It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:21 pm 
Is it difficult to show or expensive? I really really wnat to go to a show but haven't been able to yet. When is the next one at Swanley? Glitterglam says that my boy has no major faults and to have a go and see. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have a look on the TICA site which gives you a good guide to showing with them. It's not difficult to do and is a great social day. You'll find that the GCCF and TICA vary hugely, both in the format of their shows and what they seem to be looking for at the time! Depends which board your cat is registered with.

Briefly (very briefly lol) TICA shows are around £40 for one day, £79 for two, per cat. Some clubs offer discounts if you enter early. Each show day usually consists of six rings so in effect you have six chances to win Best of Breed. You handle your own cat/s taking them in and out of each ring and you watch all the judging. It's very relaxed and good fun, shows are often themed and there are prizes for the best decorated pens etc.

GCCF shows are around £27 per cat which includes an open class in which if you are placed 1st and the judges feel the cat to be good enough, you can get a Challenge Certificate which counts towards a title, and 3 miscellaneous classes. You can see the schedules online for most fo the cat clubs so can se what classes there are to be entered. You can then enter additional classes for about £3/3.50 per class. In these shows your cat goes into a pen in which it stays all day. You must leave the judging hall whilst the open classes are judged, from around 10:00 to 12:30, and then can return while the rest of the classes are judged i the afternoon. Some GCCF shows are breed specific, others all breed.

That help at all? There's a lot more to it than that but it sort of sums it up :D

If you like the sound of showing Kimberley definitely enter one or two. If you get on well it's great, if not it's still a good day out and you get to meet lots of people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you will enjoy showing Kimberly, it's a great day out, There will be plenty of people help you learn the ropes!!! we had loads of help at our first TICA show and really enjoy them now!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 am 
Thank you Willowfrost and Westie. Do they have to be neutured before their first show and at what age does the kitten have to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kittens are 14 weeks to 9 months old with the GCCF, 4 calendar months to 8 calendar months with TICA. They don't need to be neutered as kittens, just if you go on to show him as an a adult you need to get him into the neuter classes rather than the entire ones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm 
Thank you for that. I was planning on getting him fixed at 16 weeks, that gives him three weeks to settle in but it depends on how Oscar is with him as well because I want everything to be truely settled before I get his pom poms removed.