[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Rabies Vacine not Effective for Bengals?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Today I took my 2 ½ year old Bengal cat to her vet for her yearly checkup. He told me that because she is a Bengal the regulations in North Carolina now require that if she bites anyone she must be quarantined or euthanized. He said that this is because of the fear that the feline rabies vaccine does not work on exotic hybrids. This must be something new, because he vaccinated her a year ago and didn’t say anything about this. I am especially concerned because she does bite me when overstimulated. Have you heard anything about this? If she does bite someone other than me and they seek medical attention, do I have any recourse? :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:21 pm 
Bengal Cat

I wouldn't worry about being bitten unless the teeth puncture your skin.
Since a Bengal cat is at least 4 generations away from the original Asian leopard cat - domestic cat cross, I would have thought the feline rabies vaccine should work just as well on Bengals as other domestic cats.
Also if the cat vaccine is like the human vaccine then it contains the inactivated rabies virus or an antigen from this virus. Although different solutions and preservatives might be used for different species, the virus is the same across all species, so in theory the one vaccine should work on every species?
I'm glad we don't have rabies in New Zealand, this kind of thing is such a pain. I hope they don't use this as an excuse to put down Bengal cats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know how much truth their is to that. The rabbies vaccination isn't programmed for a certain species. Dogs and cats gets the same vaccine so logic would tell you that it's appropriate for dogs and cats. That's like saying it will work on a Great Dane but not a husky because huskies are closer related to wolves. Doesn't make any sense to me. I understand that EG cats of any kind are even more sensitive to vaccinations and can have reactions to them but I have never heard that a bengal ie F4 or later wouldn't benefit from a rabbits vaccine. In my state it's mandatory for any pet to have it done, even if it is a wild animal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Now I am concerned. I just copied this from Virginia guideline for rabies control.
5. Hybrids (e.g. wolf hybrids, coydogs, Savannah or Bengal cats)
Euthanasia of the hybrid animal and rabies testing is the safest course of action when such animals bite humans.

It clearly states that there is no approved vaccine for these "hybrid animals" and the vet can use an alternative vaccine for them.
I don't get that. I am sure BB has less than 5% ALC blood. Is she still a wild animal?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's interesting. I'll have to ask our vet this afternoon when I take Diesel in.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you all for your replies. I wish something could be done by a Bengal group to influence the states of NC and VA to reconsider their policies re Bengals. It doesn't make sense, as most Bengals are at least F4's. If this policy is in practice in many of the states in the US, I would think that Bengals would be a lot less popular here. Frankly, if I had known this before I got my Bengal, I wouldn't have gotten one. I have taken her to the same vet for two years, and this is the first time he mentioned it. I love my Sasha Cat, and would never have her euthanized without a protest, but the worry just isn't worth it. As I have said in my first post, she has bitten me, but I'm not worried and would never report it. But there's the off-chance that she would bite someone else, if she were handled against her wishes. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think they would put a cat to sleep because of it. Tennessee law has the same rules with bengals( little did I know) I actually emailed a few breeders I know regarding the issue. Two of which responded to me stating that they are in the process of banning all hybrid cats including but not limited to : Savannah cats, Bengal cats, Pixie Bob cats, and Caracats. One of the breeders sent me a a document from the Tennessee wildlife control regarding bengals or hybrid cats. Apparently in TN since bob cats are EVERYWHERE and mate with domestic cats more often than before, they are getting concerned the rabies virus will mutate because of it being introduced to "new species" if this were to happen it would make ALL rabies vaccinations useless. It also states on there,ownership or breeding of said animal could be punishable by up to one year imprisonment and $100,000 fine. I don't know when these "laws" will be passed but I will straight up move before I will live without my girl! I told my husband about it last night and he agreed. He can transfer to 15 different states with his job and the company will pay for the move. I will transfer 15 times if need be!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, bkilgore. I'm surprised that the TN officials would say that domestic cats mate with bobcats. There are a lot of feral domestic cats and bobcats here in eastern NC, and I have never heard of cross-breeding. Also, I just goggled it and didn't find any authenticated cases in the US. But there have been any number of crosses between dogs and coyotes (and wolves) for ages, and the canine rabies vaccine hasn't mutated. I think that the officials, both in TN and NC have manufactured a problem that doesn't exist. Unfortunately, I can't change their regulations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Domestics and Bob cats do mate. There are a few breeders here that even breed bob cats to domestics to create "Pixie-bob" cats. Now what that has to do with rabies I have no clue. I actually had a cat growing up that was a naturally occurring bob cat hybrid. She was as wild as they come but she came to the barn to eat every night.
I also think it has a lot to do with the game and wildlife officials here. I don't see rabies mutating, it hasn't yet, or if it has we didn't know about it. They actually have a vaccine for wild animals such as coyotes, foxes, and raccoon. So why on earth couldn't they just come up with a vaccine for hybrid cats/dogs? A lot of places/ cities have banned hybrid cats for one reason or another. I know here in TN we have a lot of bengal and Savannah breeders, some of which I believe could end up in the wrong hands. People are scared of the unknown and I think that's all it boils down to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's really interesting Elaine. I have been told all my life bob cats breed with domestics. My dad used to rehabilitate wildlife and he raised several animals. I have no idea how many litters of "bobcat" kitten he had to turn down.
I am thinking that's a good thing! We would probably be overrun with them if they did breed "all the time" as I have been told!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Elaine, that's about what I read online, too.

My main concern and reason for posting was the hope that I might reach someone who is invested enough in Bengals (either financially or emotionally) to advocate for changes in the state regulations concerning rabies vaccine ineffectiveness in Bengals. I think I'll contact the veterinary school at NC State University. Maybe someone there, like a student, might be interested in taking it on as a project. As I mentioned, Sasha Cat has been known to bite, but only very rarely and so far only me. I love her dearly and don't want to ever have to have her euthanized because she happens to bite someone else.