[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - looing for a male to breed with unregistered blue eyed snow
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi
I have a blue eyed snow spotted kitten approx 14weeks old at the moment, I am looking for a brown spotted male to breed with her when she is old enough. I intend to keep the kittens for myself and my family but would be willing to allow the other have one as part of the deal if they wish as she is a very pretty cat. She is not registered because the person I bought her from bought the mother from the breeder who has since disappeared leaving me unable to register her . Any help would be appreciated, I am located in Newport south Wales.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
Senior Bengal

I think that it is unethical to try and breed an unregistered cat!! You could have all types of complications.
Any responsible owners of non active kittens should get them SPAYED! I bet the breeder you bought her from would be mortified.
Do the cat a favour and get her spayed and chipped. May seem like harsh advice but I don't think that any responsible owner would ever contemplate your offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks but I wasn't looking for your approval my cat is in perfect health and well l looked after and I choose to breed her for personal reasons not with the idea to do so that is entirely my decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

* not with the idea of selling commercially

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 pm 
Senior Bengal

Whether cats appear to be in good health is irrelevant. Your kitten's mother was obviously sold as a pet, which means that your kitten could have underlying health problems. I appreciate that it's your choice whether to breed your kitten and become another BYB but posting on a forum where breeders work tirelessly to perfect the breed you should expect some negativity.

Congratulations on your new kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have enough unregistered kittens looking for homes in the world as it is, we don't need to add any more. Just because your kitten is "in perfect health" doesn't mean you've done the screening necessary to breed. Nor does it mean you'll be prepared to deal with an intact female when she's older.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I doubt anyone on this forum will help you to find a stud, back yard breeders are not encouraged here. The best advice I can give you is to neuter your lovely pet cat and give her the pampered life she deserves. If you really want to breed then do some research, buy an active registered queen from health screened parents who are tested for PK-Def and HCM, make sure you health screen your queen and then look for an active registered, health screened stud boy.

You don't know what health issues may be present in your girls lines, you say her breeder has disappeared so you can't register her but she should have already been registered before you got her, the only thing you should have needed to do was transfer ownership from the breeder to you once you took her home. Considering she wasn't registered when you got her it's likely she came from a back yard breeder who was using unregistered cats or non-active registered cats and therefore couldn't register the kittens. Without registration papers you won't ever be able to know 100% that she is even full Bengal, that piece of paper isn't just for those who buy show or breeding cats, it tells you that you have got what you paid for. If a breeder isn't even registering her kittens it is unlikely that they will have done any health testing at all, you would need to test your cat for PK-Def and also yearly for HCM or you could end up with terminally ill kittens :(. Breeding is very expensive and very very hard work, it sounds lovely to have cute kittens running about your house but the realities of breeding are very different from the rosy image people seem to have about letting their cat have kittens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You would have a major problem with finding a breeder willing to let you use their registered stud number one.
You will most likely end up with having to use an unregistered stud from one of the free-ad sites, and you will have absolutely no knowledge of the lines or health issues in those lines whatsoever.
The breeder you bought your Bengal from sold her as a pet for a reason. Do you know if there are any health problems with your girl's line? Are you absolutely certain that she is a good example of the breed? Do you know anything about genetics, even a basic knowledge? Has your girl had any health testing?
Have you heard of HCM, PKdef, PKD, LP, HD, FCK, PRA, FIP for example?

You are playing a very risky game with wanting to let your girl have the 'one litter'. You are putting her health and her potential kittens' health at risk. The Bengal breed has MANY health problems, and genuine breeders are trying to work carefully and selectively to avoid these problems and to ensure the health of future generations.

Do your girl a favour, and spay her. You could end up with a female cat spraying relentlessly and with behaviour problems too. You may have kittens with genetic faults. Breeding Bengals isn't for the faint hearted and it should be undertaken with thorough research & experience of owning a Bengal before you even consider producing kittens.

Read through this, digest it carefully, and then rethink mating your girl:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5518

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We have too many BYBs on here that have caused unneccesary problems by doing exactly what you propose to do. Poor little jackson who had a bad start in life, who belongs to one of the posters on here is a prime exampke of why this should not be done. Luckily he recovered thanks to his lovely owner who cared so diligently for him. And also my own achilles. The 'breeder' we got him from is now going through the courts and has had all her cats seized from her 'care'. Be responsible for the sake of your girl and to prevent any suffering when you realise you have bitten off more than you can chew. You evidently have no idea of the health problems involved with this breed so heres some advice whether wanted or not. Dont do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Forgive me. Not BYBs on here but that posters have experienced and posted about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My cat has been tested for various thing all came back negative. I could tell you if she is a good example of the breed as these as my first 2( I own the mum as well she has been spayed now ). Thanks for all your comments much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Does "various things" include HCM and PK-def, which are not included in your average vet check? I somehow doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

7deadly: am i right in thinking that have to have them tested again once they reach adulthood, my vet told me that sometimes it isnt immediately evident in very young kittens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thought as much, just wanted to make the OP aware if they werent already x