[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - lump on back - actually a hole? help?!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi Guys.

My boy, Kasper has had a sensitive back for the last few days, like when you're stroking him, he's been meowing as if to say 'please not there!' which is unusual because he loves a good stroke.

Friday my partner said 'he's got a lump, maybe that's why he's been in pain' I had a feel, but couldn't feel anything other than his hip bone, so I just dismissed it.

I've just been giving him a stroke (he no longer seems to be in pain) and have actually found a lump. When I pushed his fur back, I noticed it was a bit scabby, so I had a further look, and ending up peeling away a clump of hair, that looks like it's just one big hair follicle, if that makes any sense whatsoever? And now, there is a hole. It looks like a small puncture wound, yet I don't think that's what it is.

Could it of been the hair follicle?

And is there anything I can clean it with, rather than taking him to the vets? I'm worrying because it's an open wound.

(Please see pictures below)

Bottom picture is the lump of hair I peeled away - I didn't pull it out, it just peeled it's self away when I was moving the hair aside.

Please share your thoughts!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya, could he have been bitten/scratched by another cat/animal at all?

What I would do is keep an eye for any swelling and redness - if it swells to a lump it means its infected and more then likely turned into an absess - but don't worry, a course of antis will be good to sort it.

If not I would keep an eye on it (which of course you will) ....I'm not sure where you are countrywise but you can bathe the area in an antiseptic wash. In the UK there is one called Hibiscrub - its actually what vets and doctors will use to wash their hands (a pink liquid - not actually a scrub as such) you water it down with warm water to a v light pink colour and bathe using a cotton wool ball - that will keep the area clean. You could also clip away the surrounding fur just to let the air get to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:51 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks so much for replying! I've just bathed it in salt water as we have nothing anti-septic wise.

It is a lump, which is what made me noticed it. I've had a good poke around (gently) and there seems to be no puss or sign of infection. He's also let me sit and bathe it, and poke it, so there seems to be no pain with it.

It could be from another cat, he goes out a few hours each day, but he does tend to stay away from other cats. The hole only appeared once I pulled the hair away, as in, the clump of hair caused the hole (does that make sense?)

I've asked my partner to see how it is tomorrow and to bathe it again. And I think I'll keep him in for a day or two, just because I'm a panicky mother, haha! He's having a good lick now, so he seems okay. I just panicked because it's the first thing that's ever happened to him!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah the position of it looks like a cat has jumped on his back - its a dominance thing.

Ok just keep an eye on the lump, but if there is obvious swelling antis will be needed as a cat bite/scratch is full of soooo much bacteria its frightening. Keep a v close eye :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:58 pm 
Bengal Cat

If it's no better by Tuesday, I'm gonna get my partner to take him to the vets.
I'm gonna leave it alone for now, check on it tomorrow morning and bathe it again.

Thank you for replying, I've literally been sat refreshing this page, hoping someone would reply quickly!
I'll let you know how he goes!

x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are more then welcome :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I immediately thought of a bite... cat bites get nasty fast.
Max has had them a few times when Faust got mad enough to retaliate.
Keeping it clean will help. It always freaks me out when chunks of hair fall out,
but that's what happens with scabs on a cat. I'm FINALLY getting used to it after 4 years with Faust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Bengal Cat

Guys I've just found another lump about an inch above the previous one :( He won't let me near it to look at the moment as he's having one of his mad hours.

My partner keeps telling me it's nothing, but doing a degree in Animal Science tells me different. I'm gonna try and get a look at the other lump ASAP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My bulldog used to have these occasionally. We put it down to a scratch or mosquito bite (we lived in Spain at the time). A small amount of fur would come off where the scab was (same as in your photo). Obviously if you are worried, a quick trip to the vet to put your mind at rest but I would not be overly concerned.

The small lumps (which then became small scabs) could have been "infected" slightly but not to the point of infection where puss is comjng out or antibiotics are needed.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 pm 
Bengal Cat

He's let me fiddle about with both of them this afternoon. The second lump is probably about twice the size of the first, but I can't find a hole/wound like on the first. And neither of them seem to be causing him any trouble whatsoever. I'm going to see how they are tomorrow, if they look any worse I'll book him in to see the vet, until them I'm going to salt water bathe them.

I think they could be bug bites. It can't be fleas as there are no other signs, he doesn't scratch, there's no flea dirt, his coat is immaculate, so maybe just a nasty bug?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah I agree. The lump may be itchy which then causes a small scab and when it comes off, a small patch of hair comes off with it.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

Yeah that's exactly what happened. Although I haven't seen him scratching, when I peeled the fur away to have a look at the lump, the clump of hair came off with a scab.

I've kept him in all day (I need a medal!) and I think I'll keep him in tomorrow as well to reduce anything else getting in it. The smaller lump scab looks a lot calmer today! Thank God!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It does look like two small punctures from a bite or scratch. The second lump under the skin could be an abscess if there was any infection passed through the initial wounds. It is normal for a pussy scab to lift in the manner the hair / goo came away, so don't worry about that - It will heal! As recommended, trimming back the hair will let the air at it, and allow you to keep it nice and clean with a dilute salt water or the Hibiscrub solution - Don't be tempted to use TCP or similar, as this is toxic to cats. Warm salt water is always best if you have nothing else - I use a good pinch to a half-pint, and make sure it has fully dissolved, then leave until it feels cool to the finger - not cold.

Keep a close eye on the second lump, as an abscess will burst without much warning! If it does, then you will need to give it a good clean out with the diluted solution, and probably get some antibiotics from the vet. An abscess can be very smelly and pussy, but is nothing too bad as long as it is kept clean. It can appear to be a big hole, but they normally close up with hardly a mark being left.

He will have much much worse as he grows up - Cats get into no end of mischief, and are always snagging claws, fighting, being naughty! It is all part of being a furry family! :wink1: :laugh2:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm not home for a couple of days but my partner is going to keep an eye on both lumps and I'm gonna check in on Wednesday!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

Good news guys :)
Both lumps cleared up after a few days! The smaller one that had the scab, I bathed it for 3 days, once a day and it has completely gone now! The bigger lump that had no scab has reduced to just a teeny bump now so fingers crossed that will be gone in a day or two.

I think may have been bug bites. Although, we do occasionally take Kasper to my mum's, where he plays with Frankie who is about 6 months older than him (but looks tiny next to my boy!) so they could be accidental claw marks!

Thanks for all your replies and advice :) x