[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Kittens scratches from clawing and biting each other
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Our 5 month olds are brother and sister, both desexed. They are generally good buddies, often sleeping cuddled together and of course they play a lot together. Their play wrestles can be just fun but sometimes go too far and we break them up if one yells out. This isn't occuring as much, now that they have around 8 hours a day outside time (it is summer here). I guess they expend energy on better things now. We play with them and Da Bird lots every day, too. Maybe once or twice a week we still break them up. We trim the tips of their claws once a week.

I check their whole body each evening for ticks (nasty ones here that can cause paralysis even death). So I can count the little scabs on their bodies from these "play fights". They are generally around the upper foreleg, neck and head, though some elsewhere too. Ripley has at least 20 little scabs from her brother scratching or biting her, and Jonesy has about half that number.

Should I treat them with antiseptic? I am keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't form an abcess. If so, what would be best to use? I have Betadine antispeptic liquid or Savlon cream to hand. Of course, they will wash it off, so not sure about using that sort of thing. Should I just keep checking them and, unless they form an abcess, leave them alone? Their saliva does contain stuff which helps healing, right? The sores arenn't especially tender - they generally let me have a close look to check it's a scab and not a tick.

Any advice would be appreciated. Guess I'm a little worried - and hoping they will stop doing this. Or at least keep it to a minimum! Neither of them has gone hard on more fragile areas like their ears. Will they grow out of this behaviour? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

DON'T use normal antiseptic / Savlon / TCP - It will burn them.
Use a dilute saline solution and dab with cotton wool - ensuring you remove any loose fibres as well as debris from claws.
The best thing is to get some Hibiscrub and use it diluted - It is safe on cats and doesn't have the active ingredients which would burn them.