[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Switching to Raw Meat for Bengal Cat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have two Bengals cats, I female and 1 male. Our female Millie is 2 years old quite stocky and is happy and healthy. Our male Cooper is an F2, he is such a well behaved, loving and care free boy, we read a lot of horror stories about F2 males after we purchased Cooper but he's a complete soppy mummy's boy. He is a year and a half old and we currently feed him
On Felix as good as it looks pouches&dry food, he also get cooked meets every few nights but we feel he has stayed the same weight and not really getting bigger, we have estimated his weight at 11 pound roughly. After reading up on the internet that by age 2 they should be around 15-20 pound we have started looking up other foods that we could be feeing him and lots of people have said that a raw diet would be best. We don't feel that he is getting the nutrients that he needs from the food he currently eats so we are open to trying out the raw foods.

We would like to know if we are able to switch him over to raw foods after he has been on pouches? Also, how should we go about doing this and what meats should we be feeding him? Is it ok to freeze and defrost the meats? And how often should he be eating it? Should we be feeding the raw meats along with pouches or should he be only on raw meats?

I would be very greatful for any advice or tips :)! Thanks in advance ... Claire x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Claire!

I have both an ocicat and bengal mix. I personally prefer raw diet and I think the kitties do too - but my partner is a little less enthused, so we do both. I did a lot of research and this was my favorite site: http://rawfedcats.org/nature.htm

My cats won't eat the raw bone, so I supplement the raw meat & skin with Felini Complete - it's a simple powder that you sprinkle on the food and mix with warm water. I don't have a grinder - so I cut the meat by hand & freeze it in tiny 1-portion containers. With a good grinder you can incorporate the bone and wouldn't need to add the powder (just never give them cooked bone - only raw is safe).

I started them both off as soon as I got them from the breeders (16 weeks) and they took to it immediately. As yours are older - you might need to transition. Mine eat chicken, turkey, duck and beef (duck seems to be the favorite). I cut it into very tiny pieces when kittens and bigger pieces as they got older - if they're not used to chewing raw meat, you want to start with tinier pieces. As their jaws get stronger, they'll be able to handle larger parts. They also like chicken hearts - but you want to limit the amount of organ meat you feed them to about 5%.

I like the raw diet, because the cats seem to regulate how much they eat. It's a little more work for me - but the price is actually less than a lot of the premium food and I love how healthy, shiny and muscular they are!

Hope this helps! :D