[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - TICA show tips please
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TICA show tips please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello!

There aren't a ton of cat shows near us, but I just found out there is one about an hour from here in June!

I was wondering if you could point a newbie in the right direction to find out all I need to know about showing and preparing Max for being shown. I love the showing guide that is posted here but it's not for TICA so I am not sure how much applies. Any and all tips and suggestions appreciated!

A bit about him... He is nearly 5 months and I have heard it is best to start young. He loves strangers giving him attention and so far has been positive about meeting other animals (all supervised by us). He's not keen on being caged in for long and would rather be on his harness so that is a questionable factor for me. He also can do a small obstacle course in our living room on command and LOVES it. I have to change it constantly because he masters them so fast. All of these things make me think he may enjoy cat shows & agility courses. I don't want to cause him any unneeded stress though so want to be as prepared as possible before we move forward.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Best way to familiarise yourself is to go to a few TICA shows, and see how it works. The main difference is the ctas are brought by you to the judges table. Your cat needs to be able to be handled by various people, and to be comfortable to be carried around by you.

Any pics of your boy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry.... Have had a bit of an emergency that isn't over yet.
So we thought we had catproofed but....

Max ripped out a string that was sewn into the lining of a cat tunnel and we are pretty sure he ate it. :( (I checked those strings daily for chew marks... Nothing! Had no idea he could rip it out. I know better now!) he wasn't able to keep food down Sat. AM so we took him to the vet. We are on watch patrol. Monitoring everything that goes in and out of him. He is on Pepcid and hairball medicine and I am going crazy waiting and worrying. Argh!

So... About this post.... I have had trouble posting pictures and had help coming over this weekend but it has been postponed due to string watch. SO..... Once the string has reappeared (hopefully soon & in a natural manner!) I will be working on getting photos up. Until then please send Max good thoughts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PS- I have some pics posted under "Meet our Max" in the gallery a while back. Have MANY more I want to share though!:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PS- I have some pics posted under "Meet our Max" in the gallery a while back. Have MANY more I want to share though!:)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

A few more pics just posted in the gallery (Max Update). Here are a few older ones that I like but the color isn't very good. Lately his ears seem more proportionate to his head.

Hoping someone out there will have some good TICA show advice!
I am a complete NOVICE!
Thanks!

Focused face...

Taking a break during play time...

On his first walk in the backyard...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm 
Bengal Kitten

More pics of me plz! I haz awesomeness.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi RabbitREW,

He looks gorgeous and by the sounds of it he would really enjoy a day out at a Tica show!
Although I've shown with Tica quite a few times I still consider myself a Novice with Tica, hence only writing the guide to GCCF showing at the top of this Showing section of the forum.

Just a few pointers to showing with Tica though - the first is a link that will be useful: - http://www.tica.org/public/showing.php
The second is a guide I got from I don't know where a few years ago as below: -

When to take your cat to a Ring
Judging takes place in the judging area, which will have a number of rings. Each ring is presided over by a judge, who has a Ring Clerk and perhaps a steward to help him.
The Ring Clerk ensures that the right exhibits are called up to the ring at the right time, and also records the judge's decisions.
Exhibits within a group (e.g. LH Cats) are normally judged in numerical order
The steward is responsible for keeping the holding pens clean and, unlike GCCF or FIFe shows, stewards will not handle any cats or transfer cats to/from the benching area.
There will be a judging schedule to give you some idea of when your cat will be judged in each ring. Sometimes this is printed in the catalogue, or may be provided as a handout
Each Ring Clerk will also make a series of announcements, for example "This is Ring 1, can we have Shorthair cats 251 to 256 to Ring 1 please"
It is your job as the exhibitor to ensure that your cat goes to the relevant ring, and is put into the holding pen with its number on it. Any grooming must be completed before taking your cat to the ring.
It is important that you watch the progress of the ring and/or listen out for your cat's number and get to the ring promptly.
If the judge is transferring a cat to/from a holding pen, then please wait until the cat is either on the judging table or back in the pen.
If your cat is already in another ring (e.g. for judging or Finals) then please let the Ring Clerk know immediately and they will guide you on what to do if this happens.
Ring Clerks will make up to 3 calls for a cat - if it is not in the ring, it will then be marked as absent from that ring.
Individual cat numbers are not announced for "Finals", so when the ring clerk announces that (for example)
"numbers are posted for kitten finals in Ring 3" you may need to check if your cat's number is on a pen in the judging ring.

Judging
In judging, kittens, cats and alters and HHPs are judged separately. All that the Judge knows about the cat is the breed, colour, sex and age.
There are no separate classes for males and females
The judge takes the cat from the holding pen, places it on the judging table, evaluates the cat against their knowledge of the written standard, returns the cat to the pen and continues on.
Do not speak to the judge unless you are specifically addressed by the judge.
Should you need to relay any information to the judge, speak first to the ring clerk and they in turn will notify the judge.

Taking your cat out of the Ring
Once the judge or the ring clerk has turned the number card on the pen face down, this is a signal for you to remove your cat from the holding pen.
The show may provide paper Colour or Division ribbons for you to take away. You may find them useful to work out scores for any title awards.
During Finals, once the judge has announced the Best Cat/Kitten/Alter/HHP, then you can take your cat out of the ring, along with your Finals rosette.

Judging Sequence
There is a pyramid of evaluation - first all cats of the same breed and colour are judged against the TICA standard for that breed.
Up to 5 cats are selected as the best-five representatives of their breed in that colour, and the judge will place different coloured ribbons on the pens to show the placings.
Blue is Best of Colour
Red is 2nd Best of Colour
yellow is 3rd Best of Colour
Green is 4th Best of Colour
White is 5th Best of Colour
After judging each colour class within a Division, the judge will then award Division placings -
Best of Division (black or grey - ribbon)
2nd Best of Division (purple ribbon)
3rd Best of Division (orange ribbon)
Awards are again shown by placing the ribbons on the pens.
If a judge chooses to announce their Best of Breed, 2nd Best of Breed and 3rd Best of Breed, she/he may do so. These don't count towards any titles.

Finals
After the judge has seen all kittens, cats or alters, he/she decides on their best exhibits across all the ones that they have judged.
A Speciality (SP) Final will be the best exhibits from either the Longhair or Shorthair category.
An All Breed (AB) Final will be the best exhibits drawn from both Longhair and Shorthair categories.
Speciality Judges can only hold Speciality Finals
"Finals" are effectively a "Best in Show" for that ring.
The Ring Clerk only announces that Finals numbers have been posted not the numbers themselves (this removes the risk that an announcement might influence a judge in another ring).
It is your responsibility to check if your cat is needed and take your cat to the ring.
As a general rule, a cat, kitten or alter that has not already won either a Best or 2nd Best of Division is unlikely to be finalled.

The judge will explain his placings - between top 5 and top 10 (depending on how many cats are competing).
The judge usually explains what they liked about each cat and their ranking before placing a Finals rosette on the pen.
At least 25 exhibits must be present and competing to hold a "Top 10" Final. 20 or less exhibits require a "Top 5" Final. 24 exhibits is a Top 9 Final and so on.
As an exhibitor, it is good etiquette to thank the judge on leaving the ring if your cat has been Finaled.
You can always tell when finals are happening because of the cheering and applause that greets each announcement.

Earning Titles
Titles are earned by a combination of points awarded and getting one or more Finals places.
Titles must be claimed in writing by the exhibitor using the official claim form and sending it to the TICA Executive Office
Best of Colour is worth 25 points down to 5 points for 5th Best of Colour
Best of Division is worth 25 points down to 15 points for 3rd Best of Division
Every Finals place has a points value. From 200 points (Best) to 110 points (10th Best) in AB Finals or from 150 (Best) to 60 points (10th Best) in SP Finals
Points scores are cumulative - so the 500 points for Grand Champion includes the 150 points gained at Champion level and so on.
You can earn more than one title in a show or over a show weekend.

Championship Requirements for Alter Titles
CHA 300 pts from 4 different judges + one final
GCA 1000 pts 6 finals / 4 different judges 3 in Top 5 SP or Top 10 AB
DGCA 2000 pts plus 1 final in Top 5 SP or Top 10 AB as a GRCA
TGCA 3000 pts plus 1 final in Top 5 SP or Top 10 AB as a DGCA
QGCA 4000 pts plus 1 final in Top 5 SP or Top 10 AB as a TGCA
SGCA 6000 pts plus 1 Best Cat as a QGC/QGCA/QGM

Finals

Allbreed Points
Best 200
2nd 190
3rd 180
4th 170
5th 160
6th 150
7th 140
8th 130
9th 120
10th 110

Speciality Points
Best 150
2nd 140
3rd 130
4th 120
5th 110
6th 100
7th 90
8th 80
9th 70
10th 60

Regional and International Awards
All TICA-registered kittens, cats, alters and HHPs can compete for Regional and International Awards during the show year (1 May to 30 April). At the end of each show year, all counts return to zero.
Scoring for these awards uses the same base data (colour, division, breed and finals placement) but is calculated in a different way to titles.
Scoring is done automatically by the Executive Office, and uses the TICA registration number to identify each cat.
Any errors in the registration numbers in show catalogues need to be notified to the EO by 7 May each year (as do any shows where the cat's registration number was not in the catalogue).
Congresses do not count towards Regional and International Awards
The number of exhibits competing in the ring is used in calculating the score - so a cat finalling as Best Cat with 53 exhibits competing in an Allbreed ring gets 200 + 52 points,
the 2nd Best gets 190 + 51 points and so on. If, for example, a cat did not final but was placed third best of breed, with 21 cats in that breed, it would get 18 points.
Regional Awards are presented to the Top 20 Cats, Kittens, Alters, and Household Pets, and the Top 10 Household Pet Kittens at the Regional Awards Banquet.

Yes, it all looks massively complicated, but don’t get too bogged down with the scoring as that will come in time, just concentrate on the judging and sequence of judging and the parts which I have highlighted in red. There will be loads of people there willing to help you through the day and to work out if your cat has gained enough points to win a Title.
Hope this all helps! :)
Annie