It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten litter training
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 pm 
Bengal Cat

Just wondering what other breeders do with litter training their kittens. Is there an age when you kittens are fully trained by and what do you do in the early weeks?

My kittens usually have a kittening box which they stay in exclusively until about 3-4wks when they start to venture out into the rest of the room. I have one room just for the kittens and their mum, it is a rather large room though. Whilst the kittens are usually quite good from 4-5weeks onwards there is a lot of mishaps in corners here and there and they seem to love peeing on the cables of my computer which is in their room - which is obviously not good. Once they start with that it is a constant battle keeping that area dry. Although I clean the area and spray with Gett off spray to deter them the odd one or two still like going back there.

I figure perhaps the room is just too big for them so for my recent litter I have bought a large playpen to confine them to with the litter tray, sleeping mats, food and water bowl etc all confined in the playpen so they learn to use the litter tray and don't get distracted with going anywhere else. They are 4 weeks old currently. Just wondering how long should I keep them confined to the playpen? Should they be fully trained by 5-6weeks?

What are your experiences with the ages they are fully trained?

I sometimes have the odd one or two who have atttention defecit disorder when it comes to the litter tray. I put them in there but they see their siblings playing and want to go and join in so jump out and run away. I have to put them in the tray like 4-7 times before they they think oh actually I do need the toilet and go.

Any tips on making the process any easier?