[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - vegan diet for cats?
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: vegan diet for cats?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please note, before anyone attacks me or accuses me of anything… I DO NOT support this diet to be fed to cats, I DO NOT feed my cats any vegan foods, and I DO NOT plan on doing so. This is simply a topic for discussion.

Okay, now let me get started! Haha

So I have recently become vegan, for a number of reasons which I won’t go into detail about at this time, otherwise this post would belong in the ‘Off Topic’ section of the forum.

Having said that, the vegan animal activist who inspired me to change my diet with his very informative, educational, eye opening speeches and interviews, Gary Yourofsky, also opposes ANIMALS eating other animals. I do respect him and he has a lot of great opinions, but also some that I do not agree with.

So Gary claims that although obligate carnivores, cats CAN thrive on a vegan diet. He claims that all major health issues which develop are from the meat they consume, just like health problems humans develop can be linked to meat consumption. He says that if cats are fed pure ingredients – fruit, veg, etc, they can live a long, healthy life.

Now, I have heard of dogs being able to live, and live WELL on a vegetarian or vegan diet, and I know many people who feed their dogs vegetables and fruits and they are very happy, healthy dogs. But cats??? I didn’t think so. Not only this, but just TRY feeding vegetables to your cat… especially to a Bengal!!

I did some research into this, and many people claim that they feed their cats a vegan diet and health issues that they had prior to being vegan, just went away, and they are living to an old age on this new diet.

Of course, there are also claims of cats who have nearly died from vegan diets. But, just like with humans, you need to make sure you are getting all of your required nutrition from all sources to be healthy. Same goes for cats and A LOT of research would need to be put into creating a nutritionally balanced meal plan for a cat.

This seemed a bit strange to me, I mean… cats are carnivores, right?? But Gary claims that animals are, too, rational thinking creatures and there are some reported cases when wild animals REFUSED to eat another animal for those reasons.

What does everyone think? Is it wrong for people to impose their beliefs on their pets such as a vegan diet? Or can it be beneficial if done right?

Once again, please note that I am NOT feeding my cats any vegan food, they are being fed a full, raw meat diet.

Post subject: Re: vegan diet for cats?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting theory! I think the way nature intended has got to be best though! Cats will not naturally eat fruit, nuts, vegetables etc in the wild and surely their bodies are designed to eat meat and need that nutrition that meat provides. I am vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat. Whether an animal is carnivore, herbivore or omnivore is surely pre-ordained by nature. As humans we have the choice and can carefully add vegan or vegetarian protein into out diets. How would you do that with a cat? Maybe Amur the Siberian tiger is telling us he wants to be a veggie by refusing to eat Timur the goat!!!!! :lol:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have friends (two sisters) who are vegan and their pets do not eat meat whatsoever. All of the dog and cats' meals are prepared for them. I don't know that these pets live any longer than normal, but my friends are adamant against eating animals or even fish of any kind. The hard part is making sure the cats get taurine, which is essential to their diet. There are supplements you can purchase to give your pets. It's really a personal decision for you. Google and read up on things. The key is all living animals/humans require protein of some sort! Meat provides that. I'm not a vegan so I have no problem giving my kitty chicken or turkey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Spot on, Brian. Spot on!

Personally, I do NOT feel that a vegan diet is healthy for cats OR dogs. For humans....to each their own. No person should push their dietary beliefs on any one else, no matter their belief.

Now... Back to cats....

Not all carnivores are obligate carnivores. In fact, most aren’t. But cats are. As obligate carnivores, kitties can’t digest plant-based foods efficiently, nor do plant-based foods provide the nutrients felines require. The digestive tracts of herbivores and omnivores are vastly different from that of the carnivore and able to adapt to a host of dietary options, but for the true carnivore, this simply isn’t the case. Obligate carnivores, also known as “true carnivores,” are literally just that. Animals that, because of their genetic conditioning, must eat a flesh-based diet to thrive. To deprive a cat of meat is irresponsible, unethical, and ultimately detrimental to the health of the cat.

The feline digestive tract is short, and unable to process the nutrients contained in plant matter. Plant proteins do NOT contain all the amino acids critical for the health of obligate carnivores, and unlike humans who have the physiological ability to turn plant proteins into the missing pieces needed for a complete amino acid profile, cats don’t have that capacity. Protein in animal tissue has a complete amino acid profile. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein.

Cats also require taurine as a fundamental building block of good health. Yes, of course it can be bought as a supplement, but ALWAYS keep in mind that chemically derived supplements, for pets OR people, cannot be fully absorbed by the body and are simply passed as waste. (which is why whole food vitamins are always best!) However, in my opinion, this is the equivalent of eating nothing but iceberg lettuce and taking a synthetic multivitamin. That vitamin can’t possibly make up for all the nutrients missing from an iceberg lettuce-only diet. Better quality proteins have higher biological values, meaning they are easier for the body to digest, absorb, and use properly. Taurine is a nutrient that can be found in animal flesh, though the best quantities are located in the organ meat; specifically the liver and heart.

Cat owners also need to avoid non-meat sources of protein, for example, soy and corn, as these are not species-appropriate foods for kitties, which is why so many health issues in pets can be linked back to grain based pet foods.

So....in MY opinion there you have it. Obligate + Carnivore = CATS. Cats need meat to survive!!

As for animals being "rational thinkers"...I also have to disagree. Rational thinking is thinking that is logically structured and which takes into account established fact. Animals CANNOT reason or have true structured thought. Ever seen a horse be terrified of a simple bucket? I have. Thats not rational. Animals also cannot logically make decisions like people can. This is why they get killed in traffic....they arent able to think "oh that car could hit and kill me...Id best stay on the sidewalk." I highly doubt there have been any TRUE cases of say, a cat caputuring a mouse, then after thinking about that mouse's family decide to turn her loose. If animals could process and rationalize the world around them like people can, they wouldnt have maximum cognitive skills of a toddler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Deputy, you gave such a complete answer, I'm surprised you posted a question about Suri not eating! You have such knowledge -- I am really impressed!!! Now, let's get Suri back to eating properly. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats are definitely irrational animals. I notice that all the time. You can't fault them for it, that is just who they are. I treat mine like little babies, but they are irrational, controlled by instincts and motivated by food. If I didn't control what they ate, they would eat vegetables, bread, sweets, anything they could get their paws on. They love meat though. I put their venison down last night and they made such loud smacking and chewing noises. It was so sweet. Then they surrounded me and watched me eat my dinner as if they were starving.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is nothing like having the competition of two cats to make them eat! Oscar sometimes leaves half his food. I bet he would not do it if he lived with other cats!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL....thanks, Sherry. Animal science and nutrition was actually my my major in college. I get the science part....just not the "why wont my damn cat eat her previously enjoyed food?!" part. Especially as Ive never had a housecat before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Deputy, you have learned a lot through this forum and from owning Suri! Cats are really crazy creatures. I offer a nice two-story heated cat house with an open porch and feeding station and a nice big heated bed in a box for the neighbor's cat. He'll use either one for a night or two and then be gone all when it's below freezing or raining. He returns soaking wet! Stupid cat -- hop up in the 20"x27 upper room with soft baby blanket in the front and the heated bed in the back. Or take the covered open porch that is 14"x23" and take a nap up there. Nope -- then today, it's about 50 degrees and he's napping in the upper room! You can't tell a cat what to do.