upset for months then I'm not sure why the vet is stressing you out so much over these additional tests.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm 
Bengal Cat

Ok negative for Feline aids and leukemia!! My vet was worried that because his body wasn't fighting it, that he could have a immune disease, which is why he wanted the two tests to start. I seriously couldn't keep it together after I heard from him. He never mentioned FIP again, and I was so overwhelmed that I didn't think of it until just now.
As far as the Cryptosporidium, he is going to have an antibiotic compounded (in a treat form) and I should have it within the week. He will need to be on it for a month, he did say that there is not really a specific treatment for it, but I am hoping that it might clear up the loose stools and the smell. I did have the full panel fecal test, which looks at the DNA. I asked about my other two cats (4 month old kitten, and a 17 year old diabetic cat) and he said they should be able to fight it off with their own immune system, and to make sure that I clean the litter box with ammonia and water (bleach doesn't kill it). My vet also told me to find a food that works for him, and stick with it, don't worry that he is getting sick of it.

Thank you for the well wishes, they helped.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

One more thing, my kitten has had stinky loose stools since I got him. We did even wind up at the emergency clinic, which turned out to be gas bubbles in him tummy that was causing him pain. I am assuming that it is all related to his parasite, which is why I am glad that he will be treated with an antibiotic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:34 pm 
Bengal Cat

Unfortunately I only did one sample :( I wish I had known I needed more... I will definitely have him retested though. I will do the course of antibiotics for the month, obviously watch him and his stools, and limit his wet food to two specific ones that he likes (and they agree with him) And if there is no improvement, I will do the PCR test again (with three samples next time) I will have to wait over a month, as I want to make sure that antibiotics are out of his system before I have him tested again.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Patty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:44 pm 
Bengal Cat

Update... This is the start of the third day, that he has been on Tylosin, and he just went to the bathroom and there is NO smell!!!!!! The "treat" form that they compounded for him, he doesn't happen to like, (of course) so I am using a spoon and cutting it into a bazillion pieces and putting it in a tiny bit of wet food, once he eats it all, I give him more of his wet food. It's quite a process to feed the three cats, as my oldest currently has a UTI and is also on a antibiotic (liquid form).

I do give all my cats half a capsule if the probiotics in the morning, would you suggest I give him another half capsule at night too, or do you think once a day is good? Thank you!

Patty