It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ticking
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just curious....
What amount of ticking is acceptable & what is considered excessive in a show Bengal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 am 
Senior Bengal

The TICA standard does not mention ticking, GCCF says to withhold for distinct ticking in kittens.

With the quality of cats going to the show bench these days I would doubt a ticked coat would get anywhere, it is classed as undesirable.

Gerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 am 
Gerry wrote:
The TICA standard does not mention ticking, GCCF says to withhold for distinct ticking in kittens.

With the quality of cats going to the show bench these days I would doubt a ticked coat would get anywhere, it is classed as undesirable.

Gerry.

I would have liked to have shown Oscar but can't because of that rule but I can understand it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm 
I think I have got what I thought was ticking all wrong. I thought that if a Bengal had black tips on the end of each background hair shaft then that is ticking.

Last edited by kimberley on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ticking is what gives a cat a salt and pepper look and reduces the contrast between the rosettes/spots and the background colour.
Many ALCs are in fact ticked as are many of the "wilder" looking Bengals. The coat tends to look rougher and more like a moggy brown tabby in some cats.

As it is desirable for a Bengal to have a silky soft pelt and good contrast then ticking muddies the effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 pm 
I see :D Oscar has the ticking that has different colours on the end of each hair shaft. So it's quite normal. Amazing that. Then if the ALC is ticked how comes it is not desirable in a Bengal when they are trying to breed them to look like them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The initial intention of Jean Mills was not to breed an ALC lookalike but to breed a small leopard. The emphasis has changed over the years.
Some breeders feel the need to recreate the ALC while others want to produce a small wild looking cat which looks more like a margay, ocelot or a clouded leopard.

ALCs don't have huge pancake rosettes nor really pelted coats both things which some breeders strive for. The Bengal is a very diverse breed with breeders all having their own perception of what they are actually breeding for, within the breed standard, hence the huge differences in the look of Bengals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 pm 
I see, thanks Junglerose :D