It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have never been to a cat show or shown one, I did show my Highland Pony back in the UK very successfully. But this is a whole new ball game.

I am taking Sakura to her first show the first weekend of February. Because she is a rescue Bengal and has absolutely nothing to prove she is a Bengal she will be entered purely as a household pet of mixed breed.

I was so confused about it all I ended up talking to a nice lady from the cat club about what to do. Bengals have to be registered to even enter the show hall but seen as I have no papers for Sakura and cannot prove she is a Bengal although they saw the photo and said.. yep.. this lady's cats are both Bengals alright.. I just say she is mixed breed.

I think she will wow the judges. But then I am biased. What say you Ren and Suntouched? Please be kind and wish me luck.

Last edited by Shantra on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Naaa don't bother...she's so ugly the judges will reject her!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Honoustly though hunny I think that's fantastic! You'll have a really fun day & I hope Sakura revels in all the attention. Household pet classes are completely different from the pedigree ones so I'm not completely sure what they involve but Sakura is such a beautiful girl that she will turn heads no matter what.
One thing I have found showing here & I'm sure it will be the same there, is that people are very friendly & willing to guide newcomers along at the shows so I'm sure you'll have plenty of help of what to do & when.
I can't wait to hear all about it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Trust you Ren LOL. They seemed very nice, checked up on all the rules for me and gave me a name to put in my Benching Request so I can be paired up with a club member who just happens to be showing her Bengals.. hehe. Gave me a whole big list of things to take. So here is my list so far:

2 sheets as cage covers
Some kind of peg or clip to hold them up as they have to be inside and out
Sakura's bed
Food and Dishes
Brush
Treats (I added that)
Towels - how many?

The lady also said it helps if she likes to play with toys - does that mean I take Da Bird and show just how fast and acrobatically aerobic this kitty is? Umm doubt that huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hehe not much room in her pen for Dabird! :lol:
Maybe something to flip around in the pen like a toy mousey or a stuffed toy of some sort though.
Also, a little spray bottle of pet-safe discinfectant & some kitchen roll to give the pen a good wipe down before you put any of her things in there.
I also take some of those little plastic zip ties in case the sides of the pen aren't secure enough...prevents cats from playing footsies with their neighbours :wink:
Food for you & for her, you may not get much time to get away from the hall to grab something. Water & litter of course.
A pen to mark up your results in your catalogue & your camera! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good luck with the show Shantra..... i hope the judges love Sakura as much as we all do hun...

miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I cannot wait to hear how you get on....I sometimes do dog showing and cats sound more complicated...although would love to give it a go...

Ive search it in the past on you tube...do you literally just get the cat ready etc and then watch whilst the judge goes over it etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lacemoat, that's pretty much it fot the GCCF ones in the UK, but the TICA ones are different, you have to take your cat to each ring & place it in a pen behind the judge, wait while the class is judged & then you take your cat back to your pen. This happens for however many judges/classes there are, usually around 6 per day, & again if you are lucky enough to have got into a final.
It can be lots of running back & forth, cat in hand, keeping an eye on the judges' areas to see if your class is due for judging...quite hectic at times but great fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Take a small chair with you! I mean, if you are not sure there are enough seats on the show hall.

I am sure you both do well! And don´t forget your camera, we want to see pictures too :)

Katja - Humble servant of Hannibal, Attila, Lara and Bertha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh absolutely and she is entered!!!! Entered for both days and too late to back out now. But maybe you can explain something to me Ren. I have to be there at some ungodly hour on a weekend of 7 something.. judging starts at 8:30. I know here are 8 rings and 4 judges. Now when I was showing my pony I got the show schedule and I picked out his classes and entered. So what on earth are we going to be doing for 2 days??? And btw it is ACFA which stands for American Cat Fanciers Association.

The way I found out about it is that our volunteers from the shelter will be there cleaning cages between competitors in exchange for a donation to our shelter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I also want to know how the judges are going to handle Sakura. I have been trying to find video or something. I would like to get her used to it over the next week so that it doesn't throw her on the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is so exciting Shantra, i am sooooooooo excited for you and Sakura...

I dont know anything about showing and handling cats whilst showing, so i am of no help there hun... But i sooooooo want Darling Sakura to do well and for the judges to see how gorgeous she is,

What will they judge her on? As if its a Bengal show, they are judged on type, coat, pattern etc in the Bengal category, thats right isnt it??

If they judge Sakura on sheer beauty she will most definitely win...

miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh and.. do I have to bath Sakura the day before the show? I have never bathed her and she looks clean to me although I will groom her of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya, I have no idea how the ACFA shows work :?
I don't bathe mine, I tried once & the coat was no different, if anything it didn't look or feel as good as usual so I haven't done it since. Less stress for the cats & me too LOL :wink:
The judge will probably put her on a table in a standing position, run hands along her body to feel muscle tone, down the length of the tail to check for tail faults, they may lift her gently in an upright position so that the hind legs are on the table to see if she is cow-hocked. They will check her teeth & inside her ears. Sometimes they hold under the armpits & belly to lift them & see the pattern in a stretched position...but this is all with pedigree Bengals. I don't think ACFA even recosnise them do they? So their methods may be very different & with household pets there is no standard to adhere to, so they will be looking for different things, maybe alertness, sparkly eyes, sweet temperament, nice glossy coat etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you Ren and Miki!! I won't bathe Sakura then, I don't see the point in putting her through that, but I will do some work on handling. She is a good girl but can get a little impatient, but I did find some video and see what goes on and it doesn't take very long AND she gets to play with a toy... she will love that!

They do recognise the Bengal and ALL Bengals must be registered to even enter the show hall. However, as Sakura has no papers at all we are entering her as a Household Pet mixed breed even though she is totally obviously a Bengal.

The following is copied from the ACFA site about criteria for HHP.

Quote:
HHP's are cats which are more than 8 months old and have been neutered or spayed. They do NOT necessarily meet the standards for a particular breed and ARE NOT judged according to breed standards. Instead, they are evaluated according to health, cleanliness and "purr-sonality."

I am wondering how on earth I will be able to cart all this stuff into the show hall, handle putting up the curtains AND Sakura cos I know my OH won't be going anywhere at 7:30 on a weekend morning!

Any particular grooming tips for a marble coat? I know a truly good coat comes from the inside to out but I would also use products on my Highlands coat that would really show it off at it's best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You'll get into the swing of it :wink:
You get there early so that you have time to set up before judging starts & then you're ready to go. There can be a bit of waiting around between judgings, depending on how your classes fall in the schedule. That gives you time to spend with Saki, to have a nosey at the other cats & maybe make some new show friends :D
I use a fine tooth comb to just remove any loose hairs & then give a wipe over with a soft chamois leather...it really brings out the shine in the coat. Give her a wipe over with it daily to bring the shine out between now & the show. Remember to clip front & back claws a couple of days before the show, to give them time to round off nicely too.