[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Dental Care
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dental Care
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me insight on their dental care in general. How often, if at all do you clean their teeth/ what brand do you use.

I also am curious when all of their teeth are supposed to grow in?? I don't see the little front ones yet, & he's about 11 months old.

Thanks for your input in advance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Dental Care
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can only speak from the experience of one Bengal cat.
Quasar had all of his adult teeth when we got him, at 13 weeks of age.
I have never done any dental care for Quasar. He is almost 6 years old and has a wonderful set of teeth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've been on this forum for 7 years now, and this question has been asked many times. I don't recall anyone ever saying that they successfully brush their bengal's teeth. Now that isn't saying that it wouldn't be beneficial if you could do that! Just that I haven't encountered anyone that actually does.
My vet reads me the riot act every time I go in, and I've spent a king's ransom on dental cleanings (and tooth extractions) for my cats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have no problem brushing the teeth of my 2, I have done Pearl from the day I had her so she isn't too bad but Magic will have it done but he doesn't like it much but I do it just the same.
I bought a babies tiny toothbrush and a cat toothpaste it not an easy job but I start with the front teeth and then open the mouth and quickly do the back ones which is helped you Magic chewing on the toothbrush.

The front teeth are very tiny and should already be there at an early age and all of the teeth will be there by the time you get a kitten at 12 weeks, I noticed at around 6 months the adult set on fangs growing next to the original then the baby ones fall out leaving the adult fangs.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They sell toothbrushes and toothpaste for cats. And the vet does recommend trying to brush their teeth. Start early and they get used to it. There are YouTube videos of cats who LOVE having their teeth brushed. They do make cat treats that help clear the tartar from the teeth. Other than that, you take your cat to the vet annually and the vet lets you know when the teeth need to be cleaned. My bengal has had his teeth cleaned twice now (his previous owner never had them done). I just had my DSH's teeth cleaned this week. Humans have to see a dentist, so it's only natural that cats and dogs need dental care as well.

Having teeth cleaned is not cheap. All cats need anesthesia and most vets encourage fluids. A full mouth x-ray should be done so they can get a clear view of what is going on. And I included blood work just to check that everything is going on. It was nearly $300 with no extractions needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I brush their teeth every morning with a finger cot toothbrush, and Diablo and Star love it! I started when they were very young, so they are used to it. I also brush their beautiful coats on a daily basis.

I do my best to keep them as happy and healthy as possible, including paying close attention to their diet! I have opted to go raw and it is working for us!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Genetics play a big part on your cats teeth. Some cats can go their whole lives with beautiful teeth and no issues. Most need some sort of care or cleaning every so often and others are prone to tartar build up and need a lot more care. My vet told me it has to due with the saliva.

Most of my cats got 1 to 2 cleanings on their life. One particular cat had no issues her entire 12 years and her teeth stayed beautiful somehow. My current kitten gets hers brushed a few times a week as she already had significant build up at 6 months and her first cleaning at 9 months. Trying to avoid the stress and huge bill if she needed a cleaning every 6 months!

I buy a special cat/dog toothpaste that has enzymes in it to break down tartar. Do not use human stuff as it is toxic to pets. My cat isn't thrilled about it but she will tolerate a short brushing... More so if she is sleepy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gee, Raiden has a cleaning every other year -- and has no teeth! Just the fangs. My husband has the most incredible teeth ever -- I don't think he has had a cleaning in years. I have to go every four months due to the heavy tartar build up in my mouth. And I hate going to the dentist!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yep, Sherri, I know all about people who hate the dentist! I have been working in the field for over 30 years, so that is why I am very dental/medical conscious!

Although I floss three times/day, I too have alot of plaque/tartar build-up and need cleanings every 3 -4 months. I have a very acidic saliva. So, alot has to do with genetics and pure luck! (Over the years, my perseverance has paid off...used to be that two weeks later, the tartar would start to appear!) Then, there are patients like your hubby, who do nothing and have beautiful smiles! Go figure!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have just ordered a new toothpaste for my pair it's called logic oral hygiene gel it helps to breaks down the tartar on their teeth without brushing, you can either just rub it on their gums or just get them to lick it off your finger or put it on their paw to lick off, it comes with a good review

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let us know how it works, Clare. I'm going to try and keep the kitties teeth cleaner. It's horrible that they have to undergo anesthesia for a cleaning an the cost is $300. I'm giving them dental treats but if there is something else I can try, I'll do it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello - New to the forum, but am enjoying going through the posts to learn more about others' experience with this breed! I know this post is a few months old, but thought I would add my own experience in case it is still helpful to others. My cats eat a wet canned food diet mostly, which is great health-wise for everything except clean teeth!

I have 2 bengals and have no problems brushing both their teeth. I aim to do it once every second day, but sometimes the interval is longer. I chose 2 day intervals to give my cats a break on some days and because apparently plaque will harden into tartar starting on the 3rd day. I figure it's better to clear it off before it hardens on the teeth.

I use children's tooth brushes. I find finger brushes are too big for cat mouths (they're like sausage fingers!) It's too hard to reach the back molars with them, and those back teeth are always where most of the gunk builds up.

I use CET toothpaste sold at my local vet's office because it seems to be the most flavourful. One of my cats is so in love with the flavour of CET toothpaste that I actually use it as a treat for vet exams to keep him from getting wiggly. Vets are always amused by this :)

I wouldn't say that my cats love having their teeth brushed, but liking the toothpaste makes them easier to work with for sure. I started them both young, so they're used to it. They will hide if they expect that I am going to brush their teeth, so I usually aim to do it quickly when they are sleeping. 30 seconds is all it takes for me to go around the outside twice with a toothbrush (tongues will naturally clean the inside, so you don't need to worry about the interior). Every time they go for their yearly vets are always surprised by how clean/healthy their teeth and gums are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 am 
Bengal Kitten