[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Amara is pregnant
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amara is pregnant
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations! Eight kittens is a lot. I'm guessing this was not Amara's first litter! That being said, I'm not sure you can charge much for the kittens. They are not pure bengals. I am sorry about the one that didn't make it -- sometimes there just isn't room for all of them to develop.

Do NOT under any circumstances allow any visitors for at least four weeks. Six weeks is preferable. The kittens should be handled as little as possible. Let Amara take over the duties and care for them. If people want to view the kittens, take a picture and send it to them. In fact....we'd love to see a picture.

And ... make sure all 7 of these are getting enough milk from Amara. Sometimes when they have large litters, you may need to supplement a little bit to ensure they grow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awe, that was a long delivery. It must have been a little scary for both of you. That's a lot of kittens to deliver! I'm glad it turned out so well. Only one lost during the birthing process is pretty good considering there were so many kittens. Amara must be exhausted! Well now she can relax and nurse and wash her new born babies. That must be something to see!

When I was a child we had a siamese that had kittens. One died right after birth and two survived, a boy and a girl. The girl was stud fee and we sold the mother and kept the boy (Peter) for 18 years. It was a wonderful miracle to experience as a young child. The kittens were so adorable. I hope you post lots of photos!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:23 pm 
Senior Bengal

Yeah I don't think I will make much on the kittens but hopefully at the very least enough to get her spayed... I'll admit I am trying my luck a little when I first advertised them but I know I am willing to accept alot less for them when the time actually comes to finding them homes. End of the day a good home is all I want and I would even give them away if I was 110% certain that they would be looked after.

I was totally taking back by the eight myself! I was only expecting three maybe four max so when she continued to have kittens after she had her fourth I just couldn't believe my eyes. I got Amara this time a year ago and sadly I know very little about her history but I did suspect she was probably used for breeding even known the previous owner ignored my messages when I inquired about it. That might explain the big litter

How will I know to supplement her milk if they all aren't getting enough? There is a little one who seems to often be pushed out by the others when they are suckling. I am debating offering that one a little top up of replicated kitten milk.

Also is there a way to check if Amara is producing milk? My main worry is to discover that she isn't producing milk for them but they all seem settled when suckling and only cry when she walks away and they seem to be able to crawl around which suggests that they haven't went hungry throughout the night.

Will upload a picture but I will admit it is bad quality and does them no justice. The ones on the top are the biggest of the bunch and the smaller ones seem to be underneath them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is a wonderful photo of the precious little ones. Looks like mummy is curled around protecting her babies. Those kitten look like they have some wonderful markings! Are you sure Amara did not find herself a purebred bengal to be the daddy during her escape?!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:55 pm 
Senior Bengal

I tried to brighten the photo up using an app on my phone as the room is so dark due to lack of natural lighting. So don't take this photo too literal but it should show their markings slightly better than the first and it also shows that they seem to have her coloring.

Wish I knew who the father was now and if he had any bengal ancestry of his own.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The markings and coloring on the kittens are incredible!!! They are beautiful babies. I'm guessing breeders who encounter large litters like this know how to supplement the kittens with milk. I would think 7 would probably mean one is getting left out of the food line. Google on feeding new kittens and see if there is any information there that could help you. The kittens should be growing at an alarming rate if she is providing enough milk for them. If not, then you'll need to syringe the kittens and there are milk products specifically for newborn kittens that you can probably pick up at the pet store. The kittens should have mommy's milk on their mouth and they should stop feeding when they are full. Just try to ensure there is no "runt" of the litter getting left out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:23 pm 
Senior Bengal

Looked at all the kittens in detail today... 6 are deffo doing well but one little one isn't. I have intervened and started offering milk supplement to it but it also doesn't seem quite right. Underneath it is clearly furless with bright red skin and and it has lack of fur on its legs and doesn't seem to have coordination and if it isn't turning in circles it is rolling over backwards. It really struggles to suckle unlike the others as it seems to be always heading in the wrong direction. (it only accepted about 2oz of supplement at 11am and only accepted another 2oz at 1pm) Should I continue to try and help it or should I let nature take its course? I don't want to keep it alive for it to only suffer later.

Also the markings from the picture I took last time have totally changed! Looking at them all in detail today and even known on some of them you can see the similarity from the picture they do look totally different and much more moggie like and you can clearly see that they are crosses. Is it common for their appearance to change so much within 24 hours?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:59 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am not seeing your other post! I wish I could answer your question! I haven't seen the kitten, but I do know I would probably do all I could to save the kitten! You could always take the kitten to the vet to be checked out for an opinion. I'm just not one to let "nature take its course." This kitten may or may not make it. It obviously needs a little help. I am so very sorry you're having to go through this. We all think cats have kittens and the mom does everything for them! They usually do, but sometimes there are complications and the little ones need some extra help and care.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:09 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:11 pm 
Senior Bengal

Photo update on the kittens... as you can see they have totally changed and look much more "moggie" like but still cute beyond words.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my goodness, they are so sweet and fuzzy. It must really be something to see them all together with their mom. I would never want to leave the house.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:44 pm 
Senior Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Those babies are so teeny tiny!!!!! Beautiful, they are just super beautiful!!!! I don't know how you're going to be able to give them up! LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next