[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - I FOUND A GOOD FOOD...I think? Need opinions pls
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi! I haven't been on in a little while....Sheena was spayed, all is good. I'm back to the food dilemma......maybe I just obsess too much. I think I'm driving my husband crazy. I switched my cats over to Newman's Own Organics and they love it. They are both doing well. I love that they love it and I feel good about the ingredients. All but 2, which I just found out are not very good for them. After I've bought an entire closet full of the canned food......I became aware that carageenan and guar gum are not healthy to ingest. They are both in Newman's Own, used as thickening agents. I called the vet who works with the company and he hasn't called back yet because he's on vacation. They assured me that he will call, but what is he going to say? He's one of the vets who formulated the food! Of course he will stand by it. Even though the carageenan is boiled, not chemically processed, there is much concern over the waters where they harvest this red seaweed. The radioactive leakage from the Fukushima disaster is poisoning the sea life. Even though Newman's Own gets their carageenan in the southern hemisphere, there is no guarantee that the radiation hasn't permeated that far south. There is so much controversy about these ingredients that I am uncomfortable now. I picked up some Nature's Variety raw and my bengal is eating it, but not my other cat. They do like the freeze-dried raw treats though. What is everyone's opinion on carageenan, guar gum, and raw food?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:34 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi! I haven't been on in a little while....Sheena was spayed, all is good. I'm back to the food dilemma......maybe I just obsess too much. I think I'm driving my husband crazy. I switched my cats over to Newman's Own Organics and they love it. They are both doing well. I love that they love it and I feel good about the ingredients. All but 2, which I just found out are not very good for them. After I've bought an entire closet full of the canned food......I became aware that carageenan and guar gum are not healthy to ingest. They are both in Newman's Own, used as thickening agents. I called the vet who works with the company and he hasn't called back yet because he's on vacation. They assured me that he will call, but what is he going to say? He's one of the vets who formulated the food! Of course he will stand by it. Even though the carageenan is boiled, not chemically processed, there is much concern over the waters where they harvest this red seaweed. The radioactive leakage from the Fukushima disaster is poisoning the sea life. Even though Newman's Own gets their carageenan in the southern hemisphere, there is no guarantee that the radiation hasn't permeated that far south. There is so much controversy about these ingredients that I am uncomfortable now. I picked up some Nature's Variety raw and my bengal is eating it, but not my other cat. They do like the freeze-dried raw treats though. What is everyone's opinion on carageenan, guar gum, and raw food?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:07 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ive heard some cats get bad smelly or loose stool possibly due to guar gum and carageenan but others do well. I feed my cats a 100% raw diet. Anything other than raw, they will get smelly and loose stool ussually.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know anything about those ingredients but I wanted to say I'm impressed by your thoroughness!

I do make my own raw food (though I admit I do supplement with dry food as well). The great thing about making your own food is you know exactly what's in there. You can make a nice organic food that is great for your cats and I suspect it will always work out much cheaper than buying tinned organic cat food.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't know about those specific ingredients, but I have been feeding my cats Mauri venison and they are thriving on it:
http://www.mauripetfood.com/why-choose-mauri/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my goodness! I have never been overly concerned with ingredients in cat food -- in fact, how on earth do you even read the ingredients on a tiny can? I've tried to give Raiden Newman's and he turned up his nose! I applaud you for caring so very much -- but you will drive yourself totally insane over this! The key is to find a food that your kitty will eat. It's pointless to find the perfect food with the perfect ingredients if your cat refuses to eat it! Now I feel as if I'm an inadequate mom because I simply rely on the fact it's cat food and it's good for the cat! I've have spent a fortune on high-quality cat food for Raiden and he will not eat it!

Have you thought about going to a raw diet that you control what ingredients are in there?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:38 pm 
Senior Bengal

I bought frozen Instinct Raw from Nature's Variety. Sheena nibbled at it and walked away....Ripley wouldn't touch it.
I think I have OCD when it comes to feeding my cats. I think I'll stop reading so much. They love Newman's. Done deal :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, as long as they enjoy the food -- that's the most important thing. I know we humans eat processed foods that have all sorts of crap in them that we don't need -- I don't read all the ingredients. If I like it, I eat it! You're such a good mom to Sheena and Ripley!