[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal Pees over Top of Litter Pan?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 am 
Bengal Cat

My male Bengal is about a year and a half old and from time to time he ends up peeing over the top of the litter pan during the process. In the initial stage he squats down low and begins to pee but as the process continues, he begins to steadily raise his rear end and as he concludes his business, his rear end has risen high enough so that the latter stage of his peeing process ends up going over the top or edge of the litter pan and on to the floor. This doesn't happen every time he pees mind you, maybe once or twice every two days. Does anyone else have a Bengal cat that performs in the same manner when it's time to pee?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:41 am 
Bengal Cat

I should have mentioned that the height of the sides of the litter box/pan I have at the moment is exactly ten inches high. This pan is the third pan I've purchased, each one higher than the other. This current litter box is the highest one carried by Pet Smart. If anyone can recommend a place where I can purchase a littler box with sides higher than ten inches, I would appreciate the information. The box has to be an open style, no lid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just an idea if there are no other suggestions but have you thought about using one of those plastic storage boxes? Some of those have quite high sides.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i think you need to buy wider box , no necessarily higher .
Storage box is a good idea. I switched all mine to storage boxes long time ago

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My boys have peed like this their whole lives. We used to use 60 gallon rubbermaid bins with our litter boxes inside them, but it just got gross. Our ONLY solution has been the Nature's Miracle high-sided corner box with a lid. We still have to attach plastic fins over the inside openings where the latches close. I swear they've got the genes of a teenage graffiti artist some days. We tried everything. I clean it about once a month fully, and wipe down the inside of the hood weekly. And scoop at least daily, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've got a hooded litter box - that might assist you too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there. My rescue bengal boy pees like this too. He starts low but finishes standing. Jackson galaxy calls it elevator butt!!!!!! I had high sides storage boxes but these were not enough. Some people recommend a plastic rubbish bin with hole in the side but I bought covered boxes. They are huge but the most important thing is to make sure that the top of the inside overlaps the bottom not the other way around as the pee will just run along the join. The one I got is the Ferplast maxi bella toilet home. The lid overlaps the bottom half by probably only 4 or 5mm but its enough to keep the pee in!!!! I live in the UK so not sure where you are or what cat trays are available to you? I also clean the tray twice a day and wipe the inside of the lid with odour free antibac wipes at the same time. Sorry to be graphic but you can see where it has sprayed inside the lid and you would not believe the area it splashes.....yuck!!!!! I know with covered boxes that the smell can put off a cat so I am so careful to wipe the pee as I have had toiletting problems with my rescue and I do not want to give the little toad any excuses at all to use my carpet instead of the tray!!!!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Has anyone tried the clevercat top entry box? Its about £40 but looks good if you can get your cat to use it. My breeder uses them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a siamese that did that. After a few weeks I realized I had to get a hooded box or risk ruining the wall and tile under her box. I also would turn the litter box liner up around the rim in case it leaked out the seam. She would jump into the box and walk out and balance her back feet on the edge with her front paws on the floor to go. It was pretty funny but it worked for her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:11 pm 
Bengal Cat

My cat Zeke, has elevator butt and I discovered back in 2009 the very best fix was to buy BIG storage bins with sides at least 18" high. I fill them with 6-8" of Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract (I have the 30 lb bags delivered by Amazon).

I have 3 cats and 6 of these huge bins in my house and they're quite satisfactory for elevator butt.

However, funny thing happened when I was emptying the bin to clean it. I poured the leftover litter into an old, clear file box (18x14x10) and took the large bin outside to clean and disinfect.

When I returned, there was Zeke, peeing happily in the file box! He was sitting butt solidly down (no elevator butt). His tail was relaxed, over the edge of the box and down toward the carpet. I was amazed, so I thought I'd leave that little box right in the middle of my bedroom so I could observe what he does.

Soon, all three cats were using it as their preference. Occasionally, they will go to other boxes to poop, but the little file box became their go to box. They've been using as their preferred litter pan for, I think, almost a year.

Watching Zeke, seems he doesn't like his tail bent upward as he scratches around or as he pees. He wants freedom of his tail, and control. As said above, he has to raise it a bit, (like we would do over the arm of a sofa or a cushion) but then, he just relaxes it down. Must be the same with the other cats too, but it's Zeke I observe.

Yesterday, I finally replaced all the huge bins and regained a whole lotta real estate in my small house.

If anyone else with elevator butt cat is willing to try this, I'd love to hear the result!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a giant hooded litter box next to an open very large storage bin. They pee in the storage bin and mostly poop in the hooded box.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

phineasboggs - that is an interesting turn of events. Oscar has elevator butt and I use giant hooded boxes. He squats then gradually stands up and the pee usually splashes right up to the top. Interestingly when we had normal trays they were always in a corner by a wall and of course he peed over the edge. So I wonder whether it was the fact he does not like his tail bent up either? I really think you could have hit the nail on the head! I am a beauty therapist and about six months ago my foot spa which is rectangular and tiny compared to a litter tray was in the middle of my salon floor..........unattended!!! Now my salon is a cat free zone....unless the little monster sneaks in. Anyway, I came back in and he had peed in the foot spa, which was tiny, had no litter in. He had not peed over the edge. He did however have pee soaked paws and walked back out over my carpet! :rolleyes:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Boy, a year old topic has been resurrected!!! Raiden does this occasionally. He is a "marking" male, always outdoors, but sometimes he likes to raise his butt up when peeing in the litter box. I have an open box and usually the tub of cat litter sits at the end. I put paper towels under it (the litter box sits on a plastic trash bag) and so everything gets contained. It happens once every few weeks.