[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - WET Food How much do you pay a month??
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm going out on a limb and say ALL cat food has taurine in it as it's a nutritional requirement for ALL cats. Sometimes the labels are super hard to read, especially on a small can.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have found the right food !!! :biggrin: Animonda Carny..its got alot of meat in it and no by products. They both love it. I bought in bulk 240 cans will last for two months and because of the bulk buying I only paid 140.- ...i can't believe its way better good healthy food and it costs less then RC! I am so glad I found it and it feels good to feed them a food where I now know is healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad you found something they like and you like the price of! I double checked the contents of the complementary canagan wet food to see if it did contain Taurine and it doesn't - how rubbish is that? As you said Sherry, it should be a requirement of ALL cat food. So out of about 10 different flavours of wet cat food in the brand I buy, only three are complete, which are luckily the flavours Oscar likes. I suppose they do advise you to feed wet and dry and the dry is complete. I have emailed Canagan and told them to make the labels clearer and totally obvious to the buyer or you could be feeding (if only wet) your kitty very expensive food that does not have the nutrients a cat needs. Pretty poor I reckon :sad:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I read somewhere you're supposed to look for "100% complete and balanced" on the package. But this website claims it's bogus:

http://www.wysong.net/pet-health-and-nu ... d-myth.php

I've skimmed through blogs, articles, etc. and everybody says something different! All it does is confuse cat owners.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is confusing. I'm really confused right now as I took Hendrix to the vet this morning as he's having tummy troubles again. I've been told to feed him dry only, which is royal canin sensible, to see if that helps. The wet food I feed him is high meat content and is chicken or chicken and turkey so I'm not mixing the proteins as he's always had a delicate tummy, and to be honest they don't like fish and beef and lamb doesn't agree with them so I don't have much scope.

The vet said he is very healthy otherwise and if that doesn't work we'll look at working out exactly what it is he is sensitive to. He thinks it's the wet that is the problem.

I've always tried to do my best for them food wise by feeding them high quality food, and I make sure I have at least two they are eating in case they turn their noses up at it at any time, and now I have to feed Hendrix exclusively the food I think is the most rubbish!

Jagger won't go for dry only and he certainly won't touch the dry Hendrix has so I'm probably going to need to invest in a sure microchip feeder so Hendrix can't get to it.

But who knows what Hendrix eats when he's outside anyway!?

Oh well. You live and learn. I guess if it sorts hendrix's tummy that's all that matters, but the cat food situation is a mine field!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a thought Claire......does Hendrix get a funny tummy when Jon leaves? could it be stress related?

UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was discussing this with my mum actually. He is the most highly sensitive cat I've ever come across, even being told no when he was a kitten would upset his tummy! It's hard to keep an eye on this now as although last summer he used to come back to use the litter trays, even for a wee, both of them discovered their inner wild cat this year and I only get one or two wee clumps per day.

He didn't use his tray this morning, but I could see there was an issue when he came home, so for peace of mind, I took him in to have him checked out as it's been ongoing. It may be that it is stress related, the last time I had a nasty tray was a few weeks ago when I was asking about probiotics on here, and that coincided with my niece coming to stay who he'd never met before. Hendrix is very wary of strangers so he would have found that stressful even though he surprised me by playing fetch etc with her.

I'm going to give him the probiotic again tonight that you recommended, if I can get an idea if it is food related, stress related or a bit of both, I might be able to find a way forward that will help him when I suspect there is a possibility he's going to be stressed!

He's flat out on the footstool with me at the moment under a throw with just his head showing. I think he wore himself out with all his meowing this morning!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bless him, poor Hendrix. I used some stuff when Oscar first arrived and was stressed and spraying from Nutravet.co.uk called nutracalm. You can only get it from vets and it mimics the calming effect of mummy cats milk. It is very similar to Zylkene but whereas Zylkene takes a while to work, the nutracalm is instant. It may be worth giving Hendrix a few days of it if you know anything that might stress him is coming up. Look on their website and see what you think. It really helped Oscar. There are loads of similar sounding things online but this you can only get from a vet. I still have some if you would like me to send it to you, Oscar will not need it again as he is so laid back now he is horizontal!

UK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you, Melissa, that's really kind of you! But don't worry, right now I'm back to thinking it's the food. I looked at the box this morning, and I bought this batch from a local pet shop, not online like I usually do. I did notice their enthusiasm had waned with this box, but just thought they were getting fussy again and about to go off their favourite food! The date is 6 months older than what I recently bought, and although still in date, I'm now wondering if this was either a bad batch or hadn't been stored correctly somewhere along the line. I've had bad reactions for something like this once before and had to throw a virtually brand new bag of food away once I traced back where the upset tummies came from. So this morning I opened one I'd just bought elsewhere and jagger scoffed it all down straight away, which is the usual state of affairs. I'm going to give Hendrix some with the probiotic and gradually start to cut down on his wet food as the vet suggested and just see what happens. I felt Hendrix had been through enough stress yesterday for me to take away his wet food as well! He really hates car rides and vet visits. I'm going to need the sure microchip pet feeder as well as jagger will go mental if I take his wet food away!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

oh goodness it's just one thing after another with our pets! You need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out! You could be spot on with the sell by date issue. Does Hendrix drink his water well if vet says feed only dry? Because commercial wet food could be the culprit, you could perhaps supplement with homemade cooked chicken etc for the moisture. More work for you I know and you are probably busy enough. I tried a timed feeder with great reviews for Oscar. It was when he was sleeping with us and demanding food at 4am or else it was bounce on head time! I was so excited and duly filled the feeder and put it on the floor at bedtime, timed to open at 4am. Half an hour later the monster had ripped the very sturdy lid off and scoffed the lot. He was then given his own bedroom !!!

UK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I tried an automatic feeder when my two were kittens and we were intending to go out for the day. I did a trial run and literally within seconds of me putting it down, it was thrown across the room and the batteries came flying out. I had to give them the food even though they'd just been fed! It was never going to work so it's been back in its box ever since! These bengals are little terrors!

They both licked their bowls clean this morning which hadn't happened since I started the new box a few days ago. I always give them this food in the morning for that very reason, ie, nothing festering in their bowls while I'm at work. I will still take Hendrix back to dry only as the dry I feed him is for delicate tummies, then gradually reintroduce wet and see how he tolerates it. I will boil some chicken when he's on dry only and make sure he drinks plenty of the broth from it as well. He's not as good at drinking as jagger and that does concern me. I don't wanting him ending up with a urine infection due to lack of moisture in his diet.

Hendrix has been glued to me since the vet visit yesterday, bless him. Jagger noticed the vet smell last night, Hendrix was hissed at and the cat carrier. Things seem ok today though, thank goodness.

I thought having pets was supposed to be relaxing, not stressful lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Clare, it sounds like Hendrix is just a sensitive kitty in more ways than one. He doesn't seem to like "change" in any way. I went to Petco yesterday and picked out some really expensive food for Raiden. They have their Friskies and Fancy Feast in a corner of the store, so I headed to the aisle with Wellness, Nutro, Halo, Royal Canin, etc. I selected a couple of cans of each of the brands (chicken, turkey and beef) and am giving that a try. So far, Raiden gulped up the Wellness Signature Select. My husband nearly fell on the floor over the price of the food, but I don't care! Raiden is going to like this stuff come heck or high water! I'm tired of feeding him the crappy stuff that even looks crappy in the bowl, but he loves it! Over the past two years, I've bought him high-quality food, but he never ate much of it. This time it will be different. It's going to be that or nothing!!! Times they are changing! I always caved in with the cheap stuff because that was what he was used to eating. He just chowed down on some Natural Balance Turkey and Giblets. I bought a huge assortment but it probably won't last but a couple of weeks. As long as the cost of supporting Raiden doesn't interfere with hubby's expensive golf habit, I'm okay! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think these kitties can like the cheap stuff because its got sugar and other rubbish in it - fast food for kitties. Well, we can't really blame them. If someone said to me would you like poached chicken and salad or a crispy creme donut??? I know which one I would go for! :lol:

UK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just had a reply back from Canagan. Apparently so many people have complained about the complete and complementary situation they are making ALL their tins complete. Hooray for customer power! :smile:

UK