[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Need to change food???
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need to change food???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:19 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi....when I got Sheena (my Bengal), I had an 8 month old Bombay who had transitioned nicely from Iams to Merrick dry & wet food. Then I got Sheena when she was 7 weeks old and the breeder had weaned the kittens onto Purina One Smart Blend Salmon & Tuna dry food and Friskies Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Pate wet food. I've always had my cats on grain free high quality food. I attempted to gradually change her diet which coincided with her 2nd 3-in-1 shot. She got so sick and I didn't know if it was from the shot, or from the food change. Sick to the point that the vet wanted to put her on I.V. fluids because she wouldn't eat anything. I immediately changed back to the Purina One and Friskies. She smelled her food and gagged. It was terrifying..she was a 2.8 ounce skeleton. The day I was to bring her back to the vet for the I.V. fluids, she started eating again. That was Day 5 and it took a good week more for her stools to become normal again. Both my cats were eating the Purina One and Friskies, because I couldn't feed two different foods. This made me uncomfortable, but they were both pooping normally. Two months later, I attempted to switch again. I read that Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural was very good for Bengals who are known to have sensitive stomachs. Same thing....(just my Bengal) vomiting & diarrhea. Back to the Purina One and Friskies again. Last week, I decided that if they were going to eat Purina One Smart Blend Salmon & Tuna dry food, I may as well get the Purina One wet food so at least I stick with the same company. I bought the 3 oz cans of salmon and tuna. They don't come mixed in the wet food, so I had to buy them separately. I mixed a teaspoon of the Purina One salmon into their Friskies wet food and immediately after eating the salmon, Sheena threw up everything. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really don't want them eating this crappy food. My Bombay is fine with anything, but Sheena is so sensitive. Is it really bad that they continue to eat this low quality food? Help! Thx.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Changing a cat's diet has to happen gradually. Once they get used to a food, introducing a new one can cause digestive upsets in a cat! I'm basically in the same boat you are. Raiden's previous owner only fed him cheap, dry food for six years. I've bought every brand of food, every type of food (canned) and unless it's Friskies or Fancy Feast, Raiden won't eat it! I did manage to get him on a grain-free dry food. He doesn't care for cooked meat and definitely will not touch raw. Nothing bothers me worse than paying $1.50 for a 3 oz can of wet food only to have him look up at me and say, "I'm supposed to eat this?" I can see the actual chicken or turkey in the food. I mean, it looks and smells good enough for ME to eat it! There was one can that he did inhale and I can't even remember the brand or the type. Raiden does not like any type of seafood, period! He's only into chicken, turkey and beef. The raccoons behind my house eat really well as I give them the leftover food Raiden won't eat! They say cats are finicky eaters. Raiden is a perfect size and weight. I wish he would eat a higher quality of food. I still have cans of the expensive food in my pantry and try something new every now and then. He'll lick a little bit of it and walk away.

I'm really surprised your breeder would not feed the kittens a high-quality kitten food.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Sherry,
It's so frustrating, isn't it? When Sheena got really sick the breeder said I should keep her on the cheap food she was weaned onto for a year before I switch. He said he tried to put his cats on grain-free food and he had the same results....sick cats for over a week. I'm reading there is not much difference between grain free and non-grain free. The grain free is higher in carbs, actually, because they use another binding ingredient such as potatoes or such. This morning when I got up I fed my cats the usual...a quarter can of wet and Sheena threw THAT up! I couldn't understand why, since she's been fine on it. Then I realized I gave her TWO chicken flavored Temptations last night. I'm wondering.......... Anyway, I was going to attempt to slowing transition onto a good dry food today - SLOWLY, meaning 3 or 4 kibbles at a time - and now I guess that's out til I'm sure she's not going to vomit for a couple of days. :cry: My poor Ripley (my Bombay) was doing wonderfully on Merrick wet & dry food for 5 months. Then I got Sheena. Now he's been demoted to Purina One and Friskies. :-(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You also might want to try and feed even smaller portions and more meals per day. It doesn't take much to upset a tummy -- I think we all know that for ourselves. You just have to monitor more closely. I know grain-free has its other issues, but I think it's better than the regular dry. These companies have been making cat food for decades and millions of cats eat their products with no problem. A couple of treats should not cause any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:05 pm 
Senior Bengal

My thoughts, exactly - very small frequent portions. I am at the pet store now. I am so confused as to what dry food to get. :question:
I'm going to try the change again. Baby steps. A couple of kibble pieces at a time. It may take 6 months to do this, but I cringe at what they are now on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:49 pm 
Senior Bengal

Well, after spending an hour in the pet store reading every label and changing my mind at least 4 times, I settled on Natural Balance Wild Pursuit grain free chicken, turkey meal & quail formula dry food. It has freeze-fried raw bits in it. I mixed 1 tsp in with the Purina One SmartBlend. Let's see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:04 am 
Bengal Kitten

When I got Hazel, she was exclusively on raw. I wanted to put a little high quality wet food in for snacks and so she'd be used to it if I forgot to thaw or had someone else watching her. I went way too aggressively with it off the start and she got pretty sick and I felt awful. Once she was good again, I did it way more gradually. Like mixing in 20% of her meal as wet for a week or so before I upped the portion. Now she can eat raw, Tiki Cat and Hound & Gatos without issues. Although she's not crazy about H & G. I'd just go very slow if I were you and find a brand she likes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The pet store is the worst place to go looking for food. There are 100 different types and it just confuses you. A knowledgeable employee might have been able to help you out. I know you are looking for a permanent food to get them over to .... but it might take some time. The first thing is to stop the vomiting and let the tummy settle down a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 pm 
Senior Bengal

Well, after four meals adding 1/2 tsp. wet in with the Friskies wet, I decided to add a whole tsp this time. She turned her nose up and walked away. I didn't realize I had a finicky kitty. Great. No vomiting though. I've been mixing 1/2 tsp. dry into the Purina One. We shall see! This may take a while :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh how I hate it when Raiden will turn his nose up over a food that he's loved in the past! Or, a food that he has refused to eat in the past, he'll start inhaling it! You can't figure out cats.