It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:11 am
Posts: 1
I’m sooo frustrated with my newly adopted Bengal kitty for over 2 years. She will turn a year old, and when I got her she had a complete vet check; coming back healthy. But she pees on all my carpets and pillows. She did this some when I first got her, but figured she was stressed out. She uses her cat box great, minus the times she feels she needs to pee elsewhere!

I decided that she was going to be an outside/inside cat until we found her crossing a busier road! She has all the back doors with acres of pastures, and some homes, but no she has to jump my fence and go to the front of the house and cross the road!
I don’t know what to do? She is an awesome cat, but I can’t have one that pees everywhere. I’m renting my house, and my landlord would be beyond mad if he knew she’s peeing.

I had my carpets cleaned, tried using this really expensive enzyme type liquid, baking powder to neutralize the odor. I was gone this whole weekend, and when I came back my house (Brand new when I moved it) reeked of cat pee… HELP?

Many thanks
Melissa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 am 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 am
Posts: 35
A cat that pees in the house may do so because of a medical or behavioral reason, or maybe it's something else. Never rub a cat's nose in its urine or feces, never yell at the cat or physically drag it to the litter box. and keep the litter box separate from where the cat eats or drinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 am
Posts: 24
jakejhonson44 wrote:
A cat that pees in the house may do so because of a medical or behavioral reason, or maybe it's something else. Never rub a cat's nose in its urine or feces, never yell at the cat or physically drag it to the litter box. and keep the litter box separate from where the cat eats or drinks.


I agree with this. The habit of peeing elsewhere aside from the litter box can be caused by medical issues or behavioral factors like being declawed. It's better to check with her/his vet if it's caused by a medical issue or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:49 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8747
Welcome to the forum, Melissa. Know that this issue is the #1 complaint of cat owners. You can spend time googling this and see all the solutions for other people. But, you need to make sure there is not a urinary tract infection going on or crystals in the urine that can be painful when she pees and she associates that pain with going in the litter box.

If you have had your cat checked out by a vet and there are no health issues, then this becomes behavioral. You say she uses the litter box. Since she is using the carpet, this does appear to be peeing rather than spraying. My suggestion is to add more litter boxes. Especially in the area is she using. The type of litter box and the type of litter can contribute to not wanting to use a certain litter box.

As for cleaning the carpet -- yes, you're getting the carpet clean, but the padding and subfloor underneath has been saturated and that smell is NOT going to go away until everything has been pulled up, thrown out and any subfloor primed with a sealer on the stain (concrete or wood). And a cat will go back to that same location over and over again as long as the odor is still there. If you can smell it, it is quite pungent to the cat.

Now, another issue. You said you were gone all weekend. I guess you left your kitty home alone? Many cats can suffer from separation anxiety. Your kitty was probably bored to death while you were gone with no human interaction.

It is always best to keep your kitty indoors. They somehow have no idea of the dangers that lurk for them in the outdoor world. I read every day of cats being hit by cars and laying dead on the side of the road. And, cats have their own ideas of where they want to go and it's not where you want them to go. You can always try training your kitty to walk on a harness and leash (which is what I've done and my bengal gets two walks a day).

I will reiterate that you may need to add a couple more litter boxes. If you see she is about to pee somewhere else, pick her up and put her IN the litter box. This issue will not solve itself without some intervention from you. I know how frustrating this is for you, but this is not your kitty's fault. They are usually trying to tell you something isn't quite right and you just have to figure out what that is. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline
Bengal Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm
Posts: 28
You also might want to look into catifying your home more. Not sure how much stuff you have but if she has no medical issue and it is determined to be behavior problem making the house feel more comfortable to her can sometimes help. This can be done with cat trees, shelves up high to climb, tunnels to climb through and lots of 1:1 play time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 4333
Location: Portland Oregon, USA
Melissa89 wrote:
I’m sooo frustrated with my newly adopted Bengal kitty for over 2 years. She will turn a year old, and when I got her she had a complete vet check; coming back healthy.


So, some questions:

1. I'm lost, can you clarify this please? How long have you had her, and how old is she now? How old was she when you got her? Also, is she spayed?

2. "Complete vet check" means what? The usual introductory visit when they check lungs, eyes, weigh your cat, and give some shots? Have you gone back and had a checkup and discussion about her problem since then? Allowing the vet to check for some things that might be related to that?


Comments:

1. It's really easy to fall into the trap of getting upset and frustrated, but you need to keep a few things in mind:
  • Your kitty is much more frustrated than you about the situation
  • Every time you show anger, or frustration, it makes the problem worse, compounding whatever problem she has now with now fear and mistrust towards you.

2. There is some sleuthing that you should be doing to try to figure out what you're dealing with. It's usually one of three reasons why a cat goes outside the litterbox:
  • litterbox avoidance - she associated something really bad (pain, illness, scary noises, a bad smell etc) with the litterbox, so she no longer wants to use it.
  • The litterbox is deemed to be in an un-suitable state at the time she needs to go. It's either too far away, inaccessible, too dirty, too noisy, to smelly, wrong litter, too small of a box, or in some other way deemed unsuitable
  • Territorial insecurity. She's not peeing to relieve herself, she's instead marking parts of the house because she feels like another person, or pet, or outside animal is infringing on her territory.

3. The easy thing to do would be to make sure it's not the litterbox. Buy more letterboxes, and put the new ones in the spots where she is going inappropriately. Make sure to keep the boxes immaculately clean, but not smelly with perfume or scented litter. Also make sure that there are multiple boxes. Many cats don't like to poo and pee in the same box. Make sure the boxes are large enough for her too. I usually buy the biggest boxes I can find, most are way too small. Some cats don't like hooded boxes, as they are "trapped" with no "escape route" when in there. The location is important too. A location that is convenient for you, may not be ok with your cat. You may need to experiment with that.

One thing you can always do is bring in a cat behaviorist. I'm sure this has got to be the #1 issue that they face, so they should be able to help you. Banishing the cat from your house is not ok though as a solution. That just demonstrates your lack of commitment and unwillingness to play your role as cat guardian to do what it takes to solve it. If you had a kid that had this sort of problem, you'd not be throwing them out onto the Street I'm going to assume.

_________________
The little monsters 3
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 am
Posts: 11
jakejhonson44 wrote:
A cat that pees in the house may do so because of a medical or behavioral reason, or maybe it's something else. Never rub a cat's nose in its urine or feces, never yell at the cat or physically drag it to the litter box. and keep the litter box separate from where the cat eats or drinks.


Good advice from you Jake! Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:10 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 am
Posts: 6
Sherry wrote:
I will reiterate that you may need to add a couple more litter boxes. If you see she is about to pee somewhere else, pick her up and put her IN the litter box. This issue will not solve itself without some intervention from you. I know how frustrating this is for you, but this is not your kitty's fault. They are usually trying to tell you something isn't quite right and you just have to figure out what that is. Good luck.


I definitely agree with Sherry. Putting additional litter boxes would greatly help and keeping them indoors too. You can have them micro chipped or attach some of your contact info on them just in case.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 am
Posts: 35
laurenholloway wrote:
jakejhonson44 wrote:
A cat that pees in the house may do so because of a medical or behavioral reason, or maybe it's something else. Never rub a cat's nose in its urine or feces, never yell at the cat or physically drag it to the litter box. and keep the litter box separate from where the cat eats or drinks.


I agree with this. The habit of peeing elsewhere aside from the litter box can be caused by medical issues or behavioral factors like being declawed. It's better to check with her/his vet if it's caused by a medical issue or not.


Exactly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 am
Posts: 24
So how's your cat now? Is she still peeing on your couch?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8747
We do like updates so we can see how things are improving or not improving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:17 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 am
Posts: 6
I've been reading the replies here. We'd be glad to hear some updates on your cat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 am 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 am
Posts: 35
Any updates here?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 am 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:39 am
Posts: 35
Still no updates here? Is your cat improving or what?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 am 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 am
Posts: 24
Hmmm still no updates here?I guess your problem has been solved already.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey