[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Visiting newborn kittens?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi every one,
I'm really new here. My beautiful brown rosetted girl is expecting a litter any day now (we are on day 61)
I think I'm all set and have read just about everything on every gutting.
My main concern now is people visiting the kittens. I have 3 children who will only be allowed to look at the kittens once I'm 100% mum is happy and coping etc and they won't be allowed to handle the babies till they at least have their eyes open. But at what point do you allow other people to see your kittens. I currently have one neighbour visiting twice a day to see if we have kittens yet. What do you say to people to politely tell them to go away or when do you allow people to see / pet the kittens.

Also out of interest (just to fill my Tim) what day did your girl have her kittens.
It's all very exciting but very nerve racking.

Effie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know that we currently have any breeders who are posting regularly. The kittens should not be handled by anyone for a while -- at least until their eyes are open and they are starting to move around. The mother needs to have this time with the babies. Even children need to be careful in handling the babies. They are quite fragile. If you have a neighbor who insists on coming over, then ask them to refrain for a few weeks. It's one thing to "look" at the kitties and ooooh and awwww over them, but they should not be handled for a few weeks. You simply have to set boundaries for the neighbor (unless the neighbor is planning to purchase one of the kittens). If people want to see the babies, post pictures on Facebook. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh yeah, post photos on FB and let people know it is special mommy bonding time and they need to be xx days old before they are exposed to people for health reasons. I can imagine people would want to pick them up and handle them. That would really bother me until they are 9 or 10 weeks old. Good luck and post lots of pictures!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks both,
My neighbour seems to have calmed down now, there will definitely be lots of photos going on Facebook, so makes sense to put a note with that saying no visitors till whatever date.
Thank you, I feel a little less panicky today but am very anxiously awaiting labour. We are now on day 63. My girl is very quiet today so keeping super close eye. Will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's an exciting time for you and kitty-momma.