[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Rio has got diarrhoea AGAIN
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/sites/def ... omonas.pdf

Have a look at the sheet from Langfords attached - they clearly state testing should be done in cats that have not had antis within 7 days of testing.

I worry who your vet is speaking with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Lacemoat but it is gobbledegook when I click on the link and download the .pdf???? Maybe cos I'm doing it on my phone? Not had this prob before (it shows like this - #$/*& #"@/^)

I will do it tomorrow at work and send it to him.

Thanks for your help

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I find their response odd.

I have attended seminars at Langfords with a variety of vets from over the world. TF is often discussed as is a big problem for breeders. It is well known amongst breeders that it us shed intermittently so a series of samples is recommended otherwise you run the risk that you have missed it. DNA doesn't usually degrade so badly in a short spac of time. Langfords informed me that a PCR test will detect dead DNA as well as live so it shouldn't matter if the poo is a couple of days old. Store in the fridge in between samples.

I would start taking samples on a Friday, continue over the weekend and then hand them into the vet on the Monday. The vet does not need to know some of the poo is a few days old.

Regarding not waiting after antibiotics. All the research I have done and what I was told at Langfirds is to wait. This minimises the chances of a false negative. Langfords told me that TF is a tricky parasite and the only result you can be 100% sure of is a positive one. It takes care to catch it on screening.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

http://www.icatcare.org/advice-centre/c ... ction-cats

Note they have updated the recommended dose to 20-30mg per kg per day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Lollo. I will be emailing my vet tomorrow with this information from both you and Lacemoat. It can only do good if he is updated as he clearly has this wrong on the "test for TF when on ABs" malarky.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just say that after you have spoken to other people who have had to deal with it you would rather wait two weeks. At the end of the day, it is your choice. You pay them and so, in theory, they should respect your wishes. At least if it comes back negative after following the steps you will have the biggest chance it is a true result.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Lollo.

My only concern is that I think he is ONLY sending off for the TF test. He hasn't heard of the one I mentioned to him (idexx code 2358). This tests for everything AND TF.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you want the other things tested for then ask for that. You can even print the page off the internet and give to him. He obviously has internet at work so could actually research it himself. My vets had a big order book for Idexx labs and brought it to show me exactly what was covered in the test they wanted to send.

I suspect he has not really dealt with TF before judging by his responses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are also free to ring another vets......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Lollo. He knew aboit TF (he mentioned it before I did) but said he's not had a case of it before.

I will not be sending the poop samples until the ABs are out of their system and I will be sending him some links from on here tomorrow.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, I've just emailed the vet the following -

Please can I ask that you check this link out - http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/sites/def ... omonas.pdf

And in particular, the paragraph "Diagnosis of Tritrichomonas Foetus" - here it states that for an accurate test, this should be done on cats that have not received antibiotics in the 7 days before sampling.

I will bring a sample to you a week on Monday for both Rio and Chilli to be tested. Sadly, although Rio's faeces is not liquid now (more a soft stool), there was blood and mucus again this morning.

The Idexx test code (2627) can be found here -

http://gsa.idexx.com/search?q=Tritricho ... n&entqrm=0

It tests for the following -

Idexx 2627 Feline Diarrhea RealPCR™ Panel—Comprehensive
Tritrichomonas foetus, Giardia spp., Cryptosporidium spp., Toxoplasma gondii, Salmonella spp., Clostridium
perfringens enterotoxin A gene, feline coronavirus (FeCoV) and feline panleukopenia virus RealPCR™ tests

The only reason I would prefer a full faecal panel check and not just for TF is because the other vet I saw initially said that sometimes these do not show in every stool sample so it could be that they do not have TF but one Rio has already tested negative for.

I will leave this with you to find out more information (costs etc) and I will bring the stool samples for both Rio and Chilli in to you Monday 28 October for sending off for testing.

I will let you know what the vet comes back to me saying!!

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have just had a call from the vet. He said that if Rio was on Metronidazole antibiotic, then yes, we would have to wait for it to clear from the system to prevent a false negative for TF. However, as it is only Sylfolux (amoxicillin), then this is not necessary and he has said there is no point giving it as it is not doing any good. He has asked me to get a sample to him from both Rio and Chilli on Monday for sending off for testing.

He is also going to find out the cost of the full panel testing (i.e. not just for TF) and let me know as he agrees with me that we may as well test for everything we can to make sure it wasn't missed last time.

I found blood and mucus in Rio's poop again this morning :( but on the up side, he is well in himself, eating and drinking and racing round. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon.

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a quick update. ...still bloody, smelly diarrhoea. I am taking a sample in to the vets for both Rio and Chilli on Monday. It will be tested for the things Rio tested negative for before (Giardia, Coccidia, etc) and TF. According to the website it will take 5-7 days for the results to come back but hoping it is sooner than that as I can't wait to find out what the problem is and treat it.

Lisa
X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Vet just called me. He is ringing round the labs to find the best option for testing (e.g. Langfords, Idexx, etc) and we will get checked for other stuff not just TF. He wants to get me best price and test. He will let me know tomorrow. He also wants to treat both Rio and Chilli as he agreed it is near impossible to stop the infection spreading so if I just treat one, it is likely that the other one will get it and so on.......I said I will just pool the samples from both Rio and Chilli and split in to two pots. I would prefer just paying for one test but then I would have the problem of would they give me the Ronidazole for both of them having only one positive (if it DOES turn out to be TF)?

I just want this all to be over (for Rio and me) - the house stinks, it can't be doing his tummy any good and I'm going through cat litter like nobody's business!!

As I say, I will update on here when I know more info.

Lisa
x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Right, we are going for the TF test for Rio. Sample in to vets on Monday. 2-7 days for results. If Rio has it, my vet is happy to treat both Rio and Chilli as both are showing the same signs (Chilli has the smelly diarrhoea and very occasional blood) and I cannot separate them for 1 month if I only treat Rio.

I will post a new thread once I have the results back.

Lisa
x