It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My kittens are coming home on Royal Canin mother and baby cat, but I am hoping to wean them onto Applaws dry and either Applaws or Lily's kitchen wet food ( I use Lily's kitchen exclusively for my very fussy chihuahua and she loves it).

I would stick with what the breeder sends him home with for a bit until he's settled but I will warn you now Bengals are super picky and no matter how badly you want them to eat this amazingly nutritious food they will turn their nose up at it and only eat the poor quality foods like whiskas, my last cat was terrible for doing that, I ended up donating so much expensive food to cats protection league.

Besides that just make sure you have white fish in like cod to cook and raw mince as if he is fussy you can mix it with the dry to get him to eat it.

If you are worried about his tummy get some prokolin (probiotic paste) in and some kitten nutrical there's also a similar one called vetcal that's sold in Europe. It's amazing stuff if they aren't eating well or have tummy issues as it gives them all the vitamins they need.

Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Seraph wrote:
I would stick with what the breeder sends him home with for a bit until he's settled but I will warn you now Bengals are super picky and no matter how badly you want them to eat this amazingly nutritious food they will turn their nose up at it and only eat the poor quality foods like whiskas, my last cat was terrible for doing that, I ended up donating so much expensive food to cats protection league.

Oh I dunno about that. Mine thankfully like brands that I think are high quality and nutritious. Serafina favors Earthborn Holistic and Weruva, and Gaga loves Radcat raw, and both like Blue Wildneress dry. So I can't complain. It is true though that along the way they both rejected their share of food that was high quality by my estimation. Of course for all I know they might prefer Meow Mix or Purina Cat Chow to what they are eating now.. but if I have my way, we'll never put that to the test! As far as they are concerned, those crummy foods don't exist :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you are UK I use Canagan which is grain free but very expensive. I always buy from pets corner as they will take it back if your cat does not like it! I recently returned a 4kg bag of the salmon flavour as Oscar would not eat it. He loves the chicken and also the game flavour. They swapped it without question for the flavour I know he likes. Pretty amazing service and you don't have to worry about spending loads of money and your cat not eating it!!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

spitspot wrote:
If you are UK I use Canagan which is grain free but very expensive. I always buy from pets corner as they will take it back if your cat does not like it! I recently returned a 4kg bag of the salmon flavour as Oscar would not eat it. He loves the chicken and also the game flavour. They swapped it without question for the flavour I know he likes. Pretty amazing service and you don't have to worry about spending loads of money and your cat not eating it!!!

Wow thanks for the tip, I'll use their site if I'm having to try a new flavour or type of food as I had so many issues before with my other girl refusing to eat things and bags of cat food or boxes of wet just sitting around. At least they went to good use feeding the poor kitties at the charity though.

brianj12 wrote:
. Of course for all I know they might prefer Meow Mix or Purina Cat Chow to what they are eating now.. but if I have my way, we'll never put that to the test! As far as they are concerned, those crummy foods don't exist :)

Sadly in 1999 when I got Mina there weren't as many really top quality cat foods available in the UK as there are now, well at least not wet food. So as a kitten she came to me eating whiskas kitten to get her to eat and well it's a habit she never seemed to want to stop. I'm wondering if they put sugar or catnip in their food and don't tell anyone to get cats addicted lol.

As for the new kittens I'm making sure they eat something decent if I can lol.

Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:10 am 
Bengal Cat

I feed chicken breast and Tiki brand can food which is pure meat with less than 1% additives. My sister is lazier so she feed Orijen grain free dry food.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

ttl wrote:
Mine get Orijen Cat & Kitten (dry) anytime they want and Hills Science Plan for kittens (wet) every morning and evening. I'm getting both from zooplus, they're good for the kitties, no problem with the poo. My cats arent too picky though when it comes to different brands and varieties, we've tried some other stuff before and they've always eaten no problem, except for canned, pate-like food. For some reason they wouldnt touch it, even good brands like Applaws.

I know this is a few months late, but I am curious how long a 12lb bag of Orijen lasts you for the two kitties??

I was going to feed them Earthborn Holistic dry but read a ton of reviews on Amazon that kitties were getting sick. Orijen is about twice the price but with them also getting a can of wet food a day I know they won't be getting too full on the dry!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

How long a bag of any dry food will last depends on how much your kitties eat. The bag will always have the feeding recommendation (according to the weight of the cat). You should be able to read that online with the product. And, Orijen may have multiple sized bags, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raava&Vaatu wrote:
ttl wrote:
Mine get Orijen Cat & Kitten (dry) anytime they want and Hills Science Plan for kittens (wet) every morning and evening. I'm getting both from zooplus, they're good for the kitties, no problem with the poo. My cats arent too picky though when it comes to different brands and varieties, we've tried some other stuff before and they've always eaten no problem, except for canned, pate-like food. For some reason they wouldnt touch it, even good brands like Applaws.

I know this is a few months late, but I am curious how long a 12lb bag of Orijen lasts you for the two kitties??

I was going to feed them Earthborn Holistic dry but read a ton of reviews on Amazon that kitties were getting sick. Orijen is about twice the price but with them also getting a can of wet food a day I know they won't be getting too full on the dry!

I would never buy a bag that big, unless you had like half a dozen large cats lol. The food in those really don't last that long, unless you have a good way of vacuum sealing it or something like that. Cats will either start rejecting the food, or worse, eat it and get sick from an old bag.

The other thing is that you have no clue whether your kittens will like Orijen, or if they do, whether they will tolerate it or not (especially with the zillion different proteins in that food). Seriously, for a while, buy really small bags. For Orijen they actually have these "sample" sized bags which are a few bowls full. That's what you'd want to buy initially.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 am 
Bengal Kitten

Is Orijen not a good food for bengals? I feed my Bengal Orijen, and he has been doing very well.
My Bengal is also in a " recovery" state, as I have had him a short time and was in rough shape when I got him.
He was on some cheap food and I slowly got him eating Orijen by mixing it with his food. He has had loose stools the whole time.
He thriving every other way. Is there something about Orijen I do not know? I thought it was good for bengals to have a lot of protein.