It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Show Terminology
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll go to a cat show one day. Not sure OH will owing to her allergies, but what I wanted to know was what all the terminology means. Things like open firsts, and rings and catagories etc etc.

If I wanted to show Victor as a seven month old neutered kitten, what would he be under? Is there an idiot guide anywhere for the layman to understand?

We're on Facebook! www.facebook.com/jupiter.victor

Visit the Jupiter and Victor TV Channel!
www.justin.tv/jupitervictor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Lance

Yes showing can be confusing :D Victor is registered with TICA and up until 8 months old would be shown as a kitten, after this he can be shown as an adult alter.

TICA and GCCF do differ greatly. Here is some links with information about showing with TICA.

http://www.tica-uk.org.uk/html/how_to_show.html

http://vanadis.cnc.net/NewExh2.htm

Of course we are more than happy to help in anyway we can :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:00 am 
The Real Boss

Hi lnt999,

Open classes are the main classes at GCCF shows. There are plenty of other side classes but if you want to gain a title for your adult cat then you need to win your Open class and hopefully gain a CC (for entire adult cats) or a PC (for altered adult cats). At a GCCF show there will be an Open class for each combination of Colour, Pattern, Breed, Sex & 'category' of cat (category being Kitten/Cat/Alter).

With GCCF an exhibit is judged as a kitten if it is between the ages of 14wks - 9months on the day of the show. Once it is 9 months old, if it has been altered (spayed or neutered) it is judged as an alter, if it hasn't been altered it is judged as a cat.

So, if Victor attended a GCCF show at 7 months old he would be judged in the following Open class:

Colour: Blue eyed snow
Pattern: Spotted
Bread: Bengal
Category: Kitten
Sex: Male

If he won his Open class he would then be judged against the winner of the female equivalent Open class to win Best of Breed.

TICA shows are different again. TICA don't differentiate between sex and an exhibit is classed as a kitten from 4 - 8 months. The classes start off similar (Colour/Division/Breed/Category) but then there's a pyramid process where the winners of the Colour class compete against other Colours in their Division to win the Division class. The winners of the Division class compete against other Divisions in their Breed to win Best of Breed.

Being based in the Northwest of England you'd probably be better off starting with the GCCF shows as there are quite a few local ones (you would need to check with Linda to see if Victor is GCCF registered). There are actually two very local ones in March that you could go and have a look at.

Lancashire Cat Club (http://www.lancashirecatclub.org.uk/)
Sat 14 March 09
Robin Park Sports Centre,
Loire Drive,
Newtown,
Wigan,
Lancashire,
WN5 0UH

Preston & Blackpool Cat Club (http://www.prestonandblackpoolcatclub.co.uk/shows.htm)
Sat 28 March 09
Preston College,
St Vincents Road,
Fulwood,
Preston,
Lancs.
PR2 8UR

You won't be able to enter Victor into either of these shows as entries have now closed but you and your OH will be able to visit any time after 1pm as spectators. Entry will cost around £2 ea and if you want to buy a catalogue it will cost you about £4.50. If you're thinking about showing it really would be a good idea to pop along to see what goes on. You would also be able to pick-up any showing equipment you will need in preparation for Victor’s first show.

If you decided you wanted to enter Victor into a show, I’d suggest the Manchester & District (http://www.manchesteranddistrictcatclub.co.uk/). Entries close on 30 March and the show it self will be held on 2 May.

Hope that helps,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That was very informative Heidi. I think I will be contacting Sue (Whaface) to get some help filling my form in.

I have just printed out the forms for our first show to be held in June. Lance, make sure you save a couple of hours just to go through the paperwork :oops: There is an awful lot of information on them.

Have you thought about showing Jupiter, or do they have restrictions on early gens??

Kato & Leon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 pm 
The Real Boss

Hi Rachel,

The forms are tricky but not to bad once you get your head around them :D

There are restrictions on showing early gen cats. I’m not sure what these are with GCCF (I know they had plans to change the rules) but TICA will allow F2's & F3’s to be exhibited and F4's onwards to be shown. This would probably suit lnt999 well as he could take Jupiter on exhibition and take Victor to show. The boys then wouldn't have to be separated.

The BCCGB (Bengal Cat Club of Great Britain) will be holding their next TICA show in October 2009. Although it’s an ALL BREED show they always hold specific Bengal congress classes, in particular, there will be one for Bengal Alters (spayed/neutered adults). Ideally this class needs to have a minimum of 20 adult alters (any colour, any sex) for the points to count towards getting a title but if there are less than 20 cats it will be run as a fun class. Although the show is a 2x day show the congress classes will be held on Saturday so there’s no need to show both days if you don’t want to push your cats too hard.

I suggested the GCCF shows initially as they are more local to lnt999 but I have to admit, I personally find the TICA show a lot more fun :wink:

If you’re interested in entering the BCCGB show, you can find out more info here: http://www.bengalcat-interactive.org.uk/show-entry.asp