It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:39 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:19 pm
Posts: 5
Hi, I recently bought a future breeding queen from a reputable breeder. I bought her as a breeder, she has been fully vaccinated against Calici, Felv, Herpes etc., iand I have the vaccination records to prove it.

I got her on the 8th and today she was diagnosed as having probable Calicivirus...either that or Herpes as according to my vet, they are very similar.

I've googled a lot and come to the conclusion you can't breed from cats that have had Calicivirus, I emailed my breeder and she's asked what I want to do - and I don't know :(

Obviously I love her to pieces but we did buy her as a future breeding cat and if we can't breed from her, then she's just a very expensive pet. She carries a lot of colours too - Charcoal and Blue and possibly Silver so I'm gutted that I can't breed from her.

I guess I'm looking for advice. Is it the case that once a cat has had Calicivirus, you can't breed form them? My vet said you probably can, it's Herpes-infected cats that you can't breed from?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:01 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8016
I am not a breeder. Unfortunately, these things can happen. You honestly do not want to breed this cat. Queens need to be in perfect health. You do not want anything that can carry on down through the litters. What is the breeder willing to do? Take her back and refund your money? Offer you another female in exchange? Offer for you to keep the kitty as a pet and give you a discount on another cat? This little gal needs a home and if you've fallen in love with her -- I'd keep her. Know that breeding is extremely expensive and you're putting out money constantly. Only you can decide what you need to do with this kitten. If I were in your place and I loved the little gal, I would keep her and seek out another queen with no health problems for my breeding program. But, that's just me!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:03 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:19 pm
Posts: 5
The breeder has been good. Obviously she won't take her back, as it's potentially putting her own cats at risk, but she has offered either a partial refund or for me to have another kitten.

Trouble is, I'm worried that if I keep her she will carry on shedding the virus and infecting any other cats I bring into the household.

Can't seem to find any info on how likely that is to happen, other than it happens with about 50% of cats that have had the infection.

I'm very confused :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8016
Have you spoken to a vet! Is there any medication that can help this condition? I understand the breeder and your hesitation on this kitty! However, I do believe if you keep the cats separated -- and you should in a breeding program, things could be fine. Don't second guess ... meet with a vet -- you should have one ready for your breeding program. I'm sure they could discuss things with you and help with your decision as to whether to keep or re-home this kitty to a single cat environment. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 pm
Posts: 730
So sorry you are going through this sounds difficult to work out what to do for the best but good idea to go and see a vet.

Maybe next time you could get the kitten tested first to make sure it doesn't have any health issues although not sure if breeders allow this.

_________________
Oscar and Jasper (or one ear and two ears as dh calls them) black rescue mogges

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:41 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:48 pm
Posts: 1
I'm very sorry to hear about her health problem, but if you have fallen in love with this cat - do not give her up. Sometimes a misfortune can be a blessing in disguise. She still needs a home and love even though she cannot breed it takes a huge emotional toll to be bounced around and can create even more problems for her in the future.
I wish you the best luck


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey