It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:37 am 
Bengal Kitten

Ok you can probably guess what's coming next, my kitties are like bag pipes that stink. When you pick them up they let rip and it's not a pleasant experience. They do seem to stink bomb more often than any cat I have had before, is this normal ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

not really no.

This can be a sign of fear (do they do it when surprised or picked up suddenly?).
But also a sign of illness.
The action of squeezing the tummy when picking up a gassy cat can trigger a fart... this may be nothing to do with stress or fear and could be a food intolerance or illness.

The question really is what do kitty's poops look like?

Dry and black/dark brown?
Or
Wet and pale brown/yellow? (and more smelly)
Or even runny?

If they have a bug it can be tested for... if it is fear/stress poos will get better and gas should stop.

Do you feed ONE kind of food? what treats do you give on top?

Good luck fixing this :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi.
They are fed whiskers kitten dry food, which is available to them all of the time, but whisker pouch food for breakfast. In the evening they will have either pure fish or a kitten tinned food. Sometimes they will get chicken breast but nothing junk foody that they really shouldn't be eating.

A lot of the gas is when they are picked up or when they are having their rough play together, but they also do the silent ones when asleep.

Poos are good, firm and typical poo brown colour :lol:

Been checked by vet and they are very healthy and very active too, I can hear them stampeding through bedrooms as I type.

Might be worth looking at moving away from the whiskers food then ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When Lily farts it smells really bad but it's never often. I've only heard it twice in the 4 months I've had her.
It could be something they're eating?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi!

If you see my other forum on gas (which will now be right below this one since I just posted there :) ), my kittens had a similar issue. Really foul gas smell, sometime a loose stool (but not regularly). I thought it was food but got them tested just in case, and it turned out to be Giardia. It seems like Giardia can present itself in varying degrees of symptoms, and one can be present without the other (gas without diarrhea, diarrhea without foam on it, etc). There was certainly no reflection in my cat's behavior, they would rumble up and down the halls and act like nothing was the matter. Also, when I changed the food, their symptoms got better, even though it turned out they were sick the whole time - so there can be a lot of interfering factors in how the parasite presents itself too.

Good luck, and I encourage you to get their stools tested. If nothing comes back, at least your mind will be at ease and you can play around with foods that they can tolerate better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Many thanks for the tip, will get this tested as they are due their second jabs soon. Going to google it now and read up on it.
Once again, thanks for the help !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It could also be the food. Tried to find Whiskers on the internet and could not find. Was it Whiskas? If it is thats a corn and soy based feed. Alot of cats do not tolerate that well. Cats require no carbs...that is ultra high in carbs.

If you cant get another brand I would stick to the wet stuff. The worst canned food is usually better then nearly any dry food. Were conditioned to think dry cat food is great since all of our lives its what we've seen. That base of that stuff is corn meal, by product animal meat thats like the pink slime they were using in hamburger. They mix, spray a vitamin mix in. Bake it at like 800 degree and then spray it with a animal fat spray to make it enticing to animals.

The first cat foods came out middle of last decade in a attempt to dispose of waste animal by product as post WW2/Depression USA was booming. Since Corn and Soy are the cheapest crops from being farmed in mass they use that as its cheap.

The result can be alot of gas in animals..dogs as well.

More expensive premium dry foods replace most of that with other plant material to add mass...like potatoes, peas, rice. They do that as its about impossible to just have dry meat in a edible form and one that stores for a long time. You do some reading even that is not highly suggested. They do that since you can obtain protein from plant sources...which are cheap.

Where as say Whiskas wet food is nearly all meat of some sort any carbs are for thickening of the food.