It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Guys,

A few may or may not have noticed the banner and link on my signature over the past month or so.

There has always been quite a high rate of talk of HCM on this forum - questions from experienced owners, breeders and new people entering the forum after reading about it and having queries. So I thought it would be ideal to introduce our UK based HCM awareness group to you all.

Bengal Breeders UK United (BBUKU).

The group is purely for HCM awareness and has been established now for just over a year. We have been trying to get the word out in a helpful and informative light - rather then scare mongering about this condition (which sadly can happen). We have already held two seminars - one in Scotland at the end of 2011 and one in Bristol earlier on last year (2012) - some of the forum members attended and learnt some valuable information.

We have also managed to engage some FAB approved cardiologists into talks regarding holding discounted clinics with them through BBUKU exclusively. We are extremely pleased and excited to let people know we now have two established clinics running in the UK. At the moment these are in Scotland & Bristol - and are open to ANYONE, in other words you do not have to be a breeder, or a Bengal owner - you can simply own a cat you are maybe concerned about in regards to HCM. Or you might be a breeder of another breed and would like to heart check your cat/s. Either way you are all welcome to take advantage of the clinics and the hugely discounted prices - which are completely exclusive to BBUKU and can ONLY be booked through us to receive the special price.

Its important to note that BBUKU purely negotiate, organise and confirm these clinics - we do not have any involvement in the screenings themselves, which are completely 100% confidential between the cardiologist and the cat owner. We also have no financial gain or benefit other then hoping to encourage more breeders to screen and more pet owners become aware of HCM.

All screenings are done by FAB approved cardiologists; so results can be submitted to FAB for inclusion on their registers that can be viewed by anyone. Whilst it is not essential for those screening to declare their results BBUKU are 100% behind the disclosure of a cats HCM status.

Do have a look at our website for breed specific information, HCM & Pk-def information, plus the latest clinic information, dates & prices AND lots of useful links.

If anyone has any questions at all please do contact BBUKU using the methods below - we are very approachable

Visit our website
http://www.bengalbreedersukunited.co.uk
Email us
Enquiries@Bengalbreedersukunited.co.uk

Thanks for reading :D

- Many thanks to BCF admin for permission to post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

CLINIC UPDATES

BBUKU are holding an HCM screening clinic on the :-
1st Feb 2013 at

Broadleys Veterinary Hospital, Stirling, Scotland.

We have 2 places remaining - please see website for more details.

£112.50 including VAT for each cat for a FAB approved screening

April 2013 (date to be confirmed) for HCM screening clinic at :-

Langford Veterinary Services, Langford, North Somerset

£118.00 per cat inclusive of VAT for a FAB approved screening

These prices and clinics are ONLY available for those booking through BBUKU.

See website for more details
http://www.bengalbreedersukunited.co.uk/clinics.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Question: I know it is recommended that cats are 1 year before scanning. Is 11 months too young?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No its not Lorraine, I know many who have done the first screening at under 1 year - including myself :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

*NEW BBUKU HCM Clinic at Langfords date released*

Our next screening clinic (after our February one) is confirmed for the 19th April 2013.
Price is once again a brilliant £118 inc VAT per cat.

Do take a look at the link for full details (plus there are some screening pics on the website too)
http://www.bengalbreedersukunited.co.uk

Contact us if you would like to book a place
Enquiries@bengalbreedersukunited.co.uk

....all very welcome (owners, breeders, any breed) Thanks for looking :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:
Question: I know it is recommended that cats are 1 year before scanning. Is 11 months too young?

The important thing is that it is done before breeding the cat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

bump

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it's great news that Bengal breeders are acting together on this issue..

Do you know if FABCATS is going to expand its list of approved screening clinics. Or what criteria they base the inclusion of some and not others?

Is there any work being done to get more clinics working with FAB. I didn't know you needed to go to an approved clinic before I contacted them to be added to the list and was told my clinic was not on their list. still I know for the follow up this year.

Be good to get a bigger spread across the country.

Taz, Jasmin and Moshi, never forgotten, always loved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

jules wrote:
I think it's great news that Bengal breeders are acting together on this issue..

Do you know if FABCATS is going to expand its list of approved screening clinics. Or what criteria they base the inclusion of some and not others?

Thanks Jules :)

As far as I am aware from my own knowledge its the individual Cardio themselves that are either FAB approved or not - not the practise/clinic.

A Cardio can either be Certified or they can be a Diplomat (as well).

These are two different levels of qualification. The Diplomat due to the level of training and experience they would have to gain to obtain this particular qualification would get automatic inclusion to the FAB scheme - they do however still have to apply manually for it.

A Certified Cardio to be included in the FAB scheme would need to prove experience by various methods as well as practical and written examinations.

Therefore it is not down to FAB to expand the list - its up to the Cardio themselves to apply to be FAB approved.

The above is also in answer to your second question.

I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh yes I see on the website it's the cardio not the clinic. Thanks.

I was wondering why there is a negative and an equivacol list but not a positive one? That seems odd.

Taz, Jasmin and Moshi, never forgotten, always loved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

jules wrote:

I was wondering why there is a negative and an equivacol list but not a positive one? That seems odd.

Yes, I had queried this one previously - on this forum in fact - and was told it was purely because no one has submitted a FAB approved positive screening.