It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So, following in from my post in Behavious forum, this is where we're uo to

Amelie had 1 week of AB for her urine infection and seemed to improve with no accidents for 5 days, but now, 1 wk after completing the ABs, we're having daily accidents again, mostly in the morning - I, tempted to say exclusively in the morning: 1 wee on the sofa bed, 1 wee on the counter top in the utility, and today a wee on the floor next to the sofa.

I have managed to take 2x different urine samples to the vet.

They found a trace of protein but nothing else. They said that when thy did the pacific gravity, her urine is very concentrate nd they've checked it twice.

The plan now is for her to have a blood test tomorrow to check her kidneys and restart a longer course of ABs.

Does anyone here have anything else to suggest?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Argh @ autocorrect.

Specific gravity,not pacific LOL

1 handed typing not helping either but that's Amelie's fault as I am having to use my other hand to stop her fom falling off my lap as she sleeps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

concentrated pee might be painful pee to pass (does it smell strong?)
That sample you cleverly syringed was that very dark?

She might think her tray is biting her bum when she goes (my way of saying pain/tray association) have you noticed her jump in her tray only to jump out again?
(this can be a sign that the tray is being blamed by kitty for painful toileting)

I see she is going in several places and rooms and hasnt chosen a favourite place outside the box...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

my afterthought was, maybe the course of ABs she had was enough to bash the bug but not kill it off... the same is true in humans when they feel better and stop taking ABs early only for the few remaining bugs to build back up to previous levels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Absolutely, agree with all you've said. We definitely think that she's holding on and holding on until she's unable to anymore and just goes where she is because she's rarely gone in the same place twice.

She definitely jumps in and out of the litter boxes.

Her urine didn't look very dark to me, but tbh, I wouldn't really know what a "normal" cat urine should look like, it's usually in a clump ready to be shovelled out :wink:

I rarely see her drink except for occasionally out of the tap faucet (cute) so I try and encourage that where I can, make sure the water in the bowl is fresh and have been adding a spoonful of water to her wet food every day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Be guided by human pee knowledge when it comes to evaluating kitty pee... darker colour and stronger scent (like 1st pee in the morning for humans) means she is concentrating her pee and it could be hurting her to go.
ABs can fix the bugs but there are lots of other cases of pee problems like crystals that can cause pain.
I have no experience of those but I know people here have.

I suggest adding water to her meals (all of them) and giving her no choice but to take in more water than she needs from her meals... this will increase peeing and reduce the concentration of her pee for now.
I realise that means more work dealing with her peeing inappropriately more often though :confused:

If you are around the home enough to put out regular wet meals dont be afraid of cutting out her dry (if she has) until this is sorted.

My other suggestion is to have a new pain-free tray ready to go but wait till she is peeing in comfort (wherever she's doing it) before introducing the new tray in hopes that she wont associate the new tray with pain... try to pick one that looks very different to current ones.
the current trays have already bitten her bum now so she may never trust them again but I hope not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

I have just had a bad experience with something similar (I've just wrote a post about blocked bladder and kidney damage) we had 2 urine samples and the vet said nothing found however my baby had a blocked bladder on Monday from a stone caused by crystals. Maybe get them to do other tests. We've been told to make the decision tonight. I just wish I had done x rays etc sooner as we may have caught it earlier. I don't mean to scare you just make sure your vet is checking everything.

I hope your little girl gets better soon and you resolve the peeing in places.. x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your poor cat :(

Thankfully, Amelie is all better and the bad habits are also pretty much all gone. Thanks for all your input everybody