It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice Please
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with raw feeding information, I kknow there is loads out there but I'm concerned that I'm not doing it right

I have a 4 month old boy, he currently has about 4 meals a day (but pretty much on demand as he lets me know in no uncertain terms when he is hungry!)

a typical days food -

breakfast - a large tablespoon (ish) natural instinct weaning paste mixed with taurine paste and a heaped teaspoon of a cooked mashed chicken liver and lamb kidney paste

lunch - chicken drumstick or 1/2 thigh (bone in) or a couple of wing pieces

tea - cooked or raw (depends what I've lifted out of the freezer) chicken breast, sometimes with a couple of mice/rat pinkies or fuzzies (hoping to get hold of day old chicks soon)

supper - a repeat of one of the meals (usually weaning paste) with extra taurine paste and another small portion of liver/kidney

he seems happy, he's got a podgy tummy, sturdy legs, sleeps well and is full of energy when awake, I'm just worrying that I'm missing something

other important things -

I am trying to vary his weaning paste and am trying the natural instinct completes, he hates the lamb one but next time I'll order chicken to see if he takes to that

I have an older (3) moggy but there is no feeding issues, he loves the raw diet too (took to it straight away) however he won't take the kitten's food and is quite fearful of that Bengal eating growl!

there is always fresh water available along with either Royal Canin kitten biscuits or Iams adult but he doesn't touch either, they are for the older cat really (the Royal Canin was a freebie)

any advice or pointers where I might be going wrong will be gratefully received, my end goal really is to have a natural instinct complete diet, with additional meats as a treat, just for the ease, and knowing all his nutrition is in the one dish

thank you if you've read this far

Post subject: Re: Advice Please
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Most new bengal owners overthink things a little too much. I did not have my bengal when he was a kitten, so I am no expert. I just know that kittens need to eat frequently and as much food as they want. As for raw ... there are those here who feed raw and there is a topic here on that, so I hope you read through it. The main thing is that your kitten is getting all the nutrients he needs. I'm guessing the paste is a supplement. It is super important to feed your baby what he will eat and enjoy since he has a lot of growing to do. I would probably add another small meal at bedtime.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The natural instinct weaning paste is 100% chicken with bone minced finely, that's why I add liver and kidney to it (slow cooked and mashed) and also add extra taurine.

It is ensuring he's getting all the nutrients he needs that worries me, I've always had cats, Chui (that's my boy) is the newest arrival after losing my much loved Siamese at the beginning of the year, but I've never raw fed before

and thank you for the welcome :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The main thing a cat needs is taurine and calcium. Taurine is found in the organs (liver, heart). Calcium is found in the bones or egg shells. This is why when a cat hunts in the wild, they pretty much eat everything but the stomach and intestines of the animal.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum...

I've been through this confusing conflicting contradicting information available online about raw food. But then I made my own menu as follows:

Quails, chicken, shrimps, fillet fish, chicken feet, chicken liver and chicken hears...

I feed my 14 weeks old Snickers different choices every day along with the supplements. each usually contains selected meet and different organs for every meal per day.

I started with three to four meals per day, but noticed she'd eat every time I give her food but gets lazy afterwards. So I cut down to two sufficient meals and a snack per day. She's very energetic like a monkey. And gained 400 grams in four weeks.

I hope this helps you... good luck.