It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I thought it might be better to have a separate thread for asking questions regarding EG breeding/ownership, as some questions seem to be being lost in the EG discussion thread.

My questions to EG breeders are:

I was told by an experienced EG breeder a few years ago that F1 queens in particular have a much lower pain threshold than the normal domestic cat, and this is one of the reasons why they will eat their kittens as they are being born. I wondered if this true of F1 queens, and whether an EG breeder can shed some light on this?

I have heard of many F1 queens who are extremely timid and unhandleable, but who are still being kept as queens. Do EG breeders think that it is morally right to breed from a cat with such a nervous disposition, particularly when considering the even greater risk to her kittens being eaten, and especially if the kittens are not going to be hand-reared?

Lastly, for those F1 queens that live outside in pens. Do the queens give birth in the pens? And also, will they have to live their entire lives in outside pens if they are kept by the breeder when retired?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey, good idea. These questions I all asked in the other thread, but I'll put them here as well...
I must say I'm a bit curious as to why F3s seem rarer than F2s?
Here's a question - would it not be a good idea to go straight to owning an F3 without previous bengal experience? But knowing that I have had animals (everything from cats, dogs, horses, goats) from the time I was born, have already committed to a dog (soon to be two...not to mention my 2 horses!), know that animals are my lifelong passion (I work with animals for a living and plan on continuing to do so), AND last but not least, I'm an avid researcher! I always find out as much as I can about everything before committing to anything. And, once I do commit to an animals, I do it entirely whole-heartedly.
I'm by no means stuck on the idea of an F3, I was curious about them before and then a breeder who I'm very interested in just told me they had an F3 kitten available. I haven't gotten the details yet on the kitten, and I am waiting for a very special personality, so none of this is in anyway confirmed yet. I'm hoping to find a super outgoing kitten, one who will like to go out on adventures on a leash, really interactive and very affectionate. Would this be a reasonable expectation from an F3? Of course if I had the chance to bond from kittenhood.
Once again thanks for the input and I really look forward to hearing what all you experts have to say!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am not an expert but i think anyone thinking of getting an EG, which includes an F3 should perhaps have an SBT Bengal 1st...

IMO and experience an early gen bengal is everything an sbt is only x5, so an sbt would perhaps prepare you more??

miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the advice Miki. It's very understandable for sure.
I have another question, which is - are F3s usually more expensive like the F2s are? Because I was quoted a VERY reasonable price ($750 USD) for the F3 kitten I mentioned, and this is from an extremely reputable breeder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi. :D
I think you will find that as they go higher in generation (away from the ALC), they become cheaper, until you get to F4/F5 and they are then standard SBT price.
An F3 should be priced somewhere between the F2 and F4......less than F2 but slightly more than F4, but quality being taken into consideration as always. :D

Re...your other question: "I'm hoping to find a super outgoing kitten, one who will like to go out on adventures on a leash, really interactive and very affectionate. Would this be a reasonable expectation from an F3?"

I am not sure than F3 would be the best for this as the EG's can be more reserved and slightly shy sometimes, so maybe wouldn't make your ideal 'harness/outdoor/adventurous' cat. I am sure there may be exceptions to the rule but you would be lucky to find one that would be happy doing this, I think?

http://www.bengalbreedersunited.co.uk

Last edited by Suntouched on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kootenaipaws wrote:
Thanks for the advice Miki. It's very understandable for sure.
I have another question, which is - are F3s usually more expensive like the F2s are? Because I was quoted a VERY reasonable price ($750 USD) for the F3 kitten I mentioned, and this is from an extremely reputable breeder.

F3 kittens are cheaper than F2 kittens but more expensive than SBT's, i was quoted £750 for an F3.... which is more expensive than 750 dollars, but i dont know what the general prices are for any bengals in the US.....

Miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hmm, yeah, that's what I would have thought. But I would expect to pay at least $750 for a nice SBT here. Oh well - need to stop thinking about F3s so much :D such gorgeous kitties though. Tempting!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi kootenaipaws
I have an f3 male, i regularly take him for walks on a lead, and he is very nosy and affectionate. As soon as we have any visitors around he is straight over to see them and if they are sat down, he takes the opportunity to have snooze on their lap! The opposite can be said of my sbt, who refuses to let me put a lead on her and as soon as we have guests, she runs upstairs to hide. My f3 is very docile though, and is less likely to run around as much as my 2 sbts - which i realise is very unusual for an eg!
Think it just shows how different they really are, depending on genetics and the breeder they are from. I have to say though, my f3 is just amazing in every way. and i would be lost without him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

clairemacg wrote:
hi kootenaipaws
I have an f3 male, i regularly take him for walks on a lead, and he is very nosy and affectionate. As soon as we have any visitors around he is straight over to see them and if they are sat down, he takes the opportunity to have snooze on their lap! The opposite can be said of my sbt, who refuses to let me put a lead on her and as soon as we have guests, she runs upstairs to hide. My f3 is very docile though, and is less likely to run around as much as my 2 sbts - which i realise is very unusual for an eg!
Think it just shows how different they really are, depending on genetics and the breeder they are from. I have to say though, my f3 is just amazing in every way. and i would be lost without him.
I am new to the forum and have 3 Bengals, I think it depends on the temperament of the cat, like people cats have diferent type of temperaments. I think for someone geting their first Bengal an F3 is not a good choice as they require more understanding than an sbts. But thats my opinion. I have an Adult female that I bought from a breeder. I bought her as an adult and my male Bengal hated her, It took me over a month for them to stay in the same room together as he would spit and fight with her. I tried all things possible for them to get on, pheramone collars, calming medicenes, etc.. He just did not like her. I have another female and he gets on fine with her. Well now they stay in the same room and are starting to eccept each other. Well it wasn't easy and it's taken me a lot of time and patience to get them to stay in the same room together without there being a fight. So I think if someone is wanting to buy a Bengal theyd research the breed very well and not go for an F3 .