It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: live fish
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 am 
Bengal Cat

Hi all,
I have a Bengal boy about 6months old now, who becomes bored with toys quickly and is howling with boredom.
He loves to splash in water, so I thought about getting some goldfish and putting them in the tub for a more natural toy. Of course I would make sure there are grip stickers in and around the tub so he doesn't slip and hurt himself. My question is is there any health risk from LIVE fish for a cat? I do know there are some rare illnesses from fish that can be passed to humans, mainly fish TB, but I work in an aquarium shop and even with my hands in the water 8-9 hours a day for years I have yet to contract anything, I have only heard of a few reported cases of fish TB in humans in the world. And I know what to look for in a sick fish and would avoid those obvious ones.
Has anyone else tried this or know any information? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: live fish
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

RandomTabby wrote:
Hi all,
I have a Bengal boy about 6months old now, who becomes bored with toys quickly and is howling with boredom.
He loves to splash in water, so I thought about getting some goldfish and putting them in the tub for a more natural toy. Of course I would make sure there are grip stickers in and around the tub so he doesn't slip and hurt himself. My question is is there any health risk from LIVE fish for a cat? I do know there are some rare illnesses from fish that can be passed to humans, mainly fish TB, but I work in an aquarium shop and even with my hands in the water 8-9 hours a day for years I have yet to contract anything, I have only heard of a few reported cases of fish TB in humans in the world. And I know what to look for in a sick fish and would avoid those obvious ones.
Has anyone else tried this or know any information? Thanks!

I have seen video's of it being done on youtube, and probably everyone else here has too. That does not mean it is right to do it.

IMO it is a practice bordering on animal cruelty, there is not really any justification in permitting a goldfish (however stupid they may be) to be placed in a indefensible position and tormented maybe to death for the entertainment of another animal.

Get a selection of toys which he likes and only give him one or two at a time to play with, rotating them every few days to keep them interesting, get some iterative toys such as da-bird, da-mouse and become active in the play sessions, buy or make climbing systems with cubby holes etc so he has something to do ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is not bordering on, it IS animal cruelty.

Fish feel pain just like any other animal.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligen ... ities.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dunno..has anyone seen what animals go through before slaughter to feed your cats and yourselves? Fish in a tub is very minimal IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you really want to put something in the bath for your cat to play with why not get some of the wind up bath toys for kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wonder if the fish would enjoy it? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 pm 
Senior Bengal

I agree with getting some wind up kids toys and putting them in a bowl or bath.....

My hubby loves fish and was mortified by this suggestion....wondered how ud feel if your cat was put in a cage and poked by something it was terrified of for hours on end just for entertainment?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengalsmitten wrote:
I dunno..has anyone seen what animals go through before slaughter to feed your cats and yourselves? Fish in a tub is very minimal IMO.

To clarify, I'm not for the idea, just putting forth another thought. I do have a couple questions though...What is the game plan for when your cat gets bored of the fish? Where do you draw the line?

What about trying doing Cat Agility exercises?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sol plays with tin foil in the bath. Cut it into fish shapes if that makes you feel better.
Real fish??? Sometimes I seriously wonder :roll: To even think of it??What is wrong with people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

why would you want to torment fish like that?

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:42 am 
Bengal Cat

I think Bengalsmitten has a good point.
I am vegetarian, practically vegan. How about the rest of you? And no matter what food you choose to feed your cat, it is another animal which suffered and died. If we were all saints we would be vegans with rabbits.
I fully realize fish feel pain, and I know how to put them to sleep if they need it. Cats in the wild torture and kill small animals for a living, so what if a cat has one real meal in captivity. What about all the indoor-outdoor city cats out there who spend all night and day hunting?
The point of using real fish is that they are a challenge. My cat has dabird, laser pointer, catnip, all sorts of stuffed toys and balls, etc etc etc and another kitten friend, and he still gets bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 am 
Bengal Cat

I have several spare aquariums at home, or could always bring the fish back to the shop where I work.
I think a quick death by cat/knife/freezing is better than the thousands of fish who die slowly and painfully by poisoning themselves in under maintained tanks by neglectful owners. Or being flushed down the toilet, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

RandomTabby wrote:
I am vegetarian, practically vegan. How about the rest of you?

And yet you fail to see the difference between doing it for amusement, and doing it for sustenance? You see an animal as a possible replacement for you cats toys? Sheesh.

RandomTabby wrote:
I fully realize fish feel pain, and I know how to put them to sleep if they need it.

Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RandomTabby wrote:
I think Bengalsmitten has a good point.
I am vegetarian, practically vegan. How about the rest of you? And no matter what food you choose to feed your cat, it is another animal which suffered and died. If we were all saints we would be vegans with rabbits.
I fully realize fish feel pain, and I know how to put them to sleep if they need it. Cats in the wild torture and kill small animals for a living, so what if a cat has one real meal in captivity. What about all the indoor-outdoor city cats out there who spend all night and day hunting?
The point of using real fish is that they are a challenge. My cat has dabird, laser pointer, catnip, all sorts of stuffed toys and balls, etc etc etc and another kitten friend, and he still gets bored.

Yes cat will catch, torture and kill animals, it is in their nature to do so, it is a survival instinct and if they were not being fed by us the prey would be eaten to keep them alive.

The prey also has the chance of escape!

Te fish in your case would have no such possibility, it is confined to an area where it has no way out and no-where to hide, being caught and mauled (probably repeatedly) being its only option.

If indeed you do work in an aquarium store I am really surprised you still have a job, I wonder what the customers would have to say if they were made aware that the person selling them fish takes them home to be mauled to death by their cat?

If you cannot see what is wrong with your plan I wonder if you are really of suitable character to own any pet let alone a cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry but your point is ridiculous.... cats do hunt, and torment animals in the wild, but you dont bring an innocent fish into your home to let your cat torment it, cats dont know any better, you are human and do know better or should..... why are you a vegan? coz you dont think its acceptable to eat animals for food? yet your willing to let your cat torture a fish slowly for fun....

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...